Custom Character Crash

Eranthis

I am currently having difficulties in creating a custom character to use for Don't Starve. I'm trying to tweak the sampled version of a character folder to add to the "mods" folder of the Don't Starve directory. The samples are found here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/202-sample-mods/

Using just the sample folder alone in the game seems to work and the only real accomplishment I manage to edit within it is creating a speech file for the character. However when I attempt to rename the sample name "wod" inside every single lua and xml file (using notepad++) and the build.bin using the renamer tool, my game freezes or crashes when I check mark the character under the mods. Since renaming everything twice left me to crashing the game constantly, I decided to accept the default name and started working on the tex files. However even when I replace a single tex file within the directory of my mod, the crashing still resumes. I don't know if the texcreator program is outdated, if I missed some kind of input, or if I missed a single name within the files (which I likely doubt) but nothing seems to be working.

I'm open to anything up to this point.

First thing to do when mod crashes would be to find your log.txt and see why it actually crashes - its in My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\log.txt on windows. Quite hard to guess what went wrong without it.

AH! I see now! I never knew there was a log that showed the details of the crash! Luckily I found the problem with the tex files. I just need to fix the file name problem. I'll update when I run into that.

AH! I see now! I never knew there was a log that showed the details of the crash! Luckily I found the problem with the tex files. I just need to fix the file name problem. I'll update when I run into that.

name problems are very annoying when using something else as a base to edit off of which is why I like to start fresh ~MOST~ of the time... but since you are knew... you should use CTRL+F (using notepad++) on all XMLs and LUAs (including the modmain) and search for all instances of "wod" that should find everything you need to replace... just make sure you replace everything with something easy to remember! (OH no spaces or capital letters... using spaces or capitals will crash your game!)

name problems are very annoying when using something else as a base to edit off of which is why I like to start fresh ~MOST~ of the time... but since you are knew... you should use CTRL+F (using notepad++) on all XMLs and LUAs (including the modmain) and search for all instances of "wod" that should find everything you need to replace... just make sure you replace everything with something easy to remember! (OH no spaces or capital letters... using spaces or capitals will crash your game!)

I DO use the replace option for every wod word which is why I'm confused it crashes all the time. But you also mentioned no spaces or capital letters and yet the tutorial I worked off says that all capital wod words must be renamed with caps as well. I'm a little confused now.

I DO use the replace option for every wod word which is why I'm confused it crashes all the time. But you also mentioned no spaces or capital letters and yet the tutorial I worked off says that all capital wod words must be renamed with caps as well. I'm a little confused now.

just leave your character name basic (for example my characters' prefab names in the Markiplier mod are markiplier and wilford)

Archived