[Crash] - The game starts but nothing happens

Bug Submission:

Category: Crash

Platform: PC

Issue Title: The game starts but nothing happens

Issue Description: I start the game, i see the window for the game, but not the text (i ve attached a photo of how it looks). The image shows all i can see of the game, the screen doesnt change, no matter the time i wait.

I tried verifying the cache, reinstalling, in compatibility mode and admin. The same problem happened every time.

There is nothing in the log, as the game actually does start.

Steps to Reproduce: just start the game from steam or the .exe file.

Responses are given when solutions or troubleshooting suggestions are found. Unfortunately, neither were found if Klei has not responded yet.  Giving more detailed system/game information may help. 

Also, let us know if this is windows xp?

While waiting, can you please attach a copy of your DXDiag, and any log.txt/savegame if the game ever did work?

Unless I am missing anything else @Wade, @JanH, @rooks etc?

Thanks for the answer. As i said, i have windows 7.

I dont have any save game data because all i can see in game is what i attached in the photo. If i click anywhere in the window, the game stops and i have to end the procedure. Same thing with the log.txt. I do have one, but is completely empty.

Im attaching the dxdiag.

DxDiag Bilenave.txt

• Developer

I'm not seeing anything in the dxdiag that should pose a problem, unless for some reason we have a particular problem with that specific AMD video card.

Something you can try is running the game with the command-line "-DEV".  This should open up a secondary console window along with the game window which may contain relevant diagnostic information, since apparently the logfile is empty.  You can do this a couple of ways:

(1) Browse to invisibleinc.exe in Explorer.  Create a shortcut.  In the Target: text box, append -DEV after the quoted path to the executable.

(2) Browse to the folder where invisibleinc.exe is located in a command window (cmd.exe).  Run "invisibleinc.exe -DEV".

If possible, paste or upload a screenshot of the console window.  Let us know if you have any problems getting that to work.  Thanks!

Hi, thanks  for the answer.

I try doing it the two ways. The first one didnt let me add the -dev command line for some reason.

So i tried doing it with cmd. I was able, i started the game and steam prompted a window asking if i wanted to start the game with the -dev command. I say yes, but nothing new happened. There was no secondary console window when the game window opened (which still only shows Koei logo on the bottom right and nothing else happen, like in the pic in the 2nd post of this thread).

That steam asked me if i wanted to open the game with the -dev suggest me that i did it right, but if for some reason you think i messed up somewhere, please let me know so i can try again.

What Steam exatly said was this: Allow Invisible, Inc. to launch with optional command line "-dev" ? If you did not request this launch then click cancel.

• Developer

That message sounds correct, but note that the command-line must be capitalized: -DEV.  Did you perchance enter it lower-cased?

Another couple things to try:

If you hit F1 with the blank window in focus, does anything happen?

Are you able to close the window normally by clicking the 'X' close button in the top-right corner?

If yes, does the logfile 'invisibleinc.txt' found in the Klei directory then have any contents?  If you checked the log file prior to the game window is closed, that might explain why it was empty before -- usually the game must shutdown for the log to properly flush to disk.

I'm actually more interested to know if the game worked before and not now? if so, can you also provide your save file?

I'm guessing something happened in loading the settings from the save file, because if you to take a look at the screen shot, the bottom right KLEI logo does get loaded, so ... yeah.

You were right, i wrote dev, not DEV, sorry. Now it did work. Im attaching a pic of all the content of the command window.

Clicking F1 does nothing sadly. 

When i click the X to close it, the window will say that its not responding, after a while or if i click again, a windows promps will show up saying the game is not working and that its trying to find a solution, which never works.

I do have an invisibleinc.txt in the log folder, but its empty, i just double checked. 

No, the game never worked, i bought it last week, so i was never able to play it.

Something i did not say, is that for a microsecond when the game start to opens, there seems to be like a little flash on the screen with what seems to be a cmd screen. I cant see it everytime tho. Also, like the 3rd or 4th time i tried opening the game the day i bought it, the game after clicking on the window showed what it seems to be a menu, but was also for a really small time, so im not really sure if thats what it was. I was not able to replicate that.

post-462404-0-47308000-1412166025_thumb.

• Developer

Hey nicobile, we haven't been able to reproduce this particular issue yet, and since your console is displaying no errors it's going to be a bit of guesswork to track down the problem.  However, this doesn't mean we've given up. :)  My plan is to add some diagnostic information to the output that hopefully will help us narrow down what's going wrong.  This will go in the next update (currently scheduled for the 13th)  I'll re-post here at that time, which will probably involve you running in DEV mode again.

Thanks for your patience!

• Developer

Hey nicobile,

After today's (Oct 14th) update, are you able to repeat this experiment and run the game in -DEV?  Some extra information in the black console window that appears might be useful, if you can paste a screen shot of that just as you did before.

I just checked your DirectX log, I've noticed your Driver version is 13.152.1.8

And the latest driver on the official site (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064) is 14.9, give that a try.

The thing is that i dont like using beta drivers, more than once they fucked up my pc or my enjoyment of some game.

If you say there is a big chance that this is the problem, i ll install it nonetheless :)

HI guys, im still unable to play the game. I recently changed the GPU to Nvidia 980 and still i get the same problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: I was just trying different compatibility options and when i selected the run the .exe in 256 colors, i can hear the game music, but the game closes a couple of seconds later, in those seconds i cant see anything, just hear the music and see whatever i have open on my pc.

I noticed that there were 4 new  archives in invisibleinc folder (the one inside steam, not  mydocuments), im attaching them to this post

invisibleinc_120654_crash_2014_12_25T22_54_43C0.mdmpinvisibleinc_120654_crash_2014_12_25T22_56_20C0.mdmpinvisibleinc_120654_crash_2014_12_25T22_58_26C0.mdmpinvisibleinc_120654_crash_2014_12_25T22_58_53C0.mdmp

• Developer

Apologies for losing track of your post after the holidays, let's see if we can nail this down.  So to clarify the issue at this point: when you launch, you get a window with a black screen (but can hear music).

Does the game still crash after that for you?

Has the behaviour changed at all since Sept.?

Archived