Easier wall building

Hello all!

I really like DS and even more RoG, but something I really have trouble with is building a nicely walled camp. Putting blocks one by one is a painful loss of time, and a very small missclick can make an ugly edge or leave a nearly invisible hole. So i'd like to know if there is a mod that can make lines of wall blocks, or if it is possible to make one. For example we can imagine that a first click would start a line, and a second click would end it, or we could drag a line while holding the mouse button. I guess that it would also be possible to do it for lines of other stuff, like trees or planted grass.

Anyway, is there a solution to make wall building more comfortable?

Hello all!

I really like DS and even more RoG, but something I really have trouble with is building a nicely walled camp. Putting blocks one by one is a painful loss of time, and a very small missclick can make an ugly edge or leave a nearly invisible hole. So i'd like to know if there is a mod that can make lines of wall blocks, or if it is possible to make one. For example we can imagine that a first click would start a line, and a second click would end it, or we could drag a line while holding the mouse button. I guess that it would also be possible to do it for lines of other stuff, like trees or planted grass.

Anyway, is there a solution to make wall building more comfortable?

Use Architectural Geometry ...

Use Architectural Geometry ...

You couldn't be farther from right. I use AG too, and whilst it is amazingly useful for farms, racks, and so on, I doesn't really work with walls.

Structures only snap onto a grid after all, and walls have a grid already, resulting in a conflict. It's best to hold CTRL and thus disable AG while building walls.

You couldn't be farther from right. I use AG too, and whilst it is amazingly useful for farms, racks, and so on, I doesn't really work with walls.

Structures only snap onto a grid after all, and walls have a grid already, resulting in a conflict. It's best to hold CTRL and thus disable AG while building walls.

Sorry ... I thought it can be useful when building walls 'coz I never tried AG

Mobbstar is right. I used to play with AG, it's really useful to design a well ordered base, but you still have to put each wall block manually. What I'm looking for is a way to make wall building partially automatic, just like most RTS games. The problem is that I don't even know if it is possible to create this kind of feature in a RoG mod. But I really think it would help a lot those who like to enclose their base like me.

There was talk before about making a mod to construct a pre-built wall. So then you could just place a 4,6 or 8 block wall but nothing ever came of it, sadly. I'll agree with what's been said about AG. It's a very useful mod, just not for placing walls.

In the meantime, rotate your screen alot and go slowly. Once you get used to it, you can actually build them pretty quick, but it takes alot of practice and patience. Get used to your character doing the wall building dance and when that happens, it usually means your too close to place the wall. Run a few spaces away and try again.

I know it's not what you were hoping to hear but it is what it is.

Thank you Spencer, you confirmed what I expected. The idea of a pre-built wall is good, so it's a pity that it has never been concluded. So I guess I'll keep on building my walls step by step. I'm not sure to have enough courage to dive in Lua language, but who knows? If I make a mod myself, i'll share it there, of course.

Good luck to all survivalists!

Archived