[Terrified newb]Four agents and a prisoner: Can I safely escape?

At this moment, I'm playing literally my first game of Invisible Inc that I have a chance of completing.  First two missions gave me two agents, and the added manpower let me breeze through day2.

It's day 3, and I'm on my second-to-last mission.  I infilitrate yet another corporate holding cell, get surprised by the appearance of armored guards, and have Shalem 11 shoot a bloody, bloody path through the level.  I manage to free the prisoner and somehow get everyone to the elevator after encounter after encounter goes FUBAR (one involving me losing literally half my team after misunderstanding Overwatch mechanics*, and then thanking the gods I had 2 spare medi-gel taking up inventory space).

But I'm at an impasse:  There are 4 spaces in the elevator. 

I have 5 units.

I have no idea what happens if I press "escape" when there are people outside the elevator.

And I can't experiment and "see what happens", because if I'm wrong that this game's awful save mechanics* will ruin me.

What do I do?

**I enjoy Ironman-style games, but when I'm still learning the game mechanics I'd like the option for a do-over when I learn too late that you can't (for example) safely move out of and then back into an Overwatching guard's LoS.  Or that taking non-movement actions can still set off Overwatch shots.  Or that some guards can't be tased with the default equipment.  Or...

*Scenario: Shalem 11 is next to a door, an armored guard is in the doorframe (but not adjacent).  Said guard has been alerted to another agent in the room.  For some reason, Shalem cannot shoot the guard from his present location, but if literally anyone moves they get shot dead.  Was I just screwed?  Or could Shalem have gotten LoS with a Peek?

You are right only 4 people at a time maximum can go in the elevator.

It then takes 2 turns to return. 

if you know you can wait it out safely, send the prisoner up, wait and all board after the return. If not, you'll have to send part of your team up that needs to go, suggesting you keep a majority in  base, then send the rest up after the minority left when it returns in two more turns.  

You are right only 4 people at a time maximum can go in the elevator.

It then takes 2 turns to return. 

if you know you can wait it out safely, send the prisoner up, wait and all board after the return. If not, you'll have to send part of your team up that needs to go, suggesting you keep a majority in  base, then send the rest up after the minority left when it returns in two more turns.  

Thanks.  Hmmm.  It's good to know that the "escape" button doesn't immediately end the mission.

Need to think this through:

-Good news: Everyone's weapons are off cooldown, but Deckard's cloak has been used.

-Bad news: I just hit Alarm 5 (easy).  Elite reinforcements are about to pour in, and I don't know where from.  I've never faced elite guard before, I don't know if Shalem's pistol can handle them.

-There's a pile of 4 guards right outside the elevator room.  One will wake up as soon as I hit "end turn".

-I'm out of medi-gel.  Anyone who gets shot, gets left behind.

-I REALLY want to save Orange Jumpsuit Guy.  (How much money do I get for that?  I've never saved Orange Jumpsuit before.)

One question: You say the elevator takes 2 turns to return.  So if I send up the prisoner on turn 0, the elevator will spend turn 1 going to the roof -- what happens on turn 2?  Can I immediately evac the rest of my team?  Or do they need to wait for turn 3 to get out?

(Why can't I seem to find this information in-game???)

My instinct is that, since at the moment I'm not dealing with any guards, if the other guys can leave turn 2 than I only really have to "survive" through one turn -- but if not, than I should just cut my losses and leave.  One last question -- what kind of armor do Elite guards have?  Can Shalem's pistol deal with them?

Thanks.  Hmmm.  It's good to know that the "escape" button doesn't immediately end the mission.

Need to think this through:

-Good news: Everyone's weapons are off cooldown, but Deckard's cloak has been used.

-Bad news: I just hit Alarm 5 (easy).  Elite reinforcements are about to pour in, and I don't know where from.  I've never faced elite guard before, I don't know if Shalem's pistol can handle them.

-There's a pile of 4 guards right outside the elevator room.  One will wake up as soon as I hit "end turn".

-I'm out of medi-gel.  Anyone who gets shot, gets left behind.

-I REALLY want to save Orange Jumpsuit Guy.  (How much money do I get for that?  I've never saved Orange Jumpsuit before.)

One question: You say the elevator takes 2 turns to return.  So if I send up the prisoner on turn 0, the elevator will spend turn 1 going to the roof -- what happens on turn 2?  Can I immediately evac the rest of my team?  Or do they need to wait for turn 3 to get out?

(Why can't I seem to find this information in-game???)

My instinct is that, since at the moment I'm not dealing with any guards, if the other guys can leave turn 2 than I only really have to "survive" through one turn -- but if not, than I should just cut my losses and leave.  One last question -- what kind of armor do Elite guards have?  Can Shalem's pistol deal with them?

There's a room with some red rectangles that look like elevator doors? They are an elevator, THEIR elevator. This is where extra guards will come from. 

You have to wait two full turns. On the beginning of the third turn, your elevator's back. 

The Prisoner scales according to day. i forget how much day 3 ones are ATM. 

Elite guards may not be armored, or they may. It varies but assume AP 1 most times for newly spawned ones at worst. If you have the ammo and reloading sounds won't be a trouble, most likely Shalem 11 can. 

Just reviewed the save file:

-The elevator room is fairly large, and has 2 doors the guards could enter through.  Both doors have LoS on the elevator entrance.

-There are only 2 guard-spawnpoint-elevators relevant to my predicament.  The others are in unexplored bits of map far, far away from the exit elevator. 

-One spawnpoint has an Enforcer(What does it do?) in it, the other I don't have vision into.

-Both guards need to move 11 or 12* squares to get LoS into the exit room.  If they enter through either doorway, they will have LoS over the elevator entrance.

-As far as I know, every other guard in the level is either dead, or sleeping *just* outside the elevator. 

Plan:

-On turn 0, I send up the Prisoner and set up I set up Overwatch traps next to both doors.  One sleeping guard wakes up, two Enforces charge my location.  Anyone who enters the room gets tased.

-On turn 1, I drag bodies out of doorways and keep the ambushes going.  I have 4 agents, and should only have to worry about 3 guards.  On the Corporation's turn, two more guards will wake up, but I don't think they can take any actions.

-On turn 2, the elevator arrives and I leave before the situation gets worse.

Possible flaws:

-Enforcers might be immune to Tasers

-If I set up the ambush positions wrong, then guards entering through one door will have sight on the ambushers at the second, and will stop before getting tased.  This has happened to me before.

-Everyone's scattered around, and Shalem's out of ammo; if I need to go guns blazing (these cleanup costs will bankrupt me), then Shalem needs to rendevous with the person with ammo.

-Guards I don't know about/forgot about might do something strange and kill everyone.

Unrelated thought:

-Is it just me, or is this game basically Gunpoint meets XCOM?  Is there some sort of Longshot-style program I can use to rewire the guards' guns so they close doors and turn off lights?

Just re-reviewed the save file:

-The elevator won't arrive until the start of turn 3?  Balls.

-There are 5 sleeping guards.  2 are about to wake up, 2 wake up on turn 2.

-After hacking some cameras, I have vision of about 2/3 of the map.  I haven't found any more guard elevators -- if there are any more, they're so far away they should be non-factors.

-Good news: Deckard's cloak is off cooldown!  And there are lot of LoS breakers near the elevator.  With a 14-tile run speed, he should be able to hide in secluded corner and make a break for it when the elevator comes back.

-Bad news: There are 11 hours left until the final mission.  I have 2.3k in the bank already, and I really don't feel like taking wild risks. 

Currently I have two plans:

-Send up everyone but Deckard.  Have D-Man hide 14 tiles away from the elevator until it comes back, than Cloak-Run my way to victory

-Send up all my agents, and maybe the prisoner can loop around the guards or something?

What I'd *really* like to do is go with plan 2, but keep the save file so I can do a "what-if?" run later.  Since that's not an option...

How badly do I want to know?

FINAL EDIT: Lost my nerve.  Left the prisoner out to dry.  Wish I could've tried to save him... just wasn't going to take on 6 guards with 4 agents.

As much as I hate to say this since it's a bit cold: you did the right choice to leave him behind.

After all, it's important to atleast escape with what you have. You'll have to accept that you can't satisfy everyone and do everything.

And atleast the prisoner is already used to being imprisoned!

I think a tip that the devs gave in one of their streams can be useful here.

The thing is that people usually think they are out of options before they actually are. So, for example, maybe someone gets an agent in critical condition and since there are still 2 or 3 guards in the room they think it's impossible to recover from that with their remaining active agent and give up. Many times it is not the case, since guards may do things you are not expecting them to do and you can do fine.

I think this case was another example of what I just said. You are more scared of the guards than you actually need to be. For example, you are thinking the worse  when you expect to get 2 new enforcers with Armor +2 and that they will run fast enough to get to you. IMHO, you would have probably been fine sending the prisoner out and waiting with your 4 agents. Also, unless the elevator room is a field of ! and ? all over the place, you have a good chance of having some of the guards that wake up going to investigate in another room.

Archived