Gold Tools Are too Good

Basically I believe that gold weapons are too much of a 'direct' upgrade minecraft style. They're renewable, last longer, and are generally better than standard ones even if they take more resources simply because they're like 4 tools in one and therefore more efficient storage wise. The renew-ability of Golden items versus the non-renewability of standard flint ones kind of creates a discrepancy. There really shouldn't be a 'flat upgrade' to anything.

Well I know the game pokes fun at itself for having gold be a better material than flint (read the in-game descriptions for the gold tools). And I for one agree with you and have promoted the idea that we don't have a narrow technology tree based on the materials dictating the item's quality.

So while in Minecraft stone is better than wood, and iron is better than stone, and so on... I suggested that perhaps we needed different properties for tools and weapons based on how they are crafted. Not necessarily based on the rarity of the resource. So rather than having 4 different spears to craft we should have 4 unique weapons, each serving a different purpose. Right now that seems to be the case with weapons, as we have the spear, blow dart, and bee mine... and all work differently from one another.

So, did you have any suggestions?

I think that a flint tool or simply flint itself should be used in the recipe for making it. That way you will always need a finite resource. Maybe its like this on purpose so you won't run out of tools someday. Hauling around flint and remaking tools every 5 minutes is not that interesting either and later in (60+ days) it becomes tedious. Gold tools are just a convenience and you really have nothing else to spend your gold on. Personally i think its fine as it is. My gold tools run out after like 15 days with regular use anyway.

Edited by Xuhybrid

"Hauling around flint and remaking tools every 5 minutes is not that interesting either and later in (60+ days) it becomes tedious."

Then just allow players to "spend" flint and twigs on their tools. Make it so you can make multiple axes, but instead of making multiple ones it just adds the points to the one you already have (that would get rid of the golden tools). Maybe you have to be holding the axe to increase it's points otherwise it will just make another one (so if you leave the axe at another camp or something). Idk, makes sense to me anyway.

Maybe cap tools at 500 points or something else if need be.

Edited by ocelot113

All you are talking about is a more complicated version of a new tier of tools between flint and gold. You'd be better off implementing a new tool that just uses more flint and lasts longer. This is why i recommended adding flint to the gold tool recipe. After all, gold is soft and malleable so to make a tool from just gold is unrealistic.