The courtesy of our forum replies is somewhat lessened of late.

Invisible Inc. has a huge learning curve for new players, a lot of those new or less skilled players come here to ask questions, make suggestions, and vent a bit.

I'm just hoping that the community continues to develop positively, and if we could, take a step back, remembering what our first hours of playtime were like, and refrain from being caustic or derogatory while giving our opinions and responding to suggestions we don't agree with, I think the community as a whole, and the forums in general would appreciate it.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or be anyone's knight in shining armor, I just feel that some of the more experienced players (myself included) have been a bit over-zealous regarding our attempts to help out or contribute ideas to a post.

I think you might mistake being caustic or derogatory with being brittle, abrasive or honest. I must say I find the latter refreshing when one doesn't resort to false courtesy and go straight to the point without speaking formal greetings or sugar-coating responses. I think there is a fine line between this and what you've mentioned.

I'd tell you all to bite me, but well, the joke could be taken seriously, so I won't.

Anyhow, J20hawkz pretty much told us how to handle if any of us observe unprofessional behavior.

But before we get to that point, there's always the possible option of sending the poster PM's where we can politely and constructively send our concerns to what we have witnessed. Just know you might not get the reply you're hoping for, and even they they don't respond nicely, you should continue to.

But most times, it's just we're interpreting how we think it is when it's not due to no body language cues to suggest what is meant online. One's no nonsense is another's rude. 

I think this is a pretty civilised community in comparison with the macho nonsense, childishness and gross social ineptitude you see elsewhere. The fact that it's a fairly brainy game helps. And for every one person being too hard on a novice who claims that the game is too unforgiving, there is a novice demanding obnoxiously that the devs put in saves. So it kind of balances out.

Between going early access and linking the forums directly from the game launch screen, I expect the audience has grown, with it the quantity, variety and breadth of good and bad posters alike.

Don't Starve Together will cause an explosion in audience growth. The steam forum will be a savage place for a few days. I remember the early days when RoG was out in beta. Trust me some people have had traumatic experiences with early access and Betas. For some reason they find that the Klei forums are the most suitable places to vent some anger.

*raises ban hammer of justice*

I'm ready though!

Don't Starve Together will cause an explosion in audience growth. The steam forum will be a savage place for a few days. I remember the early days when RoG was out in beta. Trust me some people have had traumatic experiences with early access and Betas. For some reason they find that the Klei forums are the most suitable places to vent some anger.

*raises ban hammer of justice*

I'm ready though!

Oh, right the (and forgive me I'm trying to copy them, not be too personally annoying here) 

OMGZ YOUR GAMEISBROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KEEP DIEING!!!!

[Favorite Character] IZ BROKZ IS OVER/UNDERPOWERED!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX IT OR REFUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that was what I read on some of those eloquent posts.

Now just stick their favorite character in that [Favorite Character] and you have their "feedback!"

But may those hammer strikes be few and far between! 

This is what I first thought after reading your post J20 :D

I think you're right about the steam forums, though they tend to lean toxic anyway.  The Klei forums are a very nice place, and as HolyDeath said, I'm probably just mistaking lack of subtlety for something else.  I also agree with Danikov's insightful post.

1dd7e3ff0725d655605c6f1b961f2554da4cb0e6

Archived