Influences and references?

This is something I'm always curious about with games - what sort of influences and/or references (to books, films, other games) have other players observed throughout their time with Invisible, Inc.?

I don't know if this is completely off the mark, but personally speaking, I'm getting an Inception-like tone from the game.

As an aside, Klei's games have some truly fantastic art direction/character design. Loving the game so far (haven't been playing much of anything else at the moment - I've been finding it very hard to put down). Thank you so much for (yet another) brilliant game, Klei!

I'm glad I found this thread, so I don't have to make one !

I had a question to the devs, or anyone else who could know about it : Is the name of the firewall, ICE, a reference to William Gibson's Neuromancer ?

Everytime I'm hacking something in this game, I can't help but think about this book. I bet it's not the only (possible) reference to this cornerstone of cyberpunk, but it's the most obvious one to me.

In case my post doesn't get notice by any dev, I will ask them directly next thursday during the weekly stream :grin:

edit : After some research (Just kidding, Wikipedia is not research), it appears that ICE became a common term used in cyberpunk thanks to Gibson. So I guess I have my answer. It's indeed a reference, but it's something so common that it cannot be described as intentional or unintentional. It just is.

I still have a lot to learn about the cyberpunk universe I suppose ^^

I'm glad I found this thread, so I don't have to make one !

I had a question to the devs, or anyone else who could know about it : Is the name of the firewall, ICE, a reference to William Gibson's Neuromancer ?

Everytime I'm hacking something in this game, I can't help but think about this book. I bet it's not the only (possible) reference to this cornerstone of cyberpunk, but it's the most obvious one to me.

In case my post doesn't get notice by any dev, I will ask them directly next thursday during the weekly stream :grin:

There are LOTS of references, so that might just be one.

I don't personally know that one though so I don't know :p

Deckard's been officially acknowledged as a "maybe" Blade Runner reference. (with "is that what we're meant to say?" unofficially flagging the answer as a "yes")

And Shalem 11 is a reference to Golgo 13.

I'm curious who the other two are. Banks looks a lot like Sigourney Weaver, but that can't be it. :/

Archived