Console Database?

Obviously I'm new to the game, still trying to survive more than 2 missions. In my first few playthroughs I have used Incognita to hack everything I find right when I find it. But then in some missions I run out of power for Incognita and end up having to make tough choices, or have to leave a safe locked. So my question is, what is the "Console Database" for, why do I want to spend my power hacking it, and once I've hacked it, how does it help me? Thanks.

It shows you all consoles on the map. If you interact with consoles you regain some power, more if you leveled hacking or have certain upgrades. Basically you sacrifice some power to learn where you can find more.

It can be useful if you need a big bunch of power quickly and don't want to explore the whole level, like if you have found the vault and elevator but don't have enough power to clear the security. Emp wouldn't help in that case since the lockers won't open. It still feels kinda weak, though that might be because I didn't really focus hacking. Maybe maxing it on one character might help.

Consoles are found throughout each mission, which you can tap into to gain power by having your agent move beside (or having Internationale get near). The Console database shows where they are all located. Honestly, I never end up hacking them, however the Camera databases I often hack (which as you would assume shows you the location of the cameras).

EDIT: Darn-it, fell just behind :p

For me the primary purpose of the database isn't acquiring power, but learning the map layout. Granted it's only useful if you find it early, but it can give you a lot of information about how the map is shaped.

I agree with this. I hack console databases early on to get some idea of map layout.

Although there is the one exception of times where I have Internationale on my team - her ability to locate consoles in a relatively wide radius is less effective, but it helps enough to reduce the value of console (and camera) databases. I'll still hack a camera database early on in the mission, but later I often won't bother when she's on the team.

For me the primary purpose of the database isn't acquiring power, but learning the map layout. Granted it's only useful if you find it early, but it can give you a lot of information about how the map is shaped.

I disagree. Console database is for acquiring power - especially if you have Internationale who can reach consoles through walls. Camera database is better in terms of learning the map layout as you can hack cameras and get some vision of the map.

Camera database is better in terms of learning the map layout as you can hack cameras and get some vision of the map.

Right, but that's if you can find a camera database. I rarely see them (RNG's and I don't tend to get along.) In the absence of a camera database, the console database does wonders.

Personally, i like camera databases better for the double layout bonus they all give (finding all the rooms having cameras, then finding what's in the rooms when you hack the cameras,)  but console databases also give a layout of the level (as any database hacked would) for the zone they are in. Note, ANY database only has a certain range, and if you've found a lot of that kind already and then find the database, it may not be cost effective by then.

But console databases are very useful when you take a layout that does not include the Power Drip option. (For instance, parasite and drill so you have options for both immediate and over time hacking, but lose all power regen options this way. At first, you can easily take over a LOT of found items over several turns, without running out of power fast. but with no regen options, you become even more dependent on consoles. This is where using the console database really shines.)    

Archived