Multiplayer Communication

So, I had some thoughts on communication...

So, when a player says something, there should be a chat bubble that appears... you have to be on the same screen to communicate via chat. If they are off-screen, but still within the two screen "activation zone" things tend to adhear to, you won't see the text, but you'll hear the speech sound effect.  (I.E, you heard them but they are too far away to understand).

Then campfires, or some specialty item could be created to smoke signals... it would be a  8 slot inventory interface (like 2x AM teleportatoe). The inventory slots could only be filled with burnable items. Pressing the activate button would send the message to all players in the world (As long as it wasn't dusk,night or raining)

So, assuming = was a graphic icon for smoke which is horizontally tile-able....

Filling every other slot in the machine before activating would send the signal

"= = = ="

Filling every slot would send 

"========"

So, the other players that see the smoke signal would say something like:

"Hm... == = == from the north/south/etc"

I like the adhear thing, but speech bubbles? You mean text appearing over the people as it is right now, and as everyone knows and expects it?

Smoke signals are an interesting thought. SethR mentioned carrier pigeons in a fireside chat, so I think they are a more hard to set up way of accomplishing that kind of communication. (maybe we can hang the notes on sign posts instead?)

Archived