Anybody else fought long and hard to keep their team alive?

I just had one. I started a Very Guarded Detention Center with 3 agents. I split my team in two going in different directions. Banks went right on her own and snuck through a few locked doors (I love her unlock ability) and found the elevator. Internationale and Deckard went right and found a bunch of safes, a store, and the holding cells. There were about 5 guards in the area near the holding cells (3 of which guarding the holding cells). I was able to get the attention of one of the guards by having Internationale open and close doors to lead him away. Deckard waited for the only patrol guard in the holding cells to move into a favorable position and opened the cell doors. I had Deckard takedown the stationary guard and had both Salem and Deckard sneak away. By this point, the first set of guards have spawned. I began moving Banks away from the elevator to provide backup but she got pinned. Internationale saw the dangers and hid behind a reactivated turret in hopes of taking out as many guards as possible. The turret took out two guards before getting shot and Internationale was neutralized. Deckard and Salem snuck away from the holding cells and began thinking of how they will ever escape with only one taser. They bided in a side room until an opening happened and used Internationale's Med Gel to revive her. Now with three agents and two tasers, they regrouped in the main lobby near Banks' body and waited 10 turns so they can revive her.

Screenshot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=302948261

A few guards began moving to search the main lobby and my three agents were ready with an ambush. The timing for everything was perfect and the guards in their path were neutralized just after the Banks was revived. The team began making a full sprint to the elevator one room at a time. Deckard with the most MP lead the charge waiting at each door with a taser before entering. Internationale and Banks watched the doors behind them with their tasers. Then came a wonderful new strategy. Only one watched the team's back and only one scouted ahead. As a taser is used, it is exchanged for the third taser with no cooldown. This allowed the team to always be ready to execute a takedown without worrying about if the third taser will be in position in time (as long as they don't get overwhelmed). My team eventually made it to the elevator without no further injuries.

Screenshot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=302948336

Only thing I regret is not remembering how many turns I spent on this level.

Anybody else had any moments where they refused to give up regardless how bad it got?

Oh wow, awesome that you got out of that one!

I had a game where everything I needed was finally taken care of (rescuing some important person) and I was about to leave, two of my agents got killed. I had spent so long trying to carefully rescue this person that it made me want to rip my hair out. I wandered around for 5 turns with a maxed out alarm as I waited for the medigel to work again. There were guards everywhere. I just barely made it, but right when I'm about to revive an agent, a guard comes in and spots the live agent. I'm able to revive one agent and get him away right before my other agent is shot. Queue ultimate sadness. The agent I revived had a gun and since the alarm was maxed out anyway, I decided to go bold, get amo from the store allllll the way on the other end, and shoot as many people as I can while I wait for the medigel to cool down again.

I had just reached the store, purchased the ammo, and was about to go on my hunting spree when my game crashed. :[ The save file is still there, so hopefully I can start back up once the bug is fixed, but I'm happy with where I left off at least! It's so frustrating because the elevator is literally two small rooms away from where all the dead agents are. So close!

On several missions now I've kept my team alive for literally dozens of turns after alarm level 6, slowly inching through a level, repeatedly knocking out guards, repeatedly using the med gel. It feels amazing to grind out an escape in these situations, but it also makes you conscious of how stupid the guards are, and by the second or third time you've resurrected the same person, the game's logic starts to seem silly.

I'd be tempted to hit resurrected agents with a significant AP penalty for the duration of the mission, or only allow them to be brought back from the dead once per mission. As it stands, a "dead" agent surrounded by multiple enforcers isn't a big deal, provided you have at least one med gel and a lot of patience.

I've had some close calls but nothing too terrible since I will usually quit if things seem a bit too hairy. And i never feel good about it but at the time I always think "Not gonna bother wasting time doing this, just gonna quit and start again". And maybe that's the wrong mentality but a lot of the times it can be difficult to tell when a mission still is doable or when it's completely over.

You can save agents in certain mission types where that is the main objective. You can have up to 4. If you have 4 then you have all the agents that are currently in the game.

Hmm, never popped up for me. Every detention center mission was for wealthy prisoners, all my other missions were either vaults, servers, or nanofab vestibules.

Hopefully maybe it'll pop up in endless.

Hmm, never popped up for me. Every detention center mission was for wealthy prisoners, all my other missions were either vaults, servers, or nanofab vestibules.

Hopefully maybe it'll pop up in endless.

Yeah I've only gotten 4 agents once. And after that I've only had one mission containing an agent. The rest have always been wealthy prisoners. It seems semi-rare that you run into another agent. 

Twice in adjacent missions, actually! Both times it ended in a blood bath. First time I got greedy and wanted to check the safe location out. I was able to buy some revival juice for the inevitable first death but by that time two agents had died. Plus the area around the second one kinda crawled with guards:

t77XTe0.jpg

My position was as close to perfection as can be hoped, though.  I had loads of ammunition and sleeping darts as well. So I could safely wait for the cooldown while shooting all guards coming too close.

It kinda ate into my profits, though.

aqle85Z.jpg

Next mission I wanted to spend my acquired fortunes. Therefore a nanofabricator vestibule was the only real choice. Which in retrospective was really goddamn lucky since I got my fingers on an energy pistol there. Shalem 11 got into an awkward spot AGAIN, which explains where the other 10 went:

GCSsY6V.jpg

Don't ask how this situation happened. Anyway, queue energy pistol, slightly later in the same round:

1N1jB4F.jpg

Look at the alarm timer. Luckily I already spent the rest of my money before leaving so clean up costs wasn't my problem. The elevator was directly under the guard spawner, by the way.

I just did this. It was exhausting.

It started as a straightforward map-finding mission. I'd started with Deckard and Internationale and rescued Shalem 11 on the previous mission, giving him a dart gun since he didn't have any other equipment. For this mission the elevator was right off the starting room, which meant I could spend all my time hunting for the prize without worrying about finding my escape route if it hit the fan.

Shalem found a Nano-fabber and traded his old zapper for a level 3 (3-turn-KO through armor). Deckard took care of the guards while Internationale grabbed the map. Then things went sour.

The extra guard called in at Alarm Level 3 was in my way and got KO'd. An Elite Enforcer showed up and got Ko'd as well. Meanwhile, the two guards in the map room woke up and headed my way. In a few turns all three agents were pinned down in a room with a deactivated turret (I'd hacked the generator, but the turret had a Daemon). All zappers were on cooldown and Shalem only had his rifle. With no choice, I killed the next guard who walked through the door, pushing the Alarm to Level 5.

The Enforcer from AL4 saw the guard fall and was coming in, another guard was approaching the other door, and one of the 3 KO'd guards in the room I was in was about to wake up. I took a chance and hacked the turret, praying the Daemon wouldn't be too bad. It called in an extra Enforcer.

I made a break for it. The turret got one Enforcer, Shalem got another with his last bullet, but the guards got Deckard. Shalem and Internationale ducked around the map, avoiding the pursuing guards. By now I'd reached Alarm Level 6 and eight guards were prowling the map, so I activated the other two turrets on the map in hopes of taking out any guards who wandered into their sights. Internationale led one guard to his death, and a second met his maker by the same turret before an enforcer took it out. Finally I saw an opening, revived Deckard, and made for the exit.

The map layout meant there was one room I had to go through to get to the elevator. It was a big room with some equipment sunk into the floor in the middle. It didn't provide cover, but my agents had to go around it to reach the other side, and none of them could make it in one turn. I sent Internationale and Shalem around and left Deckard to cover the door - he'd be able to make it to the far side by only one tile if everything worked. I put him on Melee, then realized that when the coming guard approached the door, he'd see Internationale before coming through. There was no cover in the room at all, and she was 2 tiles from the door - Shalem was 4 away. Without thinking, I had Deckard shut the door and hit Next Turn.

If I'd left it open, the guard would have stopped one tile away from entering the room and targeted Internationale; then I could have closed it and made my getaway. But hindsight is 20/20 and I didn't realize that at the time. Worse, closing the door canceled Dechard's Melee. Now the guard came through the door and saw Deckard, who just stood there instead of zapping him. Another guard was right behind the first, and he had International and Shalem in his sights.

Deckard slammed the door behind the guard who'd just entered and got shot; that guard saw the other agents and trained his gun on them. Shalem went left, International went right. The guard shot Shalem and International made it out. Now I had one agent on her feet, everything I'd gotten from the level on the two agents lying in a room swarming with guards. For eight turns she crept around while I waited for the remaining five guards to give Internationale an opening to rescue her team.

Finally, I saw an opening. Internationale revived Shalem with her Med-Gel, and Shalem revided Deckard with his. The third turret on the map took out one enforcer but was destroyed immediately afterwards. I had three rooms to go through, one with an armored guard inside, and an Enforcer coming in behind me. Deckard zapped the enforcer, the team dashed past the armored guard - Noticed, but not Watched - and reached the Elevator with the guard literally one tile away from seeing them.

Truly the stuff of tense, action-packed spy movies.

I've had about 5 or so very close shaves where a team member gets downed and the situation is snowballing (with about 5 or 6 guards alerted and enroute). Mostly at that point, I immediately rush the mission and head for the elevator at that point.

The most spectacular completion was unforgettable. (Deckard, Banks and Internationale - my favourite setup) I was trapped in a room, 2 doors away from the elevator (vault raid complete), but due to a flipcoin pistol shot (he was standing over a KO-ed guard), I targeted the wrong person and things went downhill from there.

He shot Banks first, but fortunately Deckard was out of sight, so he could cloak and taser him in the same round. I had Internationale medgel her in the same turn as well. (All my agents carry medgel). I move Banks and Deckard behind tables and cover, Internationale is out of AP.

Next round commences, a +1 armour elite guard comes in and the only person with the armor pierce taser was Deckard. Nasty Situation, but lucky thing he was targeting Internationale, he of course shoots her at end of turn, my other 2 remain hidden. If he walks to where she fell, the other 2 would likely be exposed. So I intentionally sacrificed Banks by edging her out a little that he would see her first and have his back facing Deckard (and in time for cooldown on taser).

The guard shoots banks, Deckard tasers him and then medgels Banks who in turn medgels Internationale. We leave the room just in time for the first guard to wake, and the Alert level 5 guards to start busting in.

My heart was racing through this, really memorable.

Archived