Handling Death in DST

I'll suggest a way you could give players a second chance when they permanently die, while still keeping incentive to keep your character alive.

In all server types:

- By default, there can only be one of any given character at a time.

- If you leave the world, you can enter again with any character not already taken, while inheriting your position, inventory, and stats

- Character specific items (E.g Battle Spear) are lost until you log in with the character again, and you are given the new character's item

- Some method of discouraging tactical character swap (Switching to Wigfrid to confront a boss, etc) would be implemented

In small server types, where you want more of a classic Don't Starve experience with friends:

- The world can only have any given character once, and if they die, no one can select said character

- You may still respawn as a different character, without inheriting anything from the old

- If all characters die, the world is deleted.

In large server types that focus on public access and freedom:

- Each player may spawn and die as all characters once, before being forbidden access to the server.

. This gives griefers less opportunity for extreme griefing that would likely kill them(Leading bosses to a base, etc)

- The world is never deleted, and the host can die and re-enter the world without limit

- The host can grant this to others as well?

In Last Man Standing server types:

- You may spawn in once, as one character

- All players must agree to pause the game and leave at once to suspend the world

- Tou must re-enter as the character you initially chose

- If you leave without the others, your character is either:

. Left idle until you return

. Instantly killed

- The world may either end shortly after there is only one remaining, or become a normal world type if you wish

And of course, there would be options to implement features from one server type to another, like have a small server type where you can only spawn once, or each player can be a character once.

It would likely be a good idea to add an option to remove character limitation so you could have more than 11 players per world, although I'd rather not play in a world with a bunch of clones running around.

I like what you're trying to do, by making it so each character is exclusive and there aren't many of those annoying "double wilsons" and such.
But the way you're suggesting creates way too many exploits that are just not worth it, like, "Now I need more strength, so I'll leave and rejoin as Wolfgang. Oh, now I'm at low sanity, so I'll just leave and join again as either Willow or Wendy. Oh, but first, let me prototype everything with Wickerbottom, then grow my beard with wilson for my efigy/winter"

Although clone characters can be a problem, being every character can be much more of a problem, regardless of keeping the signature items(and there's also those "share-able" items like the Battle kit from Wigfrid, that can just be handed to a bunch of Wolfgangs).

I suggest we simply have players have to chose their characters for the entire play-through(until they die, in which case...THEY'RE DEAD. GONE. FOR EVER.), and maybe, only maybe, have, as a option, to remove the comma button on my keyboard, to make it so only one of each character can be chosen in a server

*IF* a person is oh so lucky enough to either Teleportato safely out of there or be the final being alive, when they have the option to select a new character, they simply should be at full stats as if they entered on Day 1. The act of escaping from campers at the exit Wooden Thing area or honorably being the last best fighter should be rewarded, not arbitrarily making rules trying to falsely balance other characters this way.  

But the way you're suggesting creates way too many exploits that are just not worth it, like, "Now I need more strength, so I'll leave and rejoin as Wolfgang. Oh, now I'm at low sanity, so I'll just leave and join again as either Willow or Wendy. Oh, but first, let me prototype everything with Wickerbottom, then grow my beard with wilson for my efigy/winter"

Although clone characters can be a problem, being every character can be much more of a problem, regardless of keeping the signature items(and there's also those "share-able" items like the Battle kit from Wigfrid, that can just be handed to a bunch of Wolfgangs).

- Some method of discouraging tactical character swap (Switching to Wigfrid to confront a boss, etc) would be implemented

I should've elaborated on the biggest flaw with this system, but I couldn't think of a way to implement it in a well balanced way without overcomplicating the process. Ideally, there would be a balanced way to switch characters, although I meant for the ability to swap characters without dying to apply mainly to public servers. Maybe I'll mulligan my post and change where the point is. Either way, the method the developers are currently considering is an infinite respawn method (Given that if death is permanent, "A multiplayer world quickly becomes a single player world"), and I think that takes a bit of the fun out. There should be the looming threat of death, regardless of whether or not the game is multiplayer.

I believe that Wigfrid should be able to give her Spear/Helm to others, but they should disappear if the player that made them changes character. Either way, there are better weapons for fighting tough opponents, her combat items are mainly useful because they are easily acquired and renewable.

*IF* a person is oh so lucky enough to either Teleportato safely out of there or be the final being alive, when they have the option to select a new character, they simply should be at full stats as if they entered on Day 1. The act of escaping from campers at the exit Wooden Thing area or honorably being the last best fighter should be rewarded, not arbitrarily making rules trying to falsely balance other characters this way. 

I'm sorry, could you clarify? I'm not sure what you're trying to argue/suggest.

I should've elaborated on the biggest flaw with this system, but I couldn't think of a way to implement it in a well balanced way without overcomplicating the process. Ideally, there would be a balanced way to switch characters, although I meant for the ability to swap characters without dying to apply mainly to public servers. Maybe I'll mulligan my post and change where the point is. Either way, the method the developers are currently considering is an infinite respawn method (Given that if death is permanent, "A multiplayer world quickly becomes a single player world"), and I think that takes a bit of the fun out. There should be the looming threat of death, regardless of whether or not the game is multiplayer.

I believe that Wigfrid should be able to give her Spear/Helm to others, but they should disappear if the player that made them changes character. Either way, there are better weapons for fighting tough opponents, her combat items are mainly useful because they are easily acquired and renewable.

I'm sorry, could you clarify? I'm not sure what you're trying to argue/suggest.

Apologies, just adding for those who live when they get to continue as their character or a new character in the next world/game, they should be restored to full stats if they "continue" like you do in the Single player game leaving the last DS world or to a new AM world (except in SP games you continue with your current stats of course.). Your ideas about those who are restored inspired me for those who did not die but hit their own milestones. 

Archived