Darker Magic

Although this is an interesting idea, I think that it will only catch on if you can delve a little more into specifics - this is too brad a sweep to catch on. you need to catch the imagination a bit with examples, so people have a starting point. eg:

Teir: Cauldron

feebleness: infect any target with -50% health, -60% movement speed

cost: 2 monster meat, 1 nightmare fuel

Teir: Arcane Polynomicon (aka The Black Book)

Summon -summon familiars (pets/followers) to assist you

-Werewabbit - will fight anything in the area until death, in this order: enemy/follower/player

Cost: 1 nightmare fuel, 4 bunnypuff, 2 houndstooth

-Flying Firey Death Beast: Will fly in, breathing hugely destructive AoE blue flaming fire at the Summoned Area. 3 Second delay from Summoning to the beast's Appearance. Anything in the AoE will catch alight and take damage of 300+50 per second for 10 seconds. (This makes a total of 800 damage or more over a large area... Or something make the values bigger IDK - I don't even know how much health a hound or a deerclops has!) Being near other burning objects refreshes this DoT effect.

Cost: 1 deerclops eye, 10 Bat wings, 2 nightmare fuel, 10 gunpowder

Wow I wish I could mod.

Cost: another 2 months of my life.

I'm so going to build this mod. One of these years.

Although this is an interesting idea, I think that it will only catch on if you can delve a little more into specifics - this is too brad a sweep to catch on. you need to catch the imagination a bit with examples, so people have a starting point. eg:

Teir: Cauldron

feebleness: infect any target with -50% health, -60% movement speed

cost: 2 monster meat, 1 nightmare fuel

Teir: Arcane Polynomicon (aka The Black Book)

Summon -summon familiars (pets/followers) to assist you

-Werewabbit - will fight anything in the area until death, in this order: enemy/follower/player

Cost: 1 nightmare fuel, 4 bunnypuff, 2 houndstooth

-Flying Firey Death Beast: Will fly in, breathing hugely destructive AoE blue flaming fire at the Summoned Area. 3 Second delay from Summoning to the beast's Appearance. Anything in the AoE will catch alight and take damage of 300+50 per second for 10 seconds. (This makes a total of 800 damage or more over a large area... Or something make the values bigger IDK - I don't even know how much health a hound or a deerclops has!) Being near other burning objects refreshes this DoT effect.

Cost: 1 deerclops eye, 10 Bat wings, 2 nightmare fuel, 10 gunpowder

Wow I wish I could mod.

Cost: another 2 months of my life.

I'm so going to build this mod. One of these years.

I actually really like the sound of those ideas :D

Check out our mod project, over 50+ new spells added in, along with new characters, monsters, dungeons etc

Cool, thanks. I'm glad you like it, you're welcome to use them... along with a mention/credit would be nice - I didn't realise Heroes was yours, I was thinking of having a look at it.

My main thought with DarkerMagic, is it should always be a 2 sided coin, mostly to keep it balanced, eg lifegiving/hungerstealing amulet - or nightmare sword. Stuff that grants you a bonus but grants a debuff as well. - You don't expect freebies when you're doing Deals with the Devil - which is what all magic is. Much like balance is created in MOBA games, squishy high damage Vs tanky high cc but low damage, etc etc.

Cool, thanks. I'm glad you like it, you're welcome to use them... along with a mention/credit would be nice - I didn't realise Heroes was yours, I was thinking of having a look at it.

My main thought with DarkerMagic, is it should always be a 2 sided coin, mostly to keep it balanced, eg lifegiving/hungerstealing amulet - or nightmare sword. Stuff that grants you a bonus but grants a debuff as well. - You don't expect freebies when you're doing Deals with the Devil - which is what all magic is. Much like balance is created in MOBA games, squishy high damage Vs tanky high cc but low damage, etc etc.

I did not say we would be borrowing any ideas :p

We have had a spell system in place for a while now, several of the spells are similar to what you proposed. 

I did not say we would be borrowing any ideas :razz:

We have had a spell system in place for a while now, several of the spells are similar to what you proposed. 

..and I didn't say that you had to, just that you could.

Yeah, I would imagine that you would have them already if you are the DOTC fans I think you may just be. Probably the first things you thought of, too (after Drizzt Armour, I guess).

anyway, If I ever tire of Vanilla, I'll come and have a look at HITD. I don't normally like RPG/Magic heavy stuff though. That's just my personal taste and bias.

I'll let you get back to your modding!

I do like the idea of there being more magic, especially those delving into darker aspects involving morbid matters. However, I find witchcraft, witches and potions to be too known and excessively used to be implemented in Don't Starve effectively; Don't Starve is all about the lesser known and the inane, and witches seems unfitting.

I will say that, in the few times when I thought about an expansion on the Magic tab, I thought that the additions should be more focused on items and tools that disperse damage over an area of effect, such as something that causes damage in a rough circle around a player, and/or hone and refine the damage an enemy/friend deals or recieves, like a sort of debuff.

If this idea was added with the creation of DST, then the items inside of the addition could be different; perhaps they could be items or tools that target a specific person or group of people that you're playing with.

Archived