Questions on Summertime farming, Iceflingomatics

So I have some questions about summer farming that I can't seem to find answers for.

On farms there are two types of fertilization, you can fertilize the farm if there is no plant in it  -or- if there is a plant in the farm you can fertilize the plant. in other seasons you have to fertilize the plot after harvesting N plants from it. Going into summer you can either have a plant in the farm or you can have an empty farm. If you go into summer with a plant in a farm the plant will wilt. Does fertilizing this plant prevent it from wilting? Does it delay the plant from wilting? If the plot is empty and you fertilize it, will plants grow like normal or will they grow then start wilting?

I've heard the ice flingomatic can work as a sprinkler system.... do I need to leave the ice flingomatic on 24/7 for this to be effective or only when I am on screen? (Speaking of on screen, if I zoom in via the mouse wheel, does this also decrease the radius an item can smolter-> catch fire? or radius where frogs drop?) 

You should only have to fertilize a plot after so many uses... 10 for basic, 30 for improved. You can add fertilizer to a planted crop to speed it up, but, not necessary. I never tried to add poop to a wilted crop, so I'm not sure. I usually just harvest it and get the grass. Try it and see what happens then come back and tell me!  

Not sure about the zooming question. But if you have farms in use during the summer, it's best to have a flingomatic nearby. After you plant a new seed the flinger will fling and keep it protected. Don't be too close or that won't help. If you plan on turtling up at your base, leave it on all the time. If you plan to leave for a few days, turn it off. Personally, I have 5 flingers and leave them on constantly, I also have 5 chests full of logs so it's not that big a deal to refuel them. I just need to make sure that if I'm away from my base I return to refuel them every 3 days.

Just turn the flingomatic before gathering and it'll keep your plots use-able without fertilization. If one has overwatch of say, 20 grass tufts, 20 sticks and 2-4 farms, I think the cost benefit favors the flingomatic who could only possibly use up one bar of fuel in that time.

Strangely, it only seems to prevent withering from over-harvesting during the summer, though.

As noted, the Ice Flingomatic takes care of your wilting/burning issues, use instead of fertilizer.

Keep it on whether you are there or away, but turn it off at night. Its area is a set range and does not matter how close or far your zooming is. However, due to it being a fuel-using item, don't forget to refuel it with your fuel(s) of choice around every 5 days. While no fires will burn if you are not there, they can start if you get next to the areas than can smoulder and burn. therefore, if you'e going to be back in 5 days, it's a good idea to leave it on assuming you don't have a fuel crisis (and you gotta love manure and  Nightmare Fuel for ruins explorers for this!)

Poop can also be used to speed up crops in that very first season (maybe not needed for spring considering the rain) when you are quickly stockpiling food for the winter months...assuming you're not doing some wolfgang crock-pot meat harvesting instead, but with the sweeteners and heat/cool foods, some produce is always suggested anyway to store.

I also have not used fertilizer to regrow compared to the fling, but it works the same way when you have to "regrow" transplanted items in regards to restoration, but no matter what the crop is, not just grass and bushes.

Fertilizer does not delay/stop wilting on a planted or empty plot. it just restores or speeds up growth. 

Spencer is dead on with "reviving" the ground with fertilizers. 

Archived