Tutorial: Adding a Custom Idle Animation

@RedRock911,

(Ever tried to select and move several timeline(non-keyframe) frames at once?  Good luck with that!)

HA! Good Luck indeed! Well, animation wise, you know my challenges. I had gone to their website to see if anyone knew how to do what I needed to do. What's funny is, at some point (and this is why we should all write our steps down) I accomplished it. 

And now, I have no idea how I selected say......A headpiece of a prefabricated creature, move said headpiece to another position, and lock it, so that all the animations play at that position. I did it with the ears in that file I sent you. Tried to do it with the head, and erased whatever animation was tied to it. 

Speaking of, I have a better animation build if you want to take a look at it. Only slightly out of wack (I'm soooooo close!) 

I had to make some artistic decisions, but its getting a bit better. 

@RedRock911,

If you want to "lock" a sprite to a fixed position, you can do "copy to all frames"... but that discards any animation of that sprite (since its properties are now the same across all frames).

I'm almost done with my scml tool though.  I started out with making it very inflexible but very simple, and somehow it mutated into very flexible, but a bit more complicated.  It's not too bad though-- it uses Lua so everyone should understand the syntax :p

But yeah, feel free to toss me a link to the new version!

Ok, I revisited this Post to ask, 

So what I want to do with my character, is have him running, but with a different face. It's the only thing I want to change. Would I need to rename the entire player_basic.zip file for that? or how would I go about adding the new face to the run state? If someone would like to help please post here, or send me a pm. 

The example shows you how to hook up a new idle animation. If you wanted to hook up a new walking animation you would need to change the script so that it hooks into the "walk" states.

Hi. Quick question relating to this tutorial. How do you make this idle animation character specific. I've been browsing through the files trying to figure out how I could possibly make the animation not apply to everyone and just my mod character. I would really appreciate if you could help me with this issue. Thanks.

Archived