No increased difficulty

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see increasing difficulty ?

• No.
    • Yes, but only for giants and such.
    • Yes, but as an option in the World customization screen.
    • Yes.

I agree that multiplayer shouldn't be made harder just because, and in a separate way from singleplayer. I believe that both should be made harder in a way that multiplayer doesn't feel too easy and singleplayer doesn't feel too hard(some examples could be: making starving a  thing again, giving boss mobs more attacks that could make a 1vs1 fight just as hard as a 2v1 by them having long range attacks and multi-focus or something like that, and more hatred from the world in general)

buffing health and damage(aside for the mobs that really should get a buff, if they're unbalanced) would just add up to artificial difficulty, while not making the game any better. If a mob gets more damage and health, only means you're going to have to kite him more, and use more football helmets. But if you have to fight dangerous things(with dangerous long range and hard to kite attacks) just to be able to survive(STARVING), then the game will feel harder, both in singleplayer(because we need that) and multiplayer(specially because, if starving becomes a real fear, then it will be pure chaos to feed a 2-4 group, no matter how well skilled you are)

gods, how I hate when I start a small response, and it turns into a giant rant.....

Good points and you're actually aware of the difference between true increased difficulty and artificial difficulty, very nice :)

Good points and you're actually aware of the difference between true increased difficulty and artificial difficulty, very nice :-)

that's what I get for reading too much from FlowerChild...

(actually, if you check his mod, you'll see how MP is made harder than SP, without adding any exclusives or artificial difficulty, just more trouble to survive due to starvation or the possibility of getting lost)

I voted NO, only because I didn't like the options on the poll. I do not like the idea of Monsters and giants having increased health and strength. I do however like the idea of spider nests having more spiders, and hound attacks could consist of more hounds plus fire/ice hounds. This way you can still kill the spiders and hounds solo, but with less worry of being overpowered by numbers with a friend.

I suppose that you could just use the World Customizer to make the game more difficult for you and your friends. I imagine a group of random players wouldn't have the best of times in a generated world with increased difficulty (i.e they lack the team work of friends, who may even use Ventrillo/Team-speak/Skype).

Due to this, I'm actually going to change my vote to Yes, but with the World Costumizer only.

But what if I want to live by myself? 

Then it will be just the same as singleplayer. I think it should be like an invisible circle around each player that, when 2 or more collide, makes all monsters in a radius around the center between every player whose circle collides with one-another stronger.

Or just make it scale with current player count.

I went into some detail on a theory I have about DST difficulty:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37682-suggestion-theory-on-togethers-difficulty-balance/

To summarize:

Monster health, damage, etc scaling is definably a bad idea and/or won't end up working.  More monsters will just add network reliance problems and if not, will or could potentially still break the game for a solo fight.  Dynamically changing the above things based on nearby players is also a bad idea as logically makes little sense and could bring benefit to being alone.

Being in a group for a fight should be a benefit and a new system or layer of difficulty will need to be installed to balance it.  I also think no one system will be strong enough to handle it, well without changing major expected game-play mechanisms. 

Again I still think the balance should be time focused, slowing down resource gain or increasing cost of placed objects is a direct approach to balancing DST economy.  The combat should be balanced with creature abilities or mechanics.

Archived