Larger penalty when getting low hunger?

Hello everyone,

The reason why I post this is because I see many let's player's who get their hunger to almost nothing and then eat. Now in real life(I think that is what the devs are striving for. A comparison to the real life in terms of hunger and starvation) with that much hunger you would be very weak and would barely be able to mine or chop down trees. Let alone hunt.

Also when you overfeed yourself(I think it's called a bloated stomach) you'd get pretty sick too.

So people have to keep in mind that eating berries only will help you in the early parts of the game but in the long run the berries would give either less nutrition.

So I was thinking that when you're at 50% hunger you'd see nothing. You'd be hungry as usual but no downsides or penalty. But when you reach 25% you wouldn't be able to chop down trees as fast or mine that easy. Also running up to or away from spiders would be dangerous since you're underfed and starving?

I'd like to get feedback from you guys to know if you either agree with this or think this is a bad idea.

Edited by Ghordrin

Firstly, Welcome to our forums! I hope you enjoy your time with us!

The topic of hunger has been brought up a lot. Especially the idea that you shouldn't be able to eat just berries to survive forever.

However, you have brought up a neat new topic of discussion for effects of hunger. When I first started playing I actually thought there would be repurcussions for low hunger, but was surprised when it had none. I'm not sure I would penalize for overeating (unless you could get your hunger above 100, assuming 100 is perfectly satiated). I agree that you should suffer a few consequences for low hunger. Actually, with the new Sanity meter coming, I wouldn't mind seeing low hunger negetively effect Sanity. We've all had times when we were super hungry and on the verge of halucinating, so imagine also being in a wild area where shadows and giant spiders are threatening your existance!

• Like 1

You bring up a good point Dom-Sithe about the sanity meter. I was going to suggest it might be too early to say if having negative effects for hunger would be too harsh as we have yet to see how nasty the sanity meter will be, both in terms of difficulty maintaining sanity and negative effects of low sanity.

However, I think you hit on a great idea to tie the two together, so that getting hungry has a negative impact on sanity. That could be really interesting if sanity is difficult to keep up as you could potentially find yourself constantly eating out of fear of total insanity should the hunger meter go down too low ! :evil:

• Like 1

However, I think you hit on a great idea to tie the two together, so that getting hungry has a negative impact on sanity. That could be really interesting if sanity is difficult to keep up as you could potentially find yourself constantly eating out of fear of total insanity should the hunger meter go down too low ! :evil:

And YOU just made me think of a GREAT, absolute EXCELLENT way to help balance a couple things! Go with me on a little story.

There you are, getting hungry, the world has already started its dark rampage on your psyche. Shadows have started to reach for you from behind grass, the berry bush almost appears to be staring back at you but you know that's not true. Suddenly, you feel a rumble in your tummy, but its only just morning! Surely it would be prudent to wait before starting a fire, but all you have on you are the Cooneys you caught a few seconds ago. After a short debate, you decide these basic morsels will be fine for now, no need to cook them. As the blood drips down your chin, you hear a howling in the distance... You don't know why, but you know the howling is for you, for your meat, for your life sustenance! You belt out a monstrous roar in return! Let these beasts come! This is your land, even if the rabbits have started smiling at you even in death!

Ok, so maybe not the greatest of stories, but you should get the idea. Eating uncooked food should negetively effect your sanity levels.

Yep. Seemed like a short sentance or post, so i decided to add the story hehe.

• Like 1

Guest Dandytard

Maybe the penalty would be that Maxwell comes from the dark, pulls out a whip, And starts spanking your behind. I think that's a good punishment.

Hi all,

Interresting concept concerning the food. Although these problems will most probably arise early ingame, before you have farms and collected all the berrie bushes around the "globe".

But i can imagine there are situations that could arise in a later stage where going hungry (for to long) might be penalized making the game tougher for yourself, without (to many) negative effects in the early stages.

Cheers

Wauw, first of all thanks for the awesome replies and feedback. I didn't even know about the sanity meter! That being said I'd like to see the game have increased difficulty because at the moment I'm at day 24~ and I've discovered almost everything without too much work.

Nothing is a threat if you wear a football helmet; a logsuit and a spear and the resources aren't even that hard to find. Anyways I know this game is still in beta but I'd like to see increased difficulty the later you are in the game.

And yeah perhaps no penalty for being 'too fed' but underfed I think would be a great thing!

• Like 1

I think if you already have low sanity when you get below 20% hunger you are able to eat things you shouldn't be able to. Like pine cones, wood, and manure. Wilson will even start saying, "Those rocks look tasty." Of course this hurts your health like monster meat does, and barely gives hunger back.

Would be interesting if your sanity AND hunger are low you can't tell what objects are what, so the images for them keep changing causing you to accidently eat wood or pinecones :)

And what's wrong with eating pinecones? I eat them all the time and I'm completelly fiwnekankeg,aw,f.

fiwnekankeg? Oh, you mean a, "Fine, K Ankheg?" As in you're texting an Ankheg (D&D monster) that you're fine and OK. Pinecones must be what Valley Girls eat to maintain their figures.

Kalishikov has a good idea with change the icons so you might eat wood. Maybe it changes so Everything becomes a food icon, like spiders become meat and grass becomes berries.