help with deerclops

As with most of the giants, kiting is usually the best option.  Get some armor on in case things go bad, but here's the basic attack pattern.

Hit twice, run away while Deerclops attacks.  Run back in.  Rinse and repeat.  Your shadow minions are probably pretty helpful in such a fight (I don't know; I don't play as Maxwell much.)  It might take a while, but with a bit of skill and luck, you should manage.

As with most of the giants, kiting is usually the best option.  Get some armor on in case things go bad, but here's the basic attack pattern.

Hit twice, run away while Deerclops attacks.  Run back in.  Rinse and repeat.  Your shadow minions are probably pretty helpful in such a fight (I don't know; I don't play as Maxwell much.)  It might take a while, but with a bit of skill and luck, you should manage.

Thank you lord battal. also, what exactly does your name mean?

In my experience they don't kite very well if at all.

I mean for tanking.

They're frail like him, lol. The only time I've seen them particularly effective in a boss situation was oddly enough, the Lost Fragment mod. (So many shadow clones I couldn't even tell which belonged to who...)

Treeguards are very effective against the Giants. They leave the giant with low hp if they don't kill it. And because the area of attack of giants are pretty big, you can easily aggro almost anything against them.

Treeguards are very effective against the Giants. They leave the giant with low hp if they don't kill it. And because the area of attack of giants are pretty big, you can easily aggro almost anything against them.

I agree. I hate kiting anyway.

Early game: I never take out Treeguards . I like to have at least two or three within a screen or two of my base.

Mid game: traps and blow darts. Once you have enough silk or blue gems to get bluebirds, you can start to make blow darts. Combine that with traps (bee mines or tooth traps) and you can do pretty well.

I used to also use Gunpowder. Freeze, place, ignite, then finish off with darts. It worked great, but lately though, I've had trouble with loot burning up - you have to be very careful to assess whether the giant has taken damage or is at full health when you freeze them then tune how much gp you place next to them when frozen. 

Another tip - put all the supplies you need for a giant in a chest somewhat AWAY from your main base or other chests. This way, you can run to the chest and gear up and not be in the middle of the battle zone.  Particularly Deerclops, who will smash chests quickly. I died once trying to find my stack of blowdarts in the piles of junk on the ground due to all the broken chests.

I do not recommend beefalo as the giant AoE can wipe out a whole herd.

Archived