Organized quotes for modders

This'll make it slightly easier to write and update lines! However it'll still be tedious...

I will try VERY hard to keep this updated! ;)

speech.zip

To add this to your character and make him say things you want you have to do this:

change the name from speech_orginized.lua to speech_wod.lua

and write in your character's prefab STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WOD = require "speech_wod"

(replace wod with your character's prefab name and WOD with your character's prefab name in caps)

Change Notes:

Version 1.0:

first release

includes lines for Reign of Giants and Up and Away

Version 1.1:

Moved eyebrella hat to Reign of giants section

Reorginized fire, firepit, coldfire, and coldfirepit to go

generic>out>embers>low>normal>high

moved "nomagic" to the top of the nightmare timepiece list

moved announcements "low research, research, and high research" to a new Unused Events section along with "unimplemented" announcement

Don't worry about the possibility of bugs these lines will work for a character that is playing in a vanilla mode world and up and away disabled!

if you use these and want your lines updated then check back every so often

To update:

If you haven't made changes to your speech for your custom character yet then you can just download the most recent!

to update a speech with changes made it'll be a bit tricky-er

first check the version at the top of the speech file you downloaded from this page

(if you dont have a version up top then you are using version 1.0)

change what I said I changed (in the change notes) in every future version you don't have

you can even download the speech.zip (which is always up to date here) to compare yours to what is different in the updated one!

So, where would you put this file, and how would you get your character to say anything you wrote?

You place this into your scripts folder and in your character's prefab you write

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.YOUR_CHARACTER'S_PREFAB_NAME_IN_CAPS = require "speech_your_character's_prefab_name"

for example:

one of my character's names is Smiley his prefab name is smiley so I'd write

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.SMILEY = require "speech_smiley"

This bit of the tutorial (line 127) just isn't clicking in my head...  Are there any typos here?

--[[you can add custom descriptions
    --for example
      --write the item's prefab name in caps and what you want your character to say when examining it
   --and remember when writing examinations that you want to know how to use \n and \" from time to time
     --if you write "Hey,\nI \"REEAALLY like you\"",
   --it will look like this in game...
Hey,
 I "REEAALLY like you"

This bit of the tutorial (line 127) just isn't clicking in my head...  Are there any typos here?

--[[you can add custom descriptions
    --for example
      --write the item's prefab name in caps and what you want your character to say when examining it
   --and remember when writing examinations that you want to know how to use \n and \" from time to time
     --if you write "Hey,\nI \"REEAALLY like you\"",
   --it will look like this in game...
Hey,
 I "REEAALLY like you"

I dont see any typos?

Archived