What do you guys think of a Cave Camp? Reduced danger of freezing/overheating, but higher loss of sanity... You know. What do you think? Would it be possible, is it even easier than living on the surface or harder? What preparations would you guys make? Which character would be the best for it?

It's possible. I have a cave camp in my Webber game. The main difficulty is surviving the depth worms. At some point, however, there are so many rocklobsters that it's not a problem anymore. I prebuilt all the stuff I needed when I was in my main camp on the surface, brought some equipment to survive winter/summer/spring. You can also build farms, plant twigs/grass/berry bushes where there are some light coming in from the surface. As Webber, you can eat monster meat directly which is easily obtained in the caves from spiders / worms. For other characters, you can use your crops or berries to make meat balls and other stuff Then for sanity, there are green mushrooms and tamoshanter.

You will need to go back to the surface from times to times, however, to get some important materials: hound teeth (for sewing kits), birds (if you want to refresh your eggs/transform your spoiling monster meat, but that is rather optional), ice (if you wear an icecube instead of the new winter vest + cold thermal stone), etc. I highly recommend the insulated pack: it makes traveling on long distances in caves easier as you can carry food and lightbulb that will last longer before spoiling. However, the moggles are much better suited for cave/ruins exploration, but you will require a lot of sewing kits.

A note on seasons: with the new insulation to both cold and heat, living in the caves during winter and summer is much easier than when RoG was released.

That sounds so awesome. I was thinking about making a cave camp in my upcoming new game, however, I don't have Webber unlocked. I guess it makes it a bit more difficult, and I would like to hear your stories about trying to conquest caves.

Also I have a belief that living down there is pretty much easier than living on the surface, as you don't have to deal with overheating and freezing (which I read to be a huge problem in the summer).

I didn't play this game for more than half of a year but the DLC just made me realize how great it is, so I'm trying to figure out some kind of overall strategy before jumping right into the wilderness. I guess I'll have to deal with a lot of surprises.

That sounds so awesome. I was thinking about making a cave camp in my upcoming new game, however, I don't have Webber unlocked. I guess it makes it a bit more difficult, and I would like to hear your stories about trying to conquest caves.

Also I have a belief that living down there is pretty much easier than living on the surface, as you don't have to deal with overheating and freezing (which I read to be a huge problem in the summer).

I didn't play this game for more than half of a year but the DLC just made me realize how great it is, so I'm trying to figure out some kind of overall strategy before jumping right into the wilderness. I guess I'll have to deal with a lot of surprises.

You are affected by weather and seasons down in the caves. For example, during spring, there will be constant rain in the caves (water infiltration dripping from the ceiling on your head). During summer, you can overheat and during winter, you can freeze. Caves add a bonus isolation to both heat and cold, though, making it ''easier'', but you still have to deal with weather. You don't want to get caught down in the ruins without anything to warm you up during winter or cool you down during summer ! There is not much you can do down there if you run out of supply =)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/34566-100-days-in-the-caves-1-year-journal/#entry449333

I started a run with 100 days in the caves from nearly day 1. i spent a week or so up top. (the writing is a bit extensive, but there're pictures of my latest run to cut it shorter) I had a run through w/ Webber but his low sanity was harder than normal, however the spiders were great. I had been lagging trying to stream it so I got taken out by a tentacle I thought I could outrun at day 35 or so. Right now I'm playing Wendy on day 41, but I got the bug where its permanight, so I have to get into the files and fix that. You wouldn't think it would effect caves, but it does quite a bit. My pigment don't come out, bunnies all the time, and the frogs from my underground pond don't surface. Plus nightmare hours are off for the Ancient Ruins.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/34566-100-days-in-the-caves-1-year-journal/#entry449333

I started a run with 100 days in the caves from nearly day 1. i spent a week or so up top. (the writing is a bit extensive, but there're pictures of my latest run to cut it shorter) I had a run through w/ Webber but his low sanity was harder than normal, however the spiders were great. I had been lagging trying to stream it so I got taken out by a tentacle I thought I could outrun at day 35 or so. Right now I'm playing Wendy on day 41, but I got the bug where its permanight, so I have to get into the files and fix that. You wouldn't think it would effect caves, but it does quite a bit. My pigment don't come out, bunnies all the time, and the frogs from my underground pond don't surface. Plus nightmare hours are off for the Ancient Ruins.

What do you think the best characters for caves are?

This was my thoughts on characters for it:

Character I'd use:

Willow/Maxwell for easy sanity gain.

Wendy for low sanity loss. (used and liked)

Wilson for insulation and high overall sanity.

Webber for ease with spiders and insulation. (used and liked, except for his low sanity)

Wigfrid for easy combat returns.

Characters I wont:

Wickerbottom - I don't play her enough to know how to manage her sanity w/o something strong like Walrus cap, and spoilage is an issue.

Wolfgang - food and sanity have been an issues in the caves so far.

WX - not enough gears peices.

Woodie - The night vision in beaver form would be cool, but not necessary. Plus the return to human form leaves you pretty drained

Modded Characters: a bit strong, I want the challenge.

Wes can go in either yes or no.

I didn't need to sleep as much as I felt like I would, plus food was in low supply.

Archived