Spikey trees need some love

Poll time!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Does this make Spikey trees interesting?

• Yes
    • Needs a little more
    • I don't like change("No" option)
  2. 2. The Treeguard

• I like it
    • Needs some changes(comment)
    • I'm terrible at fighting monsters("No" option)
  3. 3. The rose

• So pretty("Yes" option)
    • Could use a different colour("changes needed" option aka comment)
    • Every rose has it's thorns("no" option)

Spikey trees as they are now are good for one thin, and one thing only BURNING!!!! other than that they are pretty much left alone, My suggestion is to give them both life-cycle(different to normal tree's) and their own tree guard with it's own unique spawning requirements.

The Life cycle:

Baby stage: the spikey tree begins it's life as a tree in sapling form similar to planted pine cones and birch-nuts. These are not planted by the player(more on that later).

First stage: after some time it grows to it's lanky form(current model maybe slightly smaller). No change to drops.

Second stage: The spikey tree is somewhat taller, but mostly fatter,guaranteed log upon cut down and chance for extra one if burnt to a crisp.

Final stage: The spikey tree is bloated and looks like it is going to pop(spoilers: it does). Has a visible red rose on top. At the end of it's life the tree swells then bursts doing damage to nearby mobs/player. upon doing this it sends two seeds randomly flying(not too faraway) which upon landing germinate into the babystage. drops for cutting in time: 2 logs, possibly sap(maybe edible, who knows) Burnt form gives 3 charcoal ,1 ash with a chance for a log

And thus the cycle begins anew.

Lastly we have the tree guard stage. With it normal to burn these tree's into lovely charcoal since they aren't worth cutting for logs I propose the tree guard spawns upon the tree being SET ON FIRE! This can include natural fires, but the tree won't be initially hostile(aggro radius to player/being attacked). Attacks have a chance to light target on fire. Stats dependent on if set on fire in stage two or final, with stage one and baby not affected by tree spirits(TOO WEAK!)

Drops: 2 or 3 living logs(depending on strength) 3 or 5 charcoal, Burning Rose (was the fuse for expoldey tree).

About the Burning Rose: I believe that this item should be edible but instead of resoring stats, it damages sanity but agments theplayers natraul abilites.

E.G. Wilson's beard grows faster and provides protection from damage

Wendy:if Abigail isn't summoned summons Abigail, also improves stats

Wes: doubles balloon production

ETC

The effect would last one and a half in-game days, and the rose spoils(burns out) in 2 days, turning to ash instead of rot. Stacks up to: does not stack

Perhaps chopping down a spiky tree could yield a spiky log or tree spikes that could be used to make spike-based items

Some possible ideas:

• A spiky logsuit that does damage to attackers but has slightly less durability than a default logsuit.
  • A spiky club that could do slightly more damage than a spear but could be slightly slower and/or less durable
  • A spike trap that could deal damage like a tooth trap, but isn't as durable or deal as much damage as a tooth trap, but isn't as costly.
  • A spike bomb similar to a bee bomb, but shoots out spikes that deals damage to all nearby enemies within range of its radius.

These could provide some alternatives to certain items we currently use in the game and give the spiky tree a bit more use than charcoal material or scenery. The reason why they have slightly less durability is because of the spiky tree's frail appearance.

It gives access to certain items that would normally take the player a while to gather such as bees or hound teeth, but at a lower tier.

Archived