Night Light changes and Night Lanter idea

Right now, the Night Light is a somewhat useful light resource when you have insane amounts of nightmare fuel, but there are a few suggestion to make a lot more diverse than a mere modified fire camp.

1. Make it modifiable with gems: the default NL would be the one that we have right now, with a red gem model, but whit a smaller heat generation (70%) of current fire pit. Hovering a blue gem will add the option "socket", that will destroy the red gem and add a minor endotermic effect, similar to the version with the red gem but with a blue model. Also, it can use purple gem to change it to a brighter or more durable night light, but with a bigger sanity penalty. Finally you can socket the red gem to get the one that gives heat.

2. Make it un targetable for the ice flingomatic: this way you can have a reliable light source in summer.

3. Make it immune to rain modifiers to extend it light time (like the lantern or mining cap) 

If these changes would be too unintuitive, the recipe can be changed  to use a purple gem instead the red one to create same NL as we have now, but with the aditional socketable effects mentioned above.

My second idea is an item that I know wouldn't be added, the Night Lantern, a portable version of the night light that requires a lantern, thelucite and some nightmare fuel. It can be fueled only with nightmare fuel, drains slower durability than the light counterpart, drains sanity like the NLight and have a stable shorter radius. It can be crafted as a tier 1 ancient item

That's all

(:

People used to call the night light the most useless late game item, but it actually replaces fire as the primary source of light if you're living in caves or ruins.

I think any big changes you're suggesting might make night light op. But, I am drowning in nightmare fuel in late game so maybe this would be a good use for it.  On a side note, during night just take 6 damage and stop the smoldering before things catch on fire during summer.  Might be a decent mod idea though.  

Archived