Summer underground has mini glaciers

as the title suggests, I wanted to suggest that the underground, which should be a bit cooler, still has mini glaciers (and possibly larger glaciers in other seasons, possibly extremely large ones during winter...?)

Thermal stone anyone?

You freeze to death using the thermal stone, and it doesn't give the warning first, it automatically starts draining your life.

If you're desperate you can keep the stone hovering in your mouse while you walk around, putting in your inventory for a few seconds to stop overheating and then getting back to leave it hovering.

It's a pain in the ass, I wouldn't really call an alternative for ice (at least until they fix the script for the stone).

You freeze to death using the thermal stone, and it doesn't give the warning first, it automatically starts draining your life.

If you're desperate you can keep the stone hovering in your mouse while you walk around, putting in your inventory for a few seconds to stop overheating and then getting back to leave it hovering.

It's a pain in the ass, I wouldn't really call an alternative for ice (at least until they fix the script for the stone).

What about just lots of fuel an endothermic fire pit and an umbrella/eyebrella.  Would be like winter basically your umbrella is your thermal stone.  

There isn't.

But caves were suppose to be cooler since the last update anyways.

Sure there is. There are plenty ways to fight both overheating and smoldering without ice.

Fashion Melon

Chilled Amulent

Thermal Stone

Endothermic Fires

Down Thermantidote

Trees

Straw Hat (And some other hats)

Umbrella

Pretty Parasol

Ice Staff

Rot

Your hands (At the cost of 6 hp)

Sure there is. There are plenty ways to fight both overheating and smoldering without ice.

Fashion Melon

Chilled Amulent

Thermal Stone

Endothermic Fires

Down Thermantidote

Trees

Straw Hat (And some other hats)

Umbrella

Pretty Parasol

Ice Staff

Rot

Your hands (At the cost of 6 hp)

Aside from the Melon and Thermantidote that I never tried, all of these are terrible and don't work at all, except the amulet, which won't last more than a half dozen days. Hats, umbrellas and trees are useless. Endothermic fires are not mobile and you will overheat after taking a few steps from the fire. If you find yourself out of ice the odds are you won't have melons, amulets or even fought the Goose/Moose.

My first summer was hell to go through, now I have an ice box with max stacks of ice on all slots. Ice is the only way to go.

Aside from the Melon and Thermantidote that I never tried, all of these are terrible and don't work at all, except the amulet, which won't last more than a half dozen days. Hats, umbrellas and trees are useless. Endothermic fires are not mobile and you will overheat after taking a few steps from the fire. If you find yourself out of ice the odds are you won't have melons, amulets or even fought the Goose/Moose.

My first summer was hell to go through, now I have an ice box with max stacks of ice on all slots. Ice is the only way to go.

You know how I finished summer without a single summer, and barely overheating? (Like 3 seconds every now and then) Just an endothermic fire, a straw hat, an umbrella, and sometimes a thermal stone - non of which require ice, and I could leave my base and go on exploring like it was nothing. Just had to have a bit of nitre, grass, and logs (The last two you always carry when exploring, so not much different).

You know how I finished summer without a single summer, and barely overheating? (Like 3 seconds every now and then) Just an endothermic fire, a straw hat, an umbrella, and sometimes a thermal stone - non of which require ice, and I could leave my base and go on exploring like it was nothing. Just had to have a bit of nitre, grass, and logs (The last two you always carry when exploring, so not much different).

Nitre is limited and timely to acquire, much better to use it for gunpowder than wasting on fires.

In a pinch though ice is not needed at all to survive summer, that's the point in why the OP's suggestion is not needed.

Nitre is limited and timely to acquire, much better to use it for gunpowder than wasting on fires.

See, to me, gunpowder's a waste. It takes too long to explode that enemies can easily run out of it unless you stand on it and die or get damaged by it as well as them. I used to just leave it on the ground. Ice is useful, but not at all necessary. Nice to have, but not a must-have. 

In a pinch though ice is not needed at all to survive summer, that's the point in why the OP's suggestion is not needed.

Well, I guess not needed, but not having it is just hellish.

I assume the items that don't do jack s*** on the surface might have improved performance with the insulation from the caves, so maybe straw hats, trees and umbrellas might actually work on caves.

See, to me, gunpowder's a waste. It takes too long to explode that enemies can easily run out of it unless you stand on it and die or get damaged by it as well as them. I used to just leave it on the ground. Ice is useful, but not at all necessary. Nice to have, but not a must-have. 

Unless you have food and fuel for the entire season and can stay close to your base until Autumn, then I'd consider a total must-have.

The Ice hat is the best item during a summer by far, not only it allows you to spend days away from base, you still don't need to waste materials making endothermic fires every five seconds.

Gunpowder is extremely effective against giants, btw.

Unless you have food and fuel for the entire season and can stay close to your base until Autumn, then I'd consider a total must-have.

The Ice hat is the best item during a summer by far, not only it allows you to spend days away from base, you still don't need to waste materials making endothermic fires every five seconds.

Gunpowder is extremely effective against giants, btw.

Every five seconds? I just made one every night, like  a normal fire. It'd bring plenty of jerky with me inside my snow chester, and everything would be grand. I'm not saying the ice hat isn't fantastical, but Summer's just like winter, but with random fires every now and then. Winter's easier to survive with a puffy vest, but you still don't need a koalefant trunk. Should you get ice while you can? **** yeah, it's really useful. Are you ****ed if you don't? No. Ice in caves is not absolutely needed.

Archived