Killing the Dragonfly in melee - is it possible?

@psyk90913 deserves more credit here. Fantastic explanation whilst most other people seemed to miss the point of this thread.

Honestly, my issue with the relationship between armour and kiting is neither of them make sense as methods that don't require each other. It makes no sense what so ever, and seems really clumsy. As much as I like kiting for how mundane combat becomes without it, armour-teching seems redundant when there's always an answer in the form of kiting.

Oh wellz.

I don't know why you guys have to tank his swipe attack. I can be hit only because of my bad timing, not the kiting pattern

It seem I should describe more detail my pattern:

We should know well about his attack pattern first:

a. He does the aoe attack

b.Then one swipe attack

c. If he can track down the enemy, repeat a and b

d. If not, he become docile and wander around to burn something until being provoke, he repeat a, b, c

Below is my pattern:

1. If he does the aoe attack

=> run away

=> come back to him to bait him attack

2. He does the swipe attack

=> run away

=> comeback and hit him twice, you can't hit more than this.

=> continue run away to make him lost interest on you. My advise is run around instead of run direct, so he can't burn anything in his road while he is angry.

3. He is docile

=> hit him twice

4. This is the end of the loop. Repeat this.

Note that this is defensive kiting. If you want to be safe,use this, it will take a long time, otherwise you can remove the step run around to make him lost interest. But it will be a bit hard to timing right. I call this kinda offensive kiting. 

Sorry I'm too lazy to record a video, hope those WOT is clear enough to explain.

I'm testing it out now. Since the dragonfly swings while being able to move toward the player, even while on a road, I can't seem to kite his swing. How?

Edit: Alright so I figured it out.

The key is to never let the Dragonfly swipe at you in the first place.

What you do is you run up to the Dragonfly and attack him twice quickly and run away until he stops chasing you (should still be enraged). Once he stops chasing you you're free to go back in and attack him twice more and run away again. Since the 2 attacks cause him to use his fire AoE, which makes him sit in place as he does it, this gives you the window of opportunity to get some distance on the Dragonfly to stay out of his swipe range.

With a dark sword, night armour, and a pair of moggles it took me about a 1 and 1/4 of a day to kill a Dragonfly in this manner.

Some time is added due to the ducking and dodging of shadow creatures. I'm unsure if it would've been faster if I had instead defaulted to a ham bat and a log suit as it would reduce damage output but then again I probably wouldn't have had to deal with shadow creatures.

I tested today and feel sorry for anyone followed my above post but still get hit by dragonfly. I can't avoid his swipe attack now. Not sure because they change something since the new patch is released or cause I don't remember exactly(I haven't play DS for a nearly month). My bad, my bad 

Like @Doctor H. Derp said, you hit him twice then run away until he is docile then repeat. This is perfect kiting which @simplex was looking for.

I can't upload the video yet so I post the screenshot using above kiting pattern as demo proof.

It took me merely 1.5 day as Wigfrid and I still being get hit 3-4 times by mistakes so this can't be "perfect" in practice lol

1RiQs5W.jpg

6 minutes at nearly 2x speed...   :|

It's worth for the perfect kiting pattern which you take as least damage as possible.

Anyway the Goose is ridiculous easy as a pie compare to his comrade Giant Bearger and Dragonfly.

It's worth for the perfect kiting pattern which you take as least damage as possible.

Anyway the Goose is ridiculous easy as a pie compare to his comrade Giant Bearger and Dragonfly.

More my point is that it takes that long via kiting. Pretty ridic.

seems like its not even worth killing it. may aswell set giants to none lol. the drops arent even worth the pain! the real problem is that klei obviously doesnt want us to kite but tanking anything is pretty impossible

Archived