Volcanoes + Meteors + Other Disasters

I think Volcanoes would be sick in summer, like a alternate to caves, these Volcanoes can only be entered during summer and would be very hostile, it would be extremely hot in there and ice would melt very quickly, the ordinary ice block wouldn't be enough to keep you cool a endothermic fire would be needed as well, there would be plenty of boulders and some of a newer ore/rock that can make lava pools when mined and drop metals. Volcanoes would be rare and wouldn't occur vary often 1-2 would spawn on the first summer and so the tools could be quite powerful, the possibility of making a bucket from the metal and allowing you to gather lava for usage in other places

Meteors can strike anywhere on the map as long as it is off screen, it is signalled by a whooshing sound, a shadow passing over the screen before a massive crash is heard, this signals the spawning of a meteor biome. Meteor biomes host many hostile creatures a Meteor Lobster the Rock Lobsters Alien cousin, and little meteor insects that dart around attacking normal creatures. Another creature that could be possible is a Boss meteor Golem that you can fight, and also a neutral pig like creature from the meteors. The meteor ore could be combined with the Metal from volcano in a smelter (made from metal, lava and meteor fragments) to make an alloy (possibly thulecite) which can be used to make weapons.

Earthquakes above ground would shake your whole camp, cracks can appear in the ground which eventually heal, some trees fall over, some boulders are destroyed and each structure has a 1 in 10 chance of being destroyed. The holes in the ground can however allow cave creatures onto the surface, and also can spew out gold and rocks, and rarely gems, when they are made.

Tsunami, washes over a camp uproots everything not bolted down (most structures survive) others are taken with it, including the character dealing 100 damage and can be affected by modifiers, when the wave finishes you are knocked out until the beginning of the next day, in which there are puddles everywhere and you are waterlogged, your whole inventory is on the ground as well as anything that was broken in the Tsunami, however Tsunamis give back everything that was broken down when it washed over so it is only a small issue when you have to rush back to camp and set everything back up. Can only occur in the Spring, but not the first one.

Tornado, very similar to a Tsunami, Autumn counterpart, cannot occur in the first Autumn

I'd love the idea of maybe meteors coming down in random locations and wrecking havoc. The Realm of Giants has to much stuff that you can prepare for not enough spontaneous struggle. And I agree with an alternative to caves but volcano is ehhh. Maybe like underwater, like inside ponds. And like coral, and merman and stuff.

Some really good ideas in this thread. I do support the Volcano idea since Klei could work in Volcanic eruptions as the meteor cause. See, the issue with meteors as a natural disaster is it suggests that there is 'space' in the world of Don't Starve. As it stands, there is no such information to infer what the Don't Starve universe is besides perhaps an alternate universe within the Book of Shadows. Because of a lack of information there, implementing a disaster that occurs from extraneous sources has to have a lore that fits the current build.

Besides the issue with Meteor lore, I love the idea of Volcanoes or Under-Water Volcanoes (as MrTeHe101 suggests, as it reuses the current lore/models and not new stuff). Only issue with something under-water that reuses Merms is, once again, lore--Merms are currently suggested by Maxwell to be the 'ancient race' that's become corrupt over time or something along those lines, so you have a bit of a conflict there.

However, a Volcano that forms in a biome and changes the Biome to be something hostile, with new unrelated features, through erupting wouldn't break anything and would be an interesting feature to throw in. 

The other two natural disasters (Tsunami and Tornado) I think could do with some tinkering. For instance, a Hurricane could be a good option, potentially affecting the player like WX-78 and rain (ticks of damage) to represent debris striking the player. My only issue with the two Natural Disasters is that they don't have much of an intended place besides mechanics to throw the player around. Don't get me wrong, I recommended Natural Disasters a good few months ago, but I do think they have to have a less general affect and a more 'Gameplay-intended' place in the mechanics of Don't Starve. 

All in all, solid ideas.

The Idea behind Tsunamis and Tornados is so that people can think they are safe only to be throw around, it can really rustle people, and can also allow people to rebuild their base differently. The volcano idea you had was my original idea, but then I got the whole smeltery station idea, and i thought that could be cool. One of the main points behind this is to add more armours or alternate armour to the current ones because Marble armour is highly impractical and it is really hard to get thulecite armour, while woodern armour sucks. I think that Volcanoes and Meteors provide a good chance for a newer metal or ore to allow for a much better bridge between Wood and Thulecite Armours, because most people dont like Marble myself included.

Archived