My thoughts on this whole Seasonal Giants business

Disclaimer: I haven't got RoG yet, so I can't say I have all this from experience. But I did look up the stats for such things on the wiki.

Really, Giants should not be dropping anything of such great use on their own. I know that in the next release they won't be dropping the whole item, but who says that the items aren't going to be trivial to craft like "Deerclops Eyeball + 10 grass + 5 twigs"?

My main fear with the Giants getting their own drops is that they will eventually become "It's really annoying that I can't find the giant to get this cool loot" and not "It's really ******* scary that this monster just sliced through my base like a hot knife through butter" like they should be.

But, let's talk about the Ancient Guardian.

As we all know, combining the Deerclops Eyeball with the Ancient Guardian horn makes a Houndus Shootius, a very useful gun turret. But I'm okay with this because, if you've gone to the trouble to fight both the Deerclops and the Ancient Guardian, especially with the labyrinth where the Ancient Guardian lives, you deserve some kind of reward. And really, the Houndus Shootius isn't that big of a deal. It's more of a "consolation prize".

So, my theory is that this should be extended to all giants. That is, combining the Giant's drop with an Ancient Guardian Horn will create the item.

Now, this isn't my only problem with the giant drops. As everyone else is saying here, they just aren't that good. They also seem to "foray" into each season. The Deerclops drops the facepalm-worthy Eyebrella to help you with the next Spring, and the Spring giant drops the Down Feather to help you with the next Summer, and the Bearger drops the Hibernation Vest to help you with the next Winter. And none of these items have drawbacks.

Now let's look at another type of boss mob that is very threatening: the Spider Queen.

The Spider Queen does have its own drop, the Spiderhat. Which allows you to control the spiders. But it has a disadvantage; Removing this hat causes the huge spider horde to tear your guts out. And there's also the sanity drain. So every boss mob's drops should be like this:

-Made with monster drop + guardian horn

-Has a disadvantage of some kind

I'll post some ideas soon.

I wouldn't say that ever item drop needs to have a drawback. The drawback should be in the hardness of acquiring the item, really. Having a unique combination of guardian horn + giant drop for every giant would be really cool, but having only that would be a bit boring aswell. In rezecibs linked thread, there are a bunch of ideas that I actually like a lot.

Seing how there is only 1 ancient guardian per cave and that there are like 3 caves per world, it would be sad if all giant items required the ancient horn, unless ancient guardians respawned (which I hope will never happen) =\

I wouldn't mind finding a way to reach new ones though.

Ancient guardian doesn't respawn, so its not a good idea to include him in multiple recipes.

How about this: The ancient guardian respawns every X days or so, but only drops the Large Ornate Chest once. Maybe he can advance up to the surface to come for you too.

Archived