"Tamable" Creatures + Weapons

Hello, long time player first time poster.  I really enjoyed the additions to brought to the game with Reign of Giants (the Vanilla version was becoming a bit dry, as the same starting strategies seemed to work for many different scenarios). However, with the new features brought in RoG the game has become even more in depth.  However, I think there should be a few more additions to it. Also, sorry if any of these suggestions have been made already, and thank you in advance for even looking at these.

Firstly, I really think a Bow and Arrow should be introduced.  I mean, assuming that the earliest these characters came from was 1900-ish, and one of the basic premises is scientific advancement, the creation of a bow and arrow is not unreasonably.  of course, to keep the bow in check and not be OP, you'd have to have the bow have a fire limit (say 15 or 20) and you would have to make each individual arrow (probably out of a stick, an azure feather and either a hounds tooth or flint).  You could also add a flaming arrow, by changing the flint for charcoal and the azure feather for a crimson feather.  I guess a freezing arrow is also plausible, but it seems more magical than scientific.

I also really think some animals should be able to be domesticated.  If not, at least tamed.  The biggest one I can think of are the hounds.  With the addition of desert the hound mounds now have a reliable spawn point in Sand Box Mode.  But destroying the hound mounds only stop hounds from spawning.  What if they gave you a way to get a hound mound (or maybe even hound pups that you would have to raise, much like Tall Birds) that creates not necessarily friendly hounds, but at least neutral ones.  These neutral hounds would be very much like pigs of Bunny Men.  Neutral overall, and if given food they become friendly.  Though of  course, if you attacked them would attack back. And killing all the friendly hounds would mean starting the process all over again.  Also, if you fed them too much monster meat of monster jerky they would become hostile for a time (to prevent spamming of eternally friendly hounds).

I guess the above idea could apply in some ways to other mobs, though I'm not sure how.

Also, Idk if it has changed, but the beefalo horn should have a longer effectiveness.  So moving beefalo herds is more feesible.  Also, speaking of animals and herds, I think an interesting idea might be to add a type of horse to the world.  But that isn't necessary, just a thought.

Really that were the things that I thought could use a patch/implementation.  Thank you for listening/reading again.   

RE: Bow and Arrow

There is already Blow Dart and Fire Dart (as well as Sleep Dart)

So adding a bow and arrow seems redundant. And the Freeze Staff is the equivalent of your suggested freeze arrow.

RE: Domesticated Animal

The Catcoon is pretty close to that, at least right now. Since it is part of the Beta Reign of Giants, its behavior may change.

RE: New Animal

Chester basically already serves as a pack animal and adding a riding animal seems unnecessary.

However, if a new animal is introduced, how about the Camemu - A desert bird that is part Dromedary Camel and part Emu -

RE: Bow and Arrow

There is already Blow Dart and Fire Dart (as well as Sleep Dart)

So adding a bow and arrow seems redundant. And the Freeze Staff is the equivalent of your suggested freeze arrow.

RE: Domesticated Animal

The Catcoon is pretty close to that, at least right now. Since it is part of the Beta Reign of Giants, its behavior may change.

RE: New Animal

Chester basically already serves as a pack animal and adding a riding animal seems unnecessary.

However, if a new animal is introduced, how about the Camemu - A desert bird that is part Dromedary Camel and part Emu -

Well the Fire and Blow Darts are not very efficient (can't replant reeds to get the necessary items, the feather are seasonally available and can cause krampus attacks etc).  The bow and arrow would be alternative, though possibly weaker and more costly range weapon.  By more costly I mean that not only would you have to craft the boy, but also craft the arrows, whereas the blow darts you only have to craft one thing. 

The catcoon is only one, and there are a whole host of animals in the Don't Starve Realm.  Creating ways (ranging in difficulty of course, as it shouldn't be easy to have a hound pack at your disposal) could add another layer to the game.

The new animal was just a thought.  That was really the most overlookable idea. Though I do like the Camel-Emu combo.  

Idea: A craftable Rat Den that could Spawn Rats similar to a Hound Mound.

The rats are friendly, and attack anything aggressive in the area.

Place rot in the den to keep them fed, else they starve. It would take 2 days for the a Rat to respawn.

They would have low health and attack, but the limit at a time could be 10, so they swarm enemies!

That would be cool!

(If normal rats are unoriginal, how 'bout a BatRat?)

Archived