What's the Deal with Wetness?

I'm no expert when it comes to Reign of Giants, but I'm sure most of us have noticed the little wetness meter that appears when you get rained on. I assume it causes sanity drain when it gets high enough, but I've been able to keep it down pretty easily so I'm not very familiar with its ill effects.

But then I noticed that my sanity was draining very quickly for no reason at apparently random times. I wasn't wet, it wasn't night, and I wasn't standing near anything especially evil. Eventually, I noticed this sanity loss seemed to correlate to the items in my inventory being wet.

So it seems that, even though the wetness meter is empty, I and/or my inventory are somehow still wet and that's causing a major sanity drain.

I still don't entirely understand what's going on here, but I can say one thing: I think this system needs to be a lot more intuitive.

Can someone please explain what the heck is going on here so I can complain about it more coherently? :/

I'm no expert when it comes to Reign of Giants, but I'm sure most of us have noticed the little wetness meter that appears when you get rained on. I assume it causes sanity drain when it gets high enough, but I've been able to keep it down pretty easily so I'm not very familiar with its ill effects.

But then I noticed that my sanity was draining very quickly for no reason at apparently random times. I wasn't wet, it wasn't night, and I wasn't standing near anything especially evil. Eventually, I noticed this sanity loss seemed to correlate to the items in my inventory being wet.

So it seems that, even though the wetness meter is empty, I and/or my inventory are somehow still wet and that's causing a major sanity drain.

I still don't entirely understand what's going on here, but I can say one thing: I think this system needs to be a lot more intuitive.

Can someone please explain what the heck is going on here so I can complain about it more coherently? :/

Simple:

1. Items get wet and take FOREVER to dry unless you put them in a chest.

2. Wetness needs a lot of tweaking.

3. Apparantly crafting items with wet ingredients makes a wet item.

Archived