Just died on Day 32

Whew! Tough new game. Anyways, I wanted to RofG some feedback, so here it is:

Likes -

1) Full moon illuminates the night. Very much like in real life, if I was out in the wilderness or something. Really makes me feel like I'm there!

2) Above ground mushtrees during the full moon. I thought it was gold!

3) Regular flowers become evil flowers during the full moon, and they stay like that for a while if you stick around. Really getting creative with the environment here, and that definitely tweaked the difficulty level a bit.

4) Acorns. Crazy overpowered, but at the cost of losing future trees. You think it isn't much, but after chopping down a few patches of those acorn-carrying trees you start to wonder how many are left.

5) Electric Doodad is by far the coolest item. It's a battery, but a cool looking battery! It should really be required to make an alchemy machine, since you know, the alchemy machine flashes with electricity when used.

6) Desert biome full of hound dens. Can anyone say free unlimited monster meat or what?

7) Tumbleweed! Its pretty cool, a mixed bag of sorts though. It can cost precious time just to see whats inside. I'd love to know the drop rates for it's list of items.

8) Pengull's spawn mini-glaciers. I thought this was brilliant, because at first after mining all of the ones in the rocky biome I thought I made a terrible mistake and wouldn't have enough to make the snow-throwing machine.

9) Snow-throwing machine. Really interesting, but I didn't get far enough to use it (did make it though).

10) New hammer features are also pretty neat! I can whack a mole to get my item back (guy took my heatstone >:( ), and crush skeletons for shards!

Dislikes - 

1) Sanity drain when wet. In addition to whether or not it's dusk or nighttime, if it starts to rain my sanity drain increases, and it goes up again if I'm holding or wearing anything not called "Umbrella, Rain Coat, or Beefalo Hat". I think the tool slipping is really cool, and the possibility of freezing when really wet very good, but this "my sanity is decreasing because I'm wet" thing is bogus. It makes me think "Why does my sanity drain at dusk anyways?" I understand the night one, because it's the fear of the unknown (grue), but whats to fear during dusk? Anyways it's bad for early game because the player has yet to prepare for the upcoming seasonal danger, and is preparing, but the extra pressure makes it so you're nearly always near spawning hallucinations. 

2) No Koalefant. Period. I looked high and far, and no juicy meatball. My left arm for something to wear on body not called Logsuit. Even if I didn't want to make a vest, I could've at least eaten for a couple of days, and get that awesome hp heal after eating the trunk. I can't count how many times finding a Koalefant has saved me, with it's banquet of meat and the cherry on top trunk. To be honest, I didn't have enough resources to craft either of the vests, but I'll get to why later.

3) Buzzard. Whats the point? Seriously, what does it do? I hit it once, it flies away. I kill it, and get almost nothing worth my reward. I can just kill hound after hound in the desert for meats, feed to pigs, and get 2xmeat+ pigskin. Maybe make it so when you kill 3 or 4 it summons Krampus? I don't know, but this guy seems so pointless.

4) Not enough spiders. Maybe I didn't explore the entirety of the map, but I had visited every biome EXCEPT the farthest one, which was deep forest. I thought spiders were ubiquitous in Don't Starve, but I only found one den in the early grasslands. A limited amount of silk means I either had to go underground (I did) or go without. I know this may not be a legitimate dislike because I didn't explore the entire map, but in my non-RofG files spiders are more plentiful in areas like the savanna, rockyland, graveyard, and grasslands. I didn't see as much in my RofG file.

5) Not enough mushrooms, and I mean the ones that help. I noticed there were more on the map then what I thought was normal, but they're usefulness is limited if after every rain you go back to where it is, pluck it, and then go back to base as it's becoming nighttime. Because of the frequency of rain (and it's wetness sanity drain), you grow to depend on mushrooms for regaining sanity.

Overall, I liked it. But I thought trying to prepare for winter and summer simultaneously was too hard. Getting to those mini-glaciers in winter without full winter gear while staving off increased sanity drains AND hunger (sadly I hadn't made drying racks) was too much. I think I'll wait until the next fix to pick up the game again, losing 32 days reminded me how unforgiving DS can be ;(

Buzzards are cool ! They make desert a more realistic place and when you know the trick to kill them it's a better source of meat than the hounds.
AND so far gobblers were the only way to get drumstick. Now it's easier with buzzards !

3) Buzzard. Whats the point? Seriously, what does it do? I hit it once, it flies away. I kill it, and get almost nothing worth my reward. I can just kill hound after hound in the desert for meats, feed to pigs, and get 2xmeat+ pigskin. Maybe make it so when you kill 3 or 4 it summons Krampus? I don't know, but this guy seems so pointless.

Did you try leaving a piece of meat on the ground to lure them in?

Its a good way to exchange monster meat for edible meat.

Archived