[Mod Request] Compost Piles

raptor980

I was just thinking after I read a different mod idea and thought there should be compost piles in this game. This is just an alternate way to get compost(manure) for your crops for those of us who don't want to live next a beefalo herd/ pigs. 

So my idea is that you can build a compost pile and load X number of plant materials in it (including grass,berry bushes,acorns,flowers,etc.). After 3-5 days, the plants break down into compost which you can collect for your farms.

I'd love to see this mod made if any of you want to make it.

Hey guys, im implementing this one right now. It is working very proper atm and I think im gonna test it so it will be ready in a few days.

Features:

• Rotting veggies, fruits, meals, grass, twigs, cones, flowers, mushrooms and seeds (mandrakes, too :))
  • Dropping 1-4 Poop after a few days (~1.5-10 days) with given criterias (amount of stuff, spoilage ..)
  • Burnable with 0-3 ash (amount ~poopamount)
  • Probability of fireflies (usual: 2%, 90% in a specific case)
  • Design: ~Farm + fancy poop-flies, New UI(5 Slots)
  • Tech-Category: Food (Science Machine needed)

Planned:

• (Low) Probability of growing plants
  • Specific Minimap icon
  • Better Textures

Greetz and thanks for the nice request!

Sincerely

Hey, thanks for the nice replies!

Actually, you can harvest it like a farm or berry-bush. It may take a while until its ready, but you can click on the pile and it should say "harvest". The spot, you can click on is very small, indeed.. This is hard to change.

I will add rot to the recipes in the next version!

Oh, nice, I used a mod and waited ~40 days (luckily it took 10 seconds) but didn't see anywhere I could harvest. I'll try again though.

Is there a way to make it have 3 states like "empty", "full" and "ready to harvest"?

Nice mod btw!

@evillair Usually the longest ever time the compost pile may take is 10 days; usually no longer than 5 days. Everything else seems to be a bug. The states are represented as following:

• Empty: Small Pile
  • Full/Rotting: Big Pile and no Flies (char says "This may take a while" if it'll take more than 3 days and "You can watch it rot" alternatively)
  • Ready to harvest: Big Pile + Flies (consider: flies disappear if you stand too near)

I will take a look at this bugs later on.

Hey @evillair i took a look at the mod and didnt find any bug. I think, that your fast forward didnt work well here. Its similar to cookpots. If you - for example - sleep during cooking time, the meal will not be cooked afterwards. The time does not pass while sleeping etc.. Maybe try it again.

If you try it again, you can open the console (default: Strg+L) and see a value x formatted: "console.lua: start    x" This value should be between 1000 and 5000 which is appr. 2 and 10 days. 

Remember: rotting takes time!

I can confirm, that it works. I talked to s1m13 about this mod before he uploaded it here, so I´m informed, how it works in the background (although i did not code with him).

But you have to wait, like he said above: 5 nearly rotten berries took 2 days including the nighttime, before I could harvest the poop. I think, it´s ok, because otherwise you would have so much poop, that it will break the gamebalance.

Hey @evillair i took a look at the mod and didnt find any bug. I think, that your fast forward didnt work well here. Its similar to cookpots. If you - for example - sleep during cooking time, the meal will not be cooked afterwards. The time does not pass while sleeping etc.. Maybe try it again.

If you try it again, you can open the console (default: Strg+L) and see a value x formatted: "console.lua: start    x" This value should be between 1000 and 5000 which is appr. 2 and 10 days. 

Remember: rotting takes time!

Implement a LongUpdate function in the composter component so that it takes into account instant time advancement (sleeping, etc).

Here's the growable component's LongUpdate function for reference (the dt parameter is the amount of time passed):

function Growable:LongUpdate(dt)	if self.targettime then		local time_from_now = (self.targettime - dt) - GetTime()		time_from_now = math.max(0, time_from_now)		self:StartGrowing(time_from_now)	endend

Implement a LongUpdate function in the composter component so that it takes into account instant time advancement (sleeping, etc).

Here's the growable component's LongUpdate function for reference (the dt parameter is the amount of time passed):

function Growable:LongUpdate(dt)	if self.targettime then		local time_from_now = (self.targettime - dt) - GetTime()		time_from_now = math.max(0, time_from_now)		self:StartGrowing(time_from_now)	endend

Will be available on next release. Thanks a lot, @squeek!

What do you have planned for art for the different states? Going to keep what you have?

I posted a new version yesterday evening. Have a look on that! I didnt plan any changes on this state, especially cause i cant find my scml files anymore -.- (pngs are left though)

Current design settings:

• Small pile, when empty and not rotting
  • Big pile, when full and rotting (or done)
  • Poop flies flying around, when the rotting is done

Thoughts of future design: (im not a designer enthusiast, so probably just thoughts)

• Fertile Soil modifications
  • Shriveling Pile over time

If someone wants to help or has any suggestions on design, let me know!

Good stuff!

Yeah a method of fertilizing would be nice.

Perhaps something specific that is not too easy to get early game would work? Just a thought.

I dont really get ur point.. Oo Fertilizing doesnt make sense on a compost pile, which produces poop itself?! By writing "fertile soil" i meant the fertile soil status a compost pile can gain. (Take a look: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/435-stinky-in-here/ [balance and Variables Spoiler])

What do you mean with early game specific?

I dont really get ur point.. Oo Fertilizing doesnt make sense on a compost pile, which produces poop itself?! By writing "fertile soil" i meant the fertile soil status a compost pile can gain. (Take a look: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/435-stinky-in-here/ [balance and Variables Spoiler])

What do you mean with early game specific?

My bad, forget I said anything, I hadn't seen that Bonuses section last time, you have what I wanted. :)

You should have the compost production slow down in winter. Composting requires heat and moisture. While there might be lots of water (snow) in winter, it is cold. Now if you could somehow make fires boost the speed of composting (if the pile is near it) in the winter, then I think it'd balance itself out.

Just an idea. Not sure how hard that would be to code though.

I have to take a look at it. At the moment, there is just a "date" when the compost will ready plus a timed action, that performs completion after a given amount of time. I have to look for a listener i can implement, which performs, when winter or summer starts. How to implement a component, which can check the warmth, may be very hard..

Archived