Hounds spawning too rarely

I created a new world a couple of days ago, changing a few options: world size to huge, hounds and tentacles and rocks to more, trees to lots. At first I had a lot of fun exploring and finding somewhere to set up my camp, but I soon noticed that I was not having as much trouble with frequent hound attacks as I had expected that I would; in fact, I'm now up to day 65 and I've only been attacked two or three times. I'm drastically short of both hounds' teeth and gems and I'm not sure what to do about it as I like this world and have spent a number of hours on it already.

Before I consider scrapping everything and starting over too seriously, I thought I'd ask here if this is some kind of known bug or if I must've just clicked the wrong arrow by mistake. And if it's the latter, is there some sort of tool I can use to edit my save and adjust the setting?

I created a new world a couple of days ago, changing a few options: world size to huge, hounds and tentacles and rocks to more, trees to lots. At first I had a lot of fun exploring and finding somewhere to set up my camp, but I soon noticed that I was not having as much trouble with frequent hound attacks as I had expected that I would; in fact, I'm now up to day 65 and I've only been attacked two or three times. I'm drastically short of both hounds' teeth and gems and I'm not sure what to do about it as I like this world and have spent a number of hours on it already.

Before I consider scrapping everything and starting over too seriously, I thought I'd ask here if this is some kind of known bug or if I must've just clicked the wrong arrow by mistake. And if it's the latter, is there some sort of tool I can use to edit my save and adjust the setting?

If it's gems you're worrying about you could probably dig them up from a grave, if you're looking for hounds teeth mactusk or maybe a hound mound could be a good source

Well, it's not likely a bug, it's likely natural (or unnatural) hazards that are killing them off.

If there are lots of tentacles, spiders, frogs, and other creatures that can engage (and with spiders, eat) the hounds, you may never get them to your location intact.

I can personally say I witnessed this with simple frogs blocking the hounds getting to my base, let alone what tentacles and spiders would have done if they tried to run through a mini-swamp area (should they have gotten through the frog pond zone.) 

But yeah, if teeth is an issue, hunt Mactusk in winter, but focus on the ice hounds and be grateful they spawn faster than Mactusk does. 

Archived