Spriter Source Assets

Cheerio

• Developer

Spriter source assets will be made available on Github.  Currently there are only the character builds available but expect the list to grow and include animations as I make the script which uploads the assets better :-).  This should hopefully make it much easier to replace builds and add new animations to the game.

https://github.com/kleientertainment/ds_assets

Yes. As long as you're on Windows. The conversion tools are Windows-only, right now.

Though the animation tool (Spriter) is available for Mac, so I've been able to create a number of animations that others have converted.

You can see the Skeletons I've been animating for Night Terrors in the Halloween Trailer. Completely custom art and animation.

The tools are on Steam. Go to Library > Tools and you can download the Don't Starve Mod Tools.

There should be a guide to use it in the pinned guides/tutorials thread.

I believe Cheerio linked you to a Flash > Spriter converter in a thread you made the other day, but you'd really be better with Spriter. It's a nice program, and it's guaranteed to work. Well, once all the little bugs have been ironed out.
I'm sure I'll end up causing finding more, the more freedom we're given, here, Cheerio. xP

Yes. As long as you're on Windows. The conversion tools are Windows-only, right now.

Though the animation tool (Spriter) is available for Mac, so I've been able to create a number of animations that others have converted.

You can see the Skeletons I've been animating for Night Terrors in the Halloween Trailer. Completely custom art and animation.

Whaah? I didn't know that mac had Sprinter available? I've been training with Flash this entire time to prepare for a windows computer .-.

Augh I should have practised keeping my eyes open instead xD

EDIT: I just downloaded the mod tools from steam on my mac but I can only find the publisher. Do I have to buy spriter separately outside of Don't Starve for mac usage?

Whaah? I didn't know that mac had Sprinter available? I've been training with Flash this entire time to prepare for a windows computer .-.

Augh I should have practised keeping my eyes open instead xD

EDIT: I just downloaded the mod tools from steam on my mac but I can only find the publisher. Do I have to buy spriter separately outside of Don't Starve for mac usage?

You don't have to buy it, no. There's a free version (which is what's included in the download of the Windows Mod Tools.)

The pro version is nice, though, if you're a serious animator.

You can get it at http://www.brashmonkey.com

Or just use krane then apply the same logic on the output.

When I try to use krane on handheld swap_ items, it complains that there's no anim.bin (since there isn't), and I can't make a spriter project for them. What we want to do specifically is make a custom item based on the shovel (shovel.zip and swap_shovel.zip), but we can't find a way to compile our images into the swap_variant. Any ideas?

When I try to use krane on handheld swap_ items, it complains that there's no anim.bin (since there isn't), and I can't make a spriter project for them. What we want to do specifically is make a custom item based on the shovel (shovel.zip and swap_shovel.zip), but we can't find a way to compile our images into the swap_variant. Any ideas?

Yeah, swap zips don't have anims because they are just build/symbol replacements, not actual animations. What you can do is use ktech on atlas-0.tex to pull the actual image, then follow the equippable item tutorial to turn it (back) into actual item.

Alternatively, use a replacement anim out of another zip and run krane on it (that will actually split the images properly) but dismiss the scml file it generated entirely and still follow the tutorial above.

Archived