Missing Portraits

Is anyone else experiencing missing portraits for custom characters?  I'm playing the Steam version of this game on PC.  I've tried a variety of characters, with and without other mods, and I always get a big black rectangle where the character portrait should be on a new game.

Also, how the heck do I search these forums, b/c I'm sure someone else has had this problem before.

Yep, it seems to me this is getting more frequent. I have the same problem since a while and it seems that noone came up with a solution until now. There's one character portrait that works for me though and that is the Link mod from Dana. Out of curiousity, can you please look if that one works for you as well?

• Developer

No, Link does not work either.  That in itself is telling, but I'm not the sort to know what that means.

Do you mean this portrait?  And if so, what os are you running and what graphics card and is it the steam build?  I haven't had any missing portraits at work or on my home pc.

post-283016-0-03536400-1382917687_thumb.

Do you mean this portrait?  And if so, what os are you running and what graphics card and is it the steam build?  I haven't had any missing portraits at work or on my home pc.

attachicon.giflink.jpg

I know you might not've asked me directly but since I basicaly have the same problem:

Windows 7

Dell LATITUDE E4300

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Playing the Steam version

Maybe the laptop is just to bad for it, seems odd to me though.

Same issue here.

post-248660-0-97461200-1382946421_thumb.

Relevant errors in log.txt:

ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/images/saveslot_portraits/link.tex. glGetError returned 0x501120x120 format: 0x1908 mips: 7ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/images/selectscreen_portraits/link.tex. glGetError returned 0x501188x188 format: 0x1908 mips: 9ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/modicon.tex. glGetError returned 0x501120x120 format: 0x1908 mips: 7
Windows 7 64-bit, ATI Radeon HD 5700, Steam (Rev 88307)

Have either of you tried creating a custom character portrait with the newer template which uses power-of-two dimensions?
I think the only thing different between the bigportrait and the other things is that I used the newer template that needs an atlas to crop it down to size... and I'm pretty sure I used DXT5 compression, since it was power-of-two...

That is literally the only thing I can think of... I don't see this issue on my end, so... I'm not sure how to help. And I'm going by memory of what I asked a friend to do for me a while back... since I can't use the conversion tools on my Mac, and regrettably can't download the >2gig package needed to compile Simplex's tools on my end, with this internet connection...

• Developer

Same issue here.

attachicon.giflinkmod.jpg

Relevant errors in log.txt:

ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/images/saveslot_portraits/link.tex. glGetError returned 0x501120x120 format: 0x1908 mips: 7ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/images/selectscreen_portraits/link.tex. glGetError returned 0x501188x188 format: 0x1908 mips: 9ERROR: HWTexture::DeserializeTexture failed on ../mods/link/modicon.tex. glGetError returned 0x501120x120 format: 0x1908 mips: 7
Windows 7 64-bit, ATI Radeon HD 5700, Steam (Rev 88307)

Has this worked for you before?

Have either of you tried creating a custom character portrait with the newer template which uses power-of-two dimensions?

What have I missed? Where can I find the newer template?

Has this worked for you before?

For me it never worked on this PC.

What have I missed? Where can I find the newer template?

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/files/file/202-sample-mods/

Sample Character Templates 2.

You'll also need the atlas .xml - Link's is

<Atlas><Texture filename="link.tex" /><Elements><Element name="link.tex" u1="0.0" u2="0.546875" v1="0.296875" v2="1.0" /></Elements></Atlas>

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/files/file/202-sample-mods/

Sample Character Templates 2.

You'll also need the atlas .xml - Link's is

<Atlas><Texture filename="link.tex" /><Elements><Element name="link.tex" u1="0.0" u2="0.546875" v1="0.296875" v2="1.0" /></Elements></Atlas>

When you said new I didn't think you meant two months old  : P

But looking at the atlas, you suggest to use a power of two image and crop it with the atlas? That seems like a tedious task to get right. But I guess I'll try. Thanks for the idea.

When you said new I didn't think you meant two months old  : P

But looking at the atlas, you suggest to use a power of two image and crop it with the atlas? That seems like a tedious task to get right. But I guess I'll try. Thanks for the idea.

Squeek's log listed the problem files' dimensions and they were all non-power-of-two...

The bigportrait is the only one fixed to have compatible dimensions in my Link mod, and that seems to work, so if you haven't tried creating a custom portrait with that template, I'd say it's worth a shot.

The atlas is already figured out, so I'd use that as your test-run... if it works, try making the others power-of-two dimensions, and calculating the atlas based on relative size...

It'll be tricky and tedious, but if it works, and you want to fix it, I guess it's the only way to go.

Squeek's log listed the problem files' dimensions and they were all non-power-of-two...

The bigportrait is the only one fixed to have compatible dimensions in my Link mod, and that seems to work, so if you haven't tried creating a custom portrait with that template, I'd say it's worth a shot.

The atlas is already figured out, so I'd use that as your test-run... if it works, try making the others power-of-two dimensions, and calculating the atlas based on relative size...

It'll be tricky and tedious, but if it works, and you want to fix it, I guess it's the only way to go.

You deserve a big hug  ^^

I don't have time right now to fix my mods, but now I know how to do it at least.

The problem is now reduced to the fact that all modders would need to do this in order to make the images compatible for everyone. And it has to be done for the portrait and saveslot portrait as well. That's the problem, kinda.

The problem is now reduced to the fact that all modders would need to do this in order to make the images compatible for everyone. And it has to be done for the portrait and saveslot portrait as well. That's the problem, kinda.

The guides should be updated to include this change. Also what tool do I have to use to change the images? And what size should i go for?

The guides should be updated to include this change. Also what tool do I have to use to change the images? And what size should i go for?

You can use The GIMP which is available on all platforms I think. For rescaling you go for the next power of 2. So if you image is 120x104 you will want to go for 128x128 for example. And then u1=104/128 and v1=120/128

You deserve a big hug  ^^

I don't have time right now to fix my mods, but now I know how to do it at least.

I take it that fixed it, then? ^^

If the templates were all updated, it wouldn't be a huge issue - not everyone would go back and fix their existing characters, but at least all future ones would be correct, and that's better than nothing.

Maybe if you bug Ipsquiggle, he'll update those templates, too. ^^;

Although, on the topic of missing portraits... the morgue screen was never fixed - all mod characters show up as a blank space, when it should load the saveslot portrait.

I don't think the guides need to be updated - just the template files. I mean, people post mods broken because of DXT5 compression on non-power-of-two portraits all the time. >.>;

If the templates are updated, I think we'll see a lot less of that, so it's probably a good idea.

I don't think the guides need to be updated - just the template files. I mean, people post mods broken because of DXT5 compression on non-power-of-two portraits all the time. >.>;

If the templates are updated, I think we'll see a lot less of that, so it's probably a good idea.

Well a little note that states to do this until the templates are update wouldn't hurt too :p

Well a little note that states to do this until the templates are update wouldn't hurt too :razz:

I think that would end up CAUSING more problems than solving - I think it's best to either wait for official templates, or have a template pre-made with the atlas set up already.

If someone uploads that, I can link it from my guide, but I think it's a bad idea to start telling first-timers to calculate UV coordinates and put them into an xml atlas.

Don't give the keys to someone who can't drive.

Don't give the keys to someone who can't drive.

No, I meant create a customcharacter template with the same guidelines we currently have but the images are corrected. Then the people will still have just put their images in the red box like it is now. Not explaining anyone how to calulate uv coordinates, that is kept to the pros xD

No, I meant create a customcharacter template with the same guidelines we currently have but the images are corrected. Then the people will still have just put their images in the red box like it is now. Not explaining anyone how to calulate uv coordinates, that is kept to the pros xD

That's what I was advocating, myself. Teo was suggesting that the process be described and added to the guides, which is what I would call giving the keys to those who can't drive. I'd rather not see a million "I followed the guides, but my portraits are all wrong!" threads. ^^;

• Developer

Did making the textures power of two fix it for you?

The problem actually sounds very similar to the 'blocky shader creature' bug which was that the textures were DXT1 instead of DXT5 and not that they non-powers of two.  If it is the dimensions, I can fix the template, but I don't think anyone's actually confirmed that that's the cause :).

Did making the textures power of two fix it for you?

The problem actually sounds very similar to the 'blocky shader creature' bug which was that the textures were DXT1 instead of DXT5 and not that they non-powers of two.  If it is the dimensions, I can fix the template, but I don't think anyone's actually confirmed that that's the cause :-).

Malacath seemed to indicate that using the power-of-two dimensions and DXT5 compression fixed the issue, hence the discussion that followed.

The reason why that fixes it... well... that's quite beyond me, haha.

Archived