Mod Request: Screecher Camera

F3RR1S

"I'm telling your mother."

Anyway haven't read the whole thread but are you gonna keep the surrounding darkness even at daylight?

On the first page you see why we even bothered with the darkness. I think the next step would be to make it not darkness but grayness to create a more foggy look. But how...

Anyway haven't read the whole thread but are you gonna keep the surrounding darkness even at daylight?

That's precisely its purpose, to provide a general cut-off for the view, kind of a fog of war. Infinite view presents issues, as you can see by reading back into the thread. I wrote this as a proof of concept mod to test this idea.

I'm quite sure now, after a quick search, that the different quadratic parts of the image represent "slices" of a whole cube. In that way each triplet of (r, g, b) represents one color in this cube. This would esentially mean that you have complete control over all colors up to a certain precision. The default color cube would thus be a linear scaling from black to white with red green and blue occupying the edges.

Does that make any sense?

I don't know. Shouldn't the number of squares be 6, then, or at least a multiple of 6?

If we could now somehow make the darks less dark and more greyish it would fell more foggy instead of... well... dark. But I think that if I understand correctly how color cubes work it won't be achievable this way since it would essentially make all blacks brighter.

Well, we could always combine this approach with an actual ambient light. But this might make our previous problems just resurface. And I don't think any colour cube can change how black looks.

Also, would you be so nice to show us the sanity color cube? Since sanity has a very drastic effect on the visuals it might give us a better idea of how it works.

This is insane_day_cc:

J1JUkx1.png

I don't know. Shouldn't the number of squares be 6, then, or at least a multiple of 6?

No, it shouldn't. I don't mean that those represent the faces of the cube, but slivers when you cut the cube open. This way the cubes volume is continous in colour change. Let's say the cube has sides of lenght 32 then each image in the cc is a slice of breadth 1. Put all those together and you have a solid cube with color gradients inside its volume. I'm sorry if I can't be very clear, I have no good excuse for it though  xD

Well, we could always combine this approach with an actual ambient light. But this might make our previous problems just resurface. And I don't think any colour cube can change how black looks.

I think all the blacks in the cc (i.e. the top left corner of the leftmost image representing purest black possible) are the colors that are put where the engine calculates blackness. So if you replace all blacks in the cc with pink you will have pink shadows. I would try and confirm my suspicions myself if I could.

This is insane_day_cc:

J1JUkx1.png

And this looks exactly as expected. All the non-reds are ripped off their color thus reducing the world to greyscale(or sepia-like colors) for the exception of red. Thanks for showing me this ^^

No, it shouldn't. I don't mean that those represent the faces of the cube, but slivers when you cut the cube open. This way the cubes volume is continous in colour change. Let's say the cube has sides of lenght 32 then each image in the cc is a slice of breadth 1. Put all those together and you have a solid cube with color gradients inside its volume. I'm sorry if I can't be very clear, I have no good excuse for it though  xD

Oh, I get what you mean. But I don't think it's a linear projection, otherwise a different representation based on faces using 6 squares would suffice (3 for a half of the actual cube and 3 more for a half of an inner cube), since this would uniquely determine a linear projection.

I think Dana's idea that they determine a replacement of colours based on their representation as elements of the unit cube [0, 1]x[0, 1]x[0, 1] makes more sense. Though I'm not entirely convinced that's the proper explanation, since given that the squares are 32x32 (they are, I measured, I'm not just using your example) there should be 32 squares, otherwise we're simply reducing precision for one colour, which doesn't make sense.

Oh, I get what you mean. But I don't think it's a linear projection, otherwise a different representation based on faces using 6 squares would suffice (3 for a half of the actual cube and 3 more for a half of an inner cube), since this would uniquely determine a linear projection.

I think Dana's idea that they determine a replacement of colours based on their representation as elements of the unit cube [0, 1]x[0, 1]x[0, 1] makes more sense. Though I'm not entirely convinced that's the proper explanation, since given that the squares are 32x32 (they are, I measured, I'm not just using your example) there should be 32 squares, otherwise we're simply reducing precision for one colour, which doesn't make sense.

But Dana's explanation is basically the same as mine  :'|

I was just saying 32 because its 32 elements in the cc image. Of course the actual cube would be unit, as all colors are given and taken from 0 to 1 when coding.

And also, I meant that just the default cc is a linear projection, all custom cc's can can be completely unique which is why we need the 32 images to get a decent precision. Starting from my interpretation and looking at the snow_cc the different parts would be along the blue(z) axis thus the maxímum precission in blue would be 255/32=8 Now tell me, can you easily make out this difference when looking at colors varying in blue by that value?

post-245716-0-22925100-1383415512.png

Top left and lower right are original color and the other corners are shifted up and down. I can barely see it in this example. So it might be enough precission.

But Dana's explanation is basically the same as mine  :'|

Not it's not! There's no linear projection involved, only linear (?) interpolation. I may have misunderstood what you meant, though.

I was just saying 32 because its 32 elements in the cc image.

Holy crap, you're right. I should've counted*. I just looked at it and thought "there's no way there's 32 squares there". I have such good estimation skills. :razz:

Now I'm quite certain Dana's interpretation is the correct one, ignore my previous remark. They form a 32x32x32 cube, which using interpolation defines a map from the unit cube (the space of all colours) to itself.

* Or I could've just noted that the image is 1024x32 and 1024/32 = 32. I feel stupid. :(

Here's the identity colour cube (i.e., the colour cube which replaces nothing :razz:).

zPR10jT.png

I think the best way to design a new colour cube is open the identity one in an image editor, such as GIMP or Photoshop, apply colour transformations and use the resulting image.

I'm also attaching it as a zip, since imgur lowers the quality of uploaded images:identity_colourcube.zip

Now I'm quite certain Dana's interpretation is the correct one, ignore my previous remark. They form a 32x32x32 cube, which using interpolation defines a map from the unit cube (the space of all colours) to itself.

Yes, but that's what I meant. It seems though my words are not at their best today...

EDIT: This is the kind of cc that I imagine brightening up the blacks. I made it really quickly so it probably looks awkward though.

post-245716-0-71189900-1383418607_thumb.

EDIT2: I get an error with crash when trying to override the cc

Assert failure 'src != INVALID_RESOURCE_HANDLE' at ..\source\game\components\PostProcessorComponent.cpp(30): Trace follows...

I'm not sure that the cc gets converted properly with the asset tools. The fact that Matts tools can't open the cc's implies that they have a different format as well.

I get an error with crash when trying to override the cc

Assert failure 'src != INVALID_RESOURCE_HANDLE' at ..\source\game\components\PostProcessorComponent.cpp(30): Trace follows...
I'm not sure that the cc gets converted properly with the asset tools. The fact that Matts tools can't open the cc's implies that they have a different format as well.

Try this TEX:

bright_shadows_cc.zip

It's not that they have a different format, but that they're plain RGB. Matt's tools support RGBA, but not RGB :razz:. Klei's TextureConverter.exe does, though, so if there's a problem in conversion it's because the AutoCompiler in the mod tools does not use the correct flags when converting colour cubes: it should be plain RGB without mipmap generation.

The mod hath been made! Sort of!

Don't be so rushed, for now this is just a proof of concept mod to test our ideas. At best I'd call it a first prototype.

I like how the camera is in The Screecher Mod, how you can use the mouse to look around.

Moving with the mouse can be done, of course, but for now I think it's best to focus on the actual camera and how the world looks, only then to deal with controls and other "polish".

Don't be so rushed, for now this is just a proof of concept mod to test our ideas. At best I'd call it a first prototype.

Moving with the mouse can be done, of course, but for now I think it's best to focus on the actual camera and how the world looks, only then to deal with controls and other "polish".

Okay, I changed the beginning post a bit. :)

Also, I like it better without using the mouse to look around.

Try this TEX:

attachicon.gifbright_shadows_cc.zip

It's not that they have a different format, but that they're plain RGB. Matt's tools support RGBA, but not RGB :razz:. Klei's TextureConverter.exe does, though, so if there's a problem in conversion it's because the AutoCompiler in the mod tools does not use the correct flags when converting colour cubes: it should be plain RGB without mipmap generation.

Well, it seems I can't get any custom cc's working. Even copying an original cc and renaming it will yield this error

It won't even work when I put it in the original folder. In that case though the log file manages to have two mor lines though

HttpClientWriteCallback (0x004B59FF, 1, 16, 0x06CFFD98)HttpClientWriteCallback READ 16 (16 total)

which don't look to helpful though.

I must be doing something wrong...

On a side not, this is (kinda) how I imagine a 3D visual representation of the cc

post-245716-0-15150200-1383421587_thumb.

So you have not tried it yet, have you?

Here's your mod with just the cc added.

I had not, because it was supposed to just work! So that's what I did just now, using the colourcube you made (and I compiled into a TEX), and, well... it just worked:

ColourCubeTest.zip

p.s.: Your method wasn't working because tuning_override won't call resolvefilepath().

I had not, because it was supposed to just work! So that's what I did just now, using the colourcube you made (and I compiled into a TEX), and, well... it just worked:

attachicon.gifColourCubeTest.zip

p.s.: Your method wasn't working because tuning_override won't call resolvefilepath().

I deserve a big facepalm...

EDIT: And it looks like you're actually right. It doesn't look like it's changing the blacks.

EDIT2: I return my last statement

post-245716-0-39327400-1383426081_thumb.

Now I just think that changing cc's is an extremely difficult task if you want good results...

EDIT3:I also like how the HUD is not affected by the cc. It makes sense I guess though.

I deserve a big facepalm...

EDIT: And it looks like you're actually right. It doesn't look like it's changing the blacks.

Not that big, since the game is quite inconsistent on where resolvefilepath() is used and where it's not.

But about the blacks, I suspected that being absence of light it wouldn't work.

Now I just think that changing cc's is an extremely difficult task if you want good results...

So we can change black. But well, all this means is that we shouldn't edit them manually, of course. We should map colour palettes.

Here's the identity colour cube inverted:

mhIX6EX.png

Archived