Mod Request: Screecher Camera

F3RR1S

Original Post:

I like how the camera is in The Screecher Mod, how you can use the mouse to look around.

If it hasn't been made yet, could someone please make a mod that has that sort of "Move your mouse to look around" Camera in the normal game, it would be interesting.

EDIT: The mod hath been made! Sort of! It's more of a first prototype, but it is still playable and interesting!

Here's the code:
attachicon.gif ImmersiveView.zip

It's pretty neat, you use the rotate camera left and right buttons to move the camera around. Which I find to be better than using the mouse. Because the mouse is still able to move around normally, you can get things from your backpack and extra slots like normal.

Right now the "fog" is being worked on. It is programmed like darkness, so it looks like it is always night, but it's not to bothersome. It's still being worked on, so it will probably change soon, make it more foggy.

Here is a picture of how it looks:

vkwUX8X.png

Help:

post-245716-0-13854100-1382811751_thumb.

Not so awesome anymore. Of course, in The Screecher it is not a problem since you can't even see half as far, but this makes the game just too ugly. Not to mention that the code is not done yet, you can't even activate stuff, which is quite strange to me since I've only overwritten the followcamera. Anyways, I don't think it's worth it.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2013-10-26 20.21.00.png

Not so awesome anymore. Of course, in The Screecher it is not a problem since you can't even see half as far, but this makes the game just too ugly. Not to mention that the code is not done yet, you can't even activate stuff, which is quite strange to me since I've only overwritten the followcamera. Anyways, I don't think it's worth it.

Aw man.

I wonder why you can interact with things in the screecher but you can't interact in the normal game with the follow camera thing. ._.

And maybe if there was some sort of "fog effect" to block the blackness, it would look better.

Oh well.

If you were able to pull the camera back a little further, so you could see the whole character, it'd be pretty neat!

The draw distance is a problem, though, yes - Don't Starve DOES have fog, though... perhaps you could layer the fog up thick, just shy of the draw distance? Pull a nice Silent Hill trick?

... This really makes me want to make a more realistically-proportioned Link... you could make a really great full-conversion mod for Don't Starve that turns it into an Adventure-RPG like Zelda...

[mind races]

If you were able to pull the camera back a little further, so you could see the whole character, it'd be pretty neat!

The draw distance is a problem, though, yes - Don't Starve DOES have fog, though... perhaps you could layer the fog up thick, just shy of the draw distance? Pull a nice Silent Hill trick?

... This really makes me want to make a more realistically-proportioned Link... you could make a really great full-conversion mod for Don't Starve that turns it into an Adventure-RPG like Zelda...

[mind races]

What fog are you talking about? This is a nice idea, but I can't think of a way to achieve that effect.

It would look better in caves, though. And the activation thing should be fixable.

What fog are you talking about? This is a nice idea, but I can't think of a way to achieve that effect.

It would look better in caves, though. And the activation thing should be fixable.

There's fog in the graveyard-type-areas, right? I don't know how viable that would be, though...

Although, really, it wouldn't be too hard to make a decent wall of fog with Spriter... three or four different levels of opacity... three or four walls being shown at increasing distance... would make things appear to fade into the fog...

Would look really good in winter...

Oh my gosh, I really want to do a snowy, Zelda-ish Adventure-RPG conversion now... somebody stop me thinking. It's dangerous...

I know, it's probably rather easy to fix, but when I saw... that... I decided it was not worth my time. And I'm also not sure what fog Dana is talking about. The only thing I can think of are the vapours on graveyards. But I don't think it's a good idea to put lots of those somewhere, performance wise is what I mean.

Edit:

There's fog in the graveyard-type-areas, right? I don't know how viable that would be, though...

Although, really, it wouldn't be too hard to make a decent wall of fog with Spriter... three or four different levels of opacity... three or four walls being shown at increasing distance... would make things appear to fade into the fog...

Would look really good in winter...

Oh my gosh, I really want to do a snowy, Zelda-ish Adventure-RPG conversion now... somebody stop me thinking. It's dangerous...

So I was thinking right  ^^  Really, go ahead and try making nice fog walls in spriter. I would be willing to try and implement them. Though I'm far from the best coder so reults might not be absolutely optimal.

I don't think graveyard fog would work. It's horizontal with respect to the ground, and quite transparent. Custom fog walls might work, though. It's very straightforward to have entities keep their position relative to another entity, so we could just have a circle of walls (with physics collision disabled) following the player.

If you do decide to do an RPG conversion mod, I'll lend a hand.

So I was thinking right  ^^  Really, go ahead and try making nice fog walls in spriter. I would be willing to try and implement them. Though I'm far from the best coder so reults might not be absolutely optimal.

I'm trying to take it easy... there's been an alarmingly increased frequency of fainting spells after that really big one the other day... and it's really hard for me to focus properly. They're really quite mercilessly draining.

It shouldn't be too intense to try and paint up some fog clouds, though... I'll give it a try, later.

I don't think graveyard fog would work. It's horizontal with respect to the ground, and quite transparent. Custom fog walls might work, though. It's very straightforward to have entities keep their position relative to another entity, so we could just have a circle of walls (with physics collision disabled) following the player.

Oh, goodness... you're only encouraging me. |D

I actually have some ideas... but... I think I should wait until I've at least been able to finish work on the Night Terrors project, before I go starting up a total conversion...

Oh my... this will be interesting, to say the least...

What about the fog you see when zooming out? I would guess it's a hardcoded thing, but maybe it's accessible somehow. And I'm not really sure how to create a fog wall that doesn't look to obstrusive. If it intersects with the ground in any ways then it will look very odd if it moves. But maybe Dana comes up with something good (though she should take it easy  ; )

I don't feel like doing any big mod right now. I would rather finish my own mods that I started ages ago  xD  Though it might even come in handy for one of those. Anyways, you know that I always cry for it if I need help  ; )

Out of curiosity couldn't you take the screecher mod and mod it? Say make the perfection of the character, movement, camera, etc. And implement those elements into don't starve? Im not good with modding or coding and such so its just a wonder that if its possible to do this it could open up a whole new door of modding for ds

Oh, goodness... you're only encouraging me. |D

I actually have some ideas... but... I think I should wait until I've at least been able to finish work on the Night Terrors project, before I go starting up a total conversion...

Oh my... this will be interesting, to say the least...

Just don't forget about U&A. :(

I don't feel like doing any big mod right now. I would rather finish my own mods that I started ages ago  xD  Though it might even come in handy for one of those. Anyways, you know that I always cry for it if I need help  ; )

I'm quite the opposite. I don't feel motivated at all for working in something other than big collaborative mods, my own mods have been quite neglected. I haven't had much modding time lately, but my focus is certainly U&A and projects of similar breadth that may pop up.

I know, it's probably rather easy to fix, but when I saw... that... I decided it was not worth my time. And I'm also not sure what fog Dana is talking about. The only thing I can think of are the vapours on graveyards. But I don't think it's a good idea to put lots of those somewhere, performance wise is what I mean.

Edit:

Fog.zipfog_1.zipfog_2.zipfog_3.zipfog_4.zip

This is a spriter file so it will have to be put together, the fog_# files unziped and put in the art folder below the fog spriter file. But this is a rather large shifting fog  that uses tileable graphics so you should be able with a bit of work to tile each bit of fog. It is the best I can do with a small amount of work not sure if its helpful or not but your welcome to use it.

What about the fog you see when zooming out? I would guess it's a hardcoded thing, but maybe it's accessible somehow. And I'm not really sure how to create a fog wall that doesn't look to obstrusive. If it intersects with the ground in any ways then it will look very odd if it moves. But maybe Dana comes up with something good (though she should take it easy  ; )

I don't know about the fog you see on zoom-out, but it's possible.

My idea would involve several layered walls with progressively lower alpha that should - hopefully - create a soft, gradual fade-out.

Of course, the engine doesn't support animated alpha, so it's going to have to be cheated a bit. The real trick will be making sure the fog looks and animates nice.

Just don't forget about U&A. :(

I'm quite the opposite. I don't feel motivated at all for working in something other than big collaborative mods, my own mods have been quite neglected. I haven't had much modding time lately, but my focus is certainly U&A and projects of similar breadth that may pop up.

Yeah, that's actually one of my biggest concerns with starting to work on another huge mod... I've already completely neglected U & A and Link for a month to focus all my attention on Night Terrors, for the Halloween thing...

I want to finish up with Night Terrors, when I have the capacity to... and from there, I think I could handle spreading my time between three... but I doubt more than three is a very good idea.

A total-conversion adventure-RPG would definitely be a gigantic project... and definitely slow-moving... but it's certainly a very exciting prospect!

I don't know about the fog you see on zoom-out, but it's possible.

My idea would involve several layered walls with progressively lower alpha that should - hopefully - create a soft, gradual fade-out.

Of course, the engine doesn't support animated alpha, so it's going to have to be cheated a bit. The real trick will be making sure the fog looks and animates nice.

The engine supports a constant alpha value for an entire entity (or animation state, if you will). So, while not ideal as far as asset maintenance goes, we could implement layered alpha by splitting the wall into more than one entity.

EDIT: However, setting alpha at the texture level is considerably less GPU intensive than doing that dynamically on the code level. So we should try the first approach whenever possible.

Well if that's not good news for U&A  ^^

This is a spriter file so it will have to be put together, the fog_# files unziped and put in the art folder below the fog spriter file. But this is a rather large shifting fog  that uses tileable graphics so you should be able with a bit of work to tile each bit of fog. It is the best I can do with a small amount of work not sure if its helpful or not but your welcome to use it.

I can see if that's of any use sometime later this week, exams have priority for now though. Though it seems to me, at first glance, that the textures are not tileable which would make for quite an aweful big wall, correct me if I'm wrong there.

The engine supports a constant alpha value for an entire entity (or animation state, if you will). So, while not ideal as far as asset maintenance goes, we could implement layered alpha by splitting the wall into more than one entity.

EDIT: However, setting alpha at the texture level is considerably less GPU intensive than doing that dynamically on the code level. So we should try the first approach whenever possible.

I was going to set the alpha at texture level, yes. I knew that would work. All I'd really have to do is create one set of fog art, and save copies out with varying levels of alpha. =)

attachicon.gifFog.zipattachicon.giffog_1.zipattachicon.giffog_2.zipattachicon.giffog_3.zipattachicon.giffog_4.zip

Just in case no one noticed this guy's post, because it looks interesting.

Archived