A Different Gameplay Experience? (Why I Don't Like Caves)

Sporb

At the end of the day it's also a sandbox game. Having no clear goal besides from the Adventure Mode worlds you have make your own entertainment tokeep things interesting, whatever that may be to you.

Yes, you're right; the game has a lot of sandbox elements. And my own favorite way of entertaining myself with this game is to play it as a survival game. I imagine that in sandbox games you do have goals, even if you make them up yourself? Well, my main goal is to establish a base that allows me to survive indefinitely, or at least to survive as long as possible. That's not my only motivation in the game, but those are my overall goals.

Caves take both of those away from me. As far as I know, caves were not meant to allow you to survive indefinitely. It would be very difficult, not because it is designed to be challenging, but because I would be playing the game in a way that it is not meant to be played. I can't just try to survive as long as possible either, because the surface acts as a permanent safety net. If I don't return to the surface, I will die and be penalized.

The surface allows you to either play to survive or to play to mess around. Caves only allow you to play to mess around. They take away options from the player. That's why I don't enjoy exploring them very much.

You said Don't Starve is a sandbox game. Taking away options is not usually good in a sandbox game, right?

I like most of the content within the caves but I have the same issue with them as you.

Hehe...and how the worm has turned since we sparred in my old "Wtf is the point of caves?" thread :)

This was basically what I was afraid of at the time.  I really had no idea where they were going with caves, and now as the final release looms, it really looks like they didn't know either :\

Hehe...and how the worm has turned since we sparred in my old "Wtf is the point of caves?" thread :-)

This was basically what I was afraid of at the time.  I really had no idea where they were going with caves, and now as the final release looms, it really looks like they didn't know either :\

I'd like to see their developmental process with the Depth Worms and how they responded to gameplay tests.

Archived