[HELP] Spriter and Tutorials?

Spriter is an animation tool.

You could technically create your own character with Spriter and an image editor... but it would be a tremendous amount of work. You would have to create your own animations for every necessary state, and then write the stategraph code to play the right animations at the right time...

Until we can edit an existing animation file, I advise against it.

Check the pinned Tutorials thread, and you'll find a video by myself demonstrating how Spriter is used. It should give you an idea of the work involved.

It is not a matter of trying, Spriter is used for something else (animations). If you did a whole new character animation set, you'd still need to set up the Lua for a custom character. You cannot move forward just using Spriter.

This isn't my first rodeo when making mods for the game.

The question is simply about, will Spriter allow us to completely skip the reskinning process. @TheDanaAddams answered the question, I simply just need to create the new animation sets.

I do not want to simply reskin because the character mod I am creating needs completely new animations, I was just trying to make sure the game would recognize the new animations for characters, maybe this should be clarified by @Cheerio.

"Simply" ... "new animation sets" ...
Oh, gollyolly... you're going to be in for a surprise...

I am really sorry about my voice... I'm just a really quiet girl... I was also sick, and recording with a very bad microphone...
I filtered it as best I could to make it as audible as possible... sorry... I just... don't talk very well... it's a problem... sorry...

"Simply" ... "new animation sets" ...

Oh, gollyolly... you're going to be in for a surprise...

I am really sorry about my voice... I'm just a really quiet girl... I was also sick, and recording with a very bad microphone...

I filtered it as best I could to make it as audible as possible... sorry... I just... don't talk very well... it's a problem... sorry...

No it wasn't bad and I've been drawing and using animation for a few months so it's not completely new to me.

I have a degree in it, and spent years non-stop, working myself to the bone, never taking a break - I worked through the lunch breaks instead of eating... I regularly pulled 12-hour days at college, then headed home to work some more... then worked all weekend... so I got a lot of practice... and I still only consider myself a "fairly decent" animator...

Take my word for it... good animation is not a simple thing - creating a whole set of animations from scratch for a complex character is not going to be easy - I'm just warning you...

Good luck... you'll need it...

• Developer

This isn't my first rodeo when making mods for the game.

The question is simply about, will Spriter allow us to completely skip the reskinning process. @TheDanaAddams answered the question, I simply just need to create the new animation sets.

I do not want to simply reskin because the character mod I am creating needs completely new animations, I was just trying to make sure the game would recognize the new animations for characters, maybe this should be clarified by @Cheerio.

Hooking up a new character with new animations as a mod using Spriter should all be supported but you will be the trail blazer as noone's tried it yet.  If you come across any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Hooking up a new character with new animations as a mod using Spriter should all be supported but you will be the trail blazer as noone's tried it yet.  If you come across any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

I received this error after trying to create an idle animation. I've created a walk_loop, as well as a few other temp animations, but it just now started throwing this error.

post-245691-0-75229600-1380395876_thumb.

Any thoughts @Cheerio ? The following files are there in case you need to look at them. blair.zip is what was produced by the error, blair_exported_folder is the artwork and .scml file.

EDIT: I got the error fixed, but I have no reason what caused the error in the first place. I created all the images exactly the same at the exact same time. I removed the ears and it seems to work now.

blair.zip

blair_exported_folder.zip

• Developer

I received this error after trying to create an idle animation. I've created a walk_loop, as well as a few other temp animations, but it just now started throwing this error.

attachicon.giferror.png

Any thoughts @Cheerio ? The following files are there in case you need to look at them. blair.zip is what was produced by the error, blair_exported_folder is the artwork and .scml file.

EDIT: I got the error fixed, but I have no reason what caused the error in the first place. I created all the images exactly the same at the exact same time. I removed the ears and it seems to work now.

Hmm.  I haven't seen that one before.  Let me take a look.

After fixing the error, I was able to actually get it to show up as a monster, but not as an actual character. I am still working on it however, but I believe I need to set up the state graph correctly in order for it to show the idle.

• Developer

attachicon.giferror.png

I figured it out.  Looks like a bug in the pipeline when trying to build an animation with 0 keyframes.  It was breaking trying to build the 'rig_sleeping' animation.  I'll get that fixed next week so it doesn't happen again.  

Also I really like the walk loop :).

I figured it out.  Looks like a bug in the pipeline when trying to build an animation with 0 keyframes.  It was breaking trying to build the 'rig_sleeping' animation.  I'll get that fixed next week so it doesn't happen again.  

Also I really like the walk loop :-).

Thanks.

I worked on the walk animation a lot, trying to make it look like you are actually walking. I need to work on the Up and Down walk now that I have the left and right one working. I also really like how my new run animation came out, instead of the hat flying off I made it fly at its tail and the tail bats it back onto the head...its adorable.

EDIT: @Cheerio, custom animations are not rotating correctly. I downloaded the tutorial and noticed that it runs backwards instead of rotating or flipping the image horizontally.

Archived