A few suggestions!

Greetings!

In this thread of mine, I plan to pop a few things out for discussion, things that have grabbed my attention, ask some questions, and also try to suggest some tweaks or even new features!

1) Trees.

I'll start off with the withered trees.

I don't know if it's just me, but how do the trees even wither? Is it a random chance?

Even if it is, I don't think it should drop a pine cone only. Perhaps a couple of twigs, aswell? When you use a shovel to dig it out, too, it seems quite silly to be able to fetch a full wooden log out of a pile of meager sticks, does it not? :D

A twig or two would be a better idea, to my mind.

Next thing, the pine cones.

Whenever I'm lacking wood for the night, I start fearing for my character's safety, caused by my own inattentiveness. However, near-always I notice I've got a few pine cones laying around in my inventory, instantly abolishing the fear that should arise in me in such a moment.

Needless to say, it's not too pleasing. Perhaps add a quick grow-timer for the trees, but not quick enough to survive without being consumed by darkness? :D Player's fault for not stacking up on wood, either way. :wink:

And, the pine-grown trees. Actually, the lowest tier of trees. They can be found naturally as well. My bad.

They drop one log only, which seems logical, but after digging it out, perhaps a log is too much? Replace with twigs, maybe, or a chance to spawn a rabbit hole!? (Kind of a silly idea. :D)

2) Forest fires.

I have a confession to make. I'm a pyromaniac, and I used the last suggestion to sort of mask that. (Pulling your leg here!)

Now, we all know that running around with a torch in a forest is dangerous. You could slam into a tree, lose an eye to a hungry bird, or who-knows-what! I don't think forest fires should be defenestrated like that, constricted to a meaningless area of personal use, starting forest fires whenever you need charcoal, not whenever the game just feels like trolling you!

3) Mob ideas.

Most of the ideas I had were already expressed by the friendly community on here, and props to you guys for that!

I'm a big fan, so I decided to download the wallpaper. While scanning through the thrilling picture with a grin, something teased my eye...

Was that a... bear? What a wonderful idea! Something like a biome could be constructed, in deeper forests, where bears could be located! That's right, bears.

During the day, they could be lazing about, extending a paw to scratch you whenever you come near or prove hostile, but during the night, they could turn into predators!

Makes for an interesting gamble whenever you're running away from spiders and/or hounds, and decide to venture into a deep wood - the bear could either lock its sights on you, or decide to chase after the trespassers that look more threatening first, leaving you time to escape!

That's all I have for now, feel free to throw more suggestions into the pile!

1) Trees.

I'll start off with the withered trees.

I don't know if it's just me, but how do the trees even wither? Is it a random chance?

Trees wither as part of their life cycle. Basically it's small tree, medium tree, large tree, withered tree, repeat.

Even if it is, I don't think it should drop a pine cone only.

Why not? It's a rotted and withered husk of a tree... you shouldn't have bothered knocking it down. Unless you want to blame it on the pig men, they'll do that. Silly pigs... wasting time on dead trees. Anyway if you cut down any tree you get 1-2 pine cones depending on its age.

Perhaps a couple of twigs, aswell?

You're not alone, someone else suggested this. Me? I couldn't really care... I mean saplings give me all the sticks I need.

When you use a shovel to dig it out, too, it seems quite silly to be able to fetch a full wooden log out of a pile of meager sticks, does it not?

You're technically digging up the stump.

Next thing, the pine cones.

Whenever I'm lacking wood for the night, I start fearing for my character's safety, caused by my own inattentiveness. However, near-always I notice I've got a few pine cones laying around in my inventory, instantly abolishing the fear that should arise in me in such a moment.

Well if you want to get technical you can also burn grass, manure, reeds, sticks, charcoal, wooden boards... and logs of course. Maybe paper too, never tried. Lots of things are flammable, it's just how long they last that's important.

Perhaps add a quick grow-timer for the trees, but not quick enough to survive without being consumed by darkness? :D Player's fault for not stacking up on wood, either way.

I'm sorry... what are you suggesting? Is it for a timer so after you plant a tree it won't appear as a small tree right away? For me I suggested a new tier of growth, namely a seedling, so the initially planted tree cannot be chopped down right away and doesn't block pathfinding.

They drop one log only, which seems logical, but after digging it out, perhaps a log is too much? Replace with twigs, maybe, or a chance to spawn a rabbit hole!? (Kind of a silly idea. :D)

A rabbit hole? Very silly! Shame on you! :p

I think it's fine as it is.

2) Forest fires.

I have a confession to make. I'm a pyromaniac, and I used the last suggestion to sort of mask that. (Pulling your leg here!)

Okay, I won't call the police then...

Now, we all know that running around with a torch in a forest is dangerous. You could slam into a tree, lose an eye to a hungry bird, or who-knows-what! I don't think forest fires should be defenestrated like that, constricted to a meaningless area of personal use, starting forest fires whenever you need charcoal, not whenever the game just feels like trolling you!

Are you agruing that it should be easier to start forest fires...? I'm sort of for that idea. The current method, to select the torch and then use it to select a tree seems a bit... odd... simply having a torch equipped and selecting a tree should allow you to light it on fire. Of course I'm sure this was changed to prevent accidental forest fires while running through a forect by click-moving. But still... accidents should happen.

3) Mob ideas.

Was that a... bear? What a wonderful idea! Something like a biome could be constructed, in deeper forests, where bears could be located! That's right, bears.

Long story short, other people also like the idea of bears, me included. Bears should be added to the game.

During the day, they could be lazing about, extending a paw to scratch you whenever you come near or prove hostile, but during the night, they could turn into predators!

Actually I suggested the opposite. I wanted bears to wander the forest areas during the day and becoming hostile when approached (small aggro circle, say, index finger distance from a bear) and then they would chase/attack you mercilessly. But during the night I suggested they sleep like the beefalo.

Another suggestion was to have bears hunt fish in ponds, blocking you from that pond (unless you wanted to deal with the bear), have them raid beehives... both the wild variety and yours, and lastly eat berries from bushes. Not all of them, like the Gobbler, but rather 3-5 bushes before filling its tummy and wandering off.

Makes for an interesting gamble whenever you're running away from spiders and/or hounds, and decide to venture into a deep wood - the bear could either lock its sights on you, or decide to chase after the trespassers that look more threatening first, leaving you time to escape!

Anything is possible here. I'm sure bears on the islands would hate giant spiders and hounds, as they're so hostile. That or spiders may run in fear of a bear, like the way they react to fires.