Linux Graphics Fullscreen Bug

xzor

Running the steam linux version, I get a bug only in fullscreen mode where the textures swap around on objects. I've tried to take screenshots or somehow capture this when it's happening. It occurs with intractable objects drawn on screen, and anything that animates. This includes menus, vents, character boxes, et cetera. None of the other options (bloom, blur etc) affect the issue. This only occurs when fullscreen is set to 1.

System stats:http://pastebin.com/sHYYWc7d

I gave up trying to take an in-game or system screenshot, and finally broke out the camera. Apologies for the poor quality. 

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Run the game like this once:

./ninja-bin -enablelog

...and then look at the file ~/.klei/ninja/log/rendering.log - you should find a section that looks similar to this:

[15:03.33] (139654320035712) 3 mojoshader profiles:[15:03.33] (139654320035712) 0: "glsl120"[15:03.33] (139654320035712) 1: "glsl"[15:03.33] (139654320035712) 2: "arb1"[15:03.33] (139654320035712) best profile: glsl120

It lists the profiles that are compatible with your graphics card, and then tells you which one it auto-selected.

If it lists multiple alternatives for you as well, try each of them in turn by starting the game like:

./ninja-bin -mojo "glsl120"

(...with the profile name in question substituted)

If none of them work correctly, upload the entire ~/.klei/ninja/log/rendering.log file as it may help the developers figure out what's going on.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I'm using the steam version. Unfortunately it complains that steam isn't running, even though it is. I tried entering the arguments in the 'set launch options' option in steam, but there doesn't seem to be a result

$ ./ninja-bin32 -enablelogdlopen failed trying to load:/home/xzor/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so with error:libtier0_s.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /home/xzor/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steam client.dll.Segmentation fault

additionally I tried searching for the log file, after launching with the argument passed though steam...

$find $HOME -name 'rendering.log'/home/xzor/.klei/shank2/rendering.log/home/xzor/.local/share/Shank/rendering.logfind: `/home/xzor/.Trash-0': Permission denied

I don't experience this issue with shank or shank2, nor with MotN in wine. Here's the relevent section in the shank2 log:

[21:54.31] (0xf66f0740) 0: "glsl120"[21:54.31] (0xf66f0740) 1: "glsl"[21:54.31] (0xf66f0740) 2: "arb1"[21:54.31] (0xf66f0740) best profile: glsl120

I tried your suggestion with the -mojo argument, with no meaningful result. I bought the humble bundle, and am downloading the non-drm binary now. I'll edit if I get anything useful out of it.

OK: I played through the first few levels of the non-drm binary from the Humble Bundle. I only saw this issue momentarily when breaking a light with the newly acquired darts, which makes me think that it's more prevalent in the later levels, possibly only gamemode +. It also occurred when hitting <Tab> for the map.

game.log: http://pastebin.com/AHXmxs5i

aggregate.log: http://pastebin.com/7W49kS6y

rendering.log:  http://pastebin.com/afBK4HDW

Okay, I'll pass the information onto the programmers so they can look into it.

Are you experiencing similar issues in any other games?

I own and tested every other Klei title (you guys are awesome) As of last night, I would have said no. I'm using the AMD Catalyst 13.4 drivers, and I'm starting to think this is an AMD bug. I've been using this driver version for close to 6 months, with no issues, however last night of all the obscure things, I tried mucking about trying to get deus ex human revolution within steam to work in wine. I was experiencing something sort of close to the same issue, where identifiable textures were rotating on the wrong object. I switched to windowed mode, and the issue disappeared. I recompiled the driver to make sure everything was kosher,  and there's no change with MotN or deus ex.

Admittedly I know very little of OpenGL and the gpu pipeline on linux, but my gut feeling is that they changed things between 4.2 (the limit of my card) and 4.3 regarding the interpretation of textures. My gut is telling me this is a buffer overflow somewhere in the texture buffer. It doesn't happen until I play for awhile. Usually within 5-10 minutes. Hitting <tab> repeatably during gameplay makes it occur pretty reliably. Levels with more objects causes the issue to appear faster....the level "A change in course" with new game plus enabled causes it to happen almost instantly.

With today's update, I played for around 10 minutes, and was unable to reproduce this bug. It seems to be resolved. Thanks! You rock. :grin:

Nevermind, it still occurs after exiting and then returning to the game, and pressing <Tab>.

Archived