Rocks: scatter across ground; Also, Firestarters

I find it a bit odd that, while flint is scattered across the islands, there are no small rocks of any kind. Isn't that peculiar?

I also find it strange that Wilson can light things whenever he wishes. How is he managing to start fires - usually one of the hardest survival tasks?

So, my suggestions: scatter a low level of small rocks across the islands, the same way flint is scattered, and then require more stone in crafting recipes (or perhaps high-level recipes for things like stone walls require lots of stone); require a crafted object (flint + rock) to make fire, and have it slowly erode with use. -1% per fire started, maybe?

I find it a bit odd that, while flint is scattered across the islands, there are no small rocks of any kind. Isn't that peculiar?

Yes... and no. One of the key reasons flint is so accessible is because it's essential to our 3 base tools (axe, pick, shovel), and without the pick you wouldn't be able to mine boulders for more flint or gold (other sources of gold aside).

I also find it strange that Wilson can light things whenever he wishes. How is he managing to start fires - usually one of the hardest survival tasks?

With... flint? :)

So, my suggestions: scatter a low level of small rocks across the islands, the same way flint is scattered, and then require more stone in crafting recipes (or perhaps high-level recipes for things like stone walls require lots of stone); require a crafted object (flint + rock) to make fire, and have it slowly erode with use. -1% per fire started, maybe?

Using flint and steel would get the best results, but just using flint with flint should work just fine. I'm sure the reason why this isn't require is because:

1) It would be another item/tool that would take up a spot in your inventory forever (after all, if you cannot start fires you are is serious trouble).

2) The current system uses this simplification for improved gameplay. IMHO, reality doesn't always make for a fun game, and while I enjoy realism I don't always need everything make perfect sense. We know there's flint on the islands, we could assume that's how the fires are started.

I can't say your idea is bad, because it's grounded in fact and I enjoy adding realism to the game. However in this case I would let is slide so gameplay isn't impacted. Again, my inventory is usually packed with food, resources, and tools and I just don't have room for extra essentials (because who knows what new inventions are coming down the pipe...?).

He is lighting them using tiny sticks, grass and logs to start fires. So it is realistic. I've lit a fire in real life that way but unlike wilson i'm not afraid of the dark so i don't die without them. As far as fueling the fire the realism does tend to drop off a tiny bit. Not a bad idea with the rocks scattered.

I do have to agree that we don't need another item slot taken be flint and steel. :)

unlike wilson i'm not afraid of the dark so i don't die without them.

Fear of the dark doesn't kill you... it's the Grue. If you play around in the darkness just outside the light of your camp fire enough you'll see the comments your character makes about... it.

Well, I only just discovered fires near the end of my second attempt (because I'm not stupid enough to put a fire near something flammable), but I think how the system is works well. And as for rocks, I had half a chest full of them. They're not rare at the moment, so there's no need to make them more common unless they add more recipes that need rocks.