The sickness bar proposition

Hi 8-)

So my Proposition is that we have a sickness bar

but we need seasons for the sickness bar to work better

so heres my idea

The sickness bar tells you how healthy you are the lower the worse at the begining it wont be much except maybe a cough here or there or a sneeze

But if it gets to high you might now be able to move far you wont be able to cut wood only collect grass

There are a few ways to cure it

First you could create medicine from 10 flowers and 20 grass

second thing is you could sit by a fire and the bar would go lower

Last thing would be wearing a heavy duty coat and you could do everyrhing like before but you are slower

Two new items

medicene from 10 flowers and 20 grass

Heavy coat: made from 40 grass and 5 wood

and A character Idea to go with it

name: Doctor Woran

look: hair split in the middle going to oppisite Directions Dark brown hair black eyes

Special ability: health bar is alot bigger By 100 and he only needs 5 flowers and 10 grass to make medicine

Thank you

In the seasons topic i proposed something similar to this, but it was a temperature bar that can either be too high, or too low, and basically if you were not near a decent fire in the winter you would obviously turn into a block of ice and die, and in a desert, if you are dehydrated/working too hard you may die from overheating. And i came up with the coat already but mine was made with 2 rope and 40 beefalo fur which increases your temperature but makes it easier to overheat in the summer. This would also add a hydration bar aswell as a heat bar.

In the seasons topic i proposed something similar to this, but it was a temperature bar that can either be too high, or too low, and basically if you were not near a decent fire in the winter you would obviously turn into a block of ice and die, and in a desert, if you are dehydrated/working too hard you may die from overheating. And i came up with the coat already but mine was made with 2 rope and 40 beefalo fur which increases your temperature but makes it easier to overheat in the summer. This would also add a hydration bar aswell as a heat bar.

Starting to sound like DayZ, not a bad thing. Just saying.

Starting to sound like DayZ, not a bad thing. Just saying.

That IS a bad thing...

People are easily relating the term 'survival' with 'realism'...

I see this a ton on DayZ, WarZ, and several games that had forums and people were whining left and right about needing a bladder system...

Why so many 'sims' topics? Probably because people needed a 'escape' from their reality, but with another reality that isn't so much different and is just as annoying?

Yes I get that people with FPS game topics wants 'realism' in their FPS, but they should not to the point of 'retrieving bullets from own flesh' kind of thing or 'sawing off your arm after being bitten' thing...

Some people find fun in realism, but not everyone.

But lets face it, realism leads to repetition and repetition leads to boredom.

Edited by dra6o0n

I just meant those all sounded identical to systems in DayZ, it's not a coincidence that the game found success it's an amazing survival horror FPS. Just having similar systems does not necessarily pave the way for what you are saying. The reason people want ultra realism in DayZ is due to the Uncanny Valley.

If something claims realism to be enjoyable it must be on one side of the valley many players don't recognize this and so they tend to push for more and more ultra-realism, when a game crosses to the very realistic side, while not understanding the base game would not support it.

Luckily due to it's whimsical and cartoony nature Don't Starve should be perceived on the low realism side of the valley and therefore be exempt from this typical reaction.

PS: The Uncanny Valley is indeed based in robotics but is very easily linked into the gaming world as well.

This is really interesting when you think about only being able to wear one outfit at a time o.o Makes your choices more important.

Do you go for safety, and wear a logsuit? Do you go for more inventory space, and wear a backpack? Or do you go for health, and wear a knitted sweater?

What if there were a bunch of clothes like this? Like... I dunno, this is from the top of my head. But something like a camo outfit that allows you to better sneak around critters and monsters? A dapper suit that lets you keep followers around longer, but makes your tool use slower (because you're trying to keep the suit clean)

Eh, those seem less like meaningful tradeoffs than the heavy coat. But in any case, having a sickness bar is interesting, but having more mechanics built around the sickness bar, things that could conflict with other goals, could be really, really interesting o.o