Jump to content

I have a theory about the name of the shadow entity


Recommended Posts

So I was looking up the opposite of the word alter on wordhippo and saw that stay constant is a is an antonym for alter so my theory is what if the constant is the shadow entity and constant is it’s literal name like alter is the moon, so something planetary makes sense

  • Like 4
  • Sanity 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dr.Webber said:

So I was looking up the opposite of the word alter on wordhippo and saw that stay constant is a is an antonym for alter so my theory is what if the constant is the shadow entity and constant is it’s literal name like alter is the moon, so something planetary makes sense

Shadows and constant aren't the same. As far as we know they came from the gateway the ancients built. I'm guessing the ancients switched to worshipping the shadows and abandoned their old god Alter at some point.

Edited by BalkanCockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now hang on. You might be onto something.
it's been theorized before that the "Constant" is like, Alter. a shell, keeping the entity inside of it. Alter is the same, it's an entity inside of a shell.
And what's interesting about Alter and the other is that they act the exact same but polar opposites of one another. So it being "Alter" = To change. and "Constant" = "unchanging" makes too much sense for it to NOT be it. The name Constant was always just taken as acceptance that it was just named The Constant but no real reason as to why. THIS is why, if it's true.

And while you can debate whether or not They're in a different dimension altogether there is absolutely evidence that something is down deep beneath the ground as that is where every shadow via the shadow rifts (including the fissures) are coming from, every survivor treats the rifts as just a giant hole into nothingness, dreadstone growing from the depths below. Fuelweaver makes it known that the world is frayed and torn, we're ripping apart the seams. He means specifically this world, the constant, literally tearing itself apart, cracking open to the core like alter cracking itself open.

It begs the question. Why do they need to come out of the gateway. Well, i think the constant is much, much older than we realize. been growing into its own ecosystem Maxwell being part of that process. and with time being unable to get out on its own. That's why it needs a poor sod stupid enough to help them. the "shell" has gotten too thick, or either they're weakened by time or by confrontation with Alter long ago. The ancients, Maxwell, Charlie in favor of knowledge and powers unimaginable. The ancients tried to tame this power for their own benefits and failed because of the fuelweaver's arrogance and overused the power. Maxwell kept the throne to himself for his own ego and power and was punished being forever bound to the throne,  Charlie is the only one who is now managing them to escape for good this time. A loyal servant.



 

Edited by PunkShark
  • Like 5
  • Sanity 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PunkShark said:

Now hang on. You might be onto something.
it's been theorized before that the "Constant" is like, Alter. a shell, keeping the entity inside of it. Alter is the same, it's an entity inside of a shell.
And what's interesting about Alter and the other is that they act the exact same but polar opposites of one another. So it being "Alter" = To change. and "Constant" = "unchanging" makes too much sense for it to NOT be it. The name Constant was always just taken as acceptance that it was just named The Constant but no real reason as to why. THIS is why, if it's true.

And while you can debate whether or not They're in a different dimension altogether there is absolutely evidence that something is down deep beneath the ground as that is where every shadow via the shadow rifts (including the fissures) are coming from, every survivor treats the rifts as just a giant hole into nothingness, dreadstone growing from the depths below. Fuelweaver makes it known that the world is frayed and torn, we're ripping apart the seams. He means specifically this world, the constant, literally tearing itself apart, cracking open to the core like alter cracking itself open.

It begs the question. Why do they need to come out of the gateway. Well, i think the constant is much, much older than we realize. been growing into its own ecosystem Maxwell being part of that process. and with time being unable to get out on its own. That's why it needs a poor sod stupid enough to help them. the "shell" has gotten too thick, or either they're weakened by time or by confrontation with Alter long ago. The ancients, Maxwell, Charlie in favor of knowledge and powers unimaginable. The ancients tried to tame this power for their own benefits and failed because of the fuelweaver's arrogance and overused the power. Maxwell kept the throne to himself for his own ego and power and was punished being forever bound to the throne,  Charlie is the only one who is now managing them to escape for good this time. A loyal servant.



 

My theory, why they need to use the portal as the entity inside is like the core of the planet, and like you can get too close to the core of a plane or you burn and die

Also, have you ever lost the parallel in between the shadow entity vs alter And the goddess of cancer versus the goddess of everything else

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, PunkShark said:

Now hang on. You might be onto something.
it's been theorized before that the "Constant" is like, Alter. a shell, keeping the entity inside of it. Alter is the same, it's an entity inside of a shell.
And what's interesting about Alter and the other is that they act the exact same but polar opposites of one another. So it being "Alter" = To change. and "Constant" = "unchanging" makes too much sense for it to NOT be it. The name Constant was always just taken as acceptance that it was just named The Constant but no real reason as to why. THIS is why, if it's true.

And while you can debate whether or not They're in a different dimension altogether there is absolutely evidence that something is down deep beneath the ground as that is where every shadow via the shadow rifts (including the fissures) are coming from, every survivor treats the rifts as just a giant hole into nothingness, dreadstone growing from the depths below. Fuelweaver makes it known that the world is frayed and torn, we're ripping apart the seams. He means specifically this world, the constant, literally tearing itself apart, cracking open to the core like alter cracking itself open.

It begs the question. Why do they need to come out of the gateway. Well, i think the constant is much, much older than we realize. been growing into its own ecosystem Maxwell being part of that process. and with time being unable to get out on its own. That's why it needs a poor sod stupid enough to help them. the "shell" has gotten too thick, or either they're weakened by time or by confrontation with Alter long ago. The ancients, Maxwell, Charlie in favor of knowledge and powers unimaginable. The ancients tried to tame this power for their own benefits and failed because of the fuelweaver's arrogance and overused the power. Maxwell kept the throne to himself for his own ego and power and was punished being forever bound to the throne,  Charlie is the only one who is now managing them to escape for good this time. A loyal servant.



 

I absolutely agree, I feel it's a hint to Max's line 'Blah blah, just the dust and Them'. The one 'constant' thing in the world is Them. Hint hint :p

Wonder what Charlie promised by promising to 'repair' the mirror? Maybe the images on the murals are quite literal when it shows the shadow energy very close to the white 'lunar' energy - inb4 the 'Constant' and 'Altar' merge into a little babby anime god.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The flaws with this theory:

1. Shadow magic, power, and creatures weren't in the constant until ancients made the gateway and let them in and abused shadow eye gods power, then got corrupted themselves.

2. Shadow power changes and corrupts things too (Beardlord, splumonkey, broken clockworks etc.)  so shadows being the constant as a theme doesn't make sense because they alter the stuff they corrupt as much Alter does.

3. The Shadow eye god which is supposed to be the polar opposite and enemy of Alter doesn't even inhabit The Constant as of right now. The Cinematic trailer for terrors below literally shows Charlie trying to bring it to The Constant from the gateway but then it refuses and dissapears for some reason. This debunks the theory that surface of The Constant is the shell of the shadow eye god entity.

 

The things that could give merit to this theory:

1. Constant and Alter being enemies and their names being antonyms (assuming the theory is right).

2. Fissures and shadow rifts coming from deep underground.

3. Both of "them" being celestial bodies (assuming the theory is right).

Edited by BalkanCockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

3. Both of "them" being celestial bodies (assuming the theory is right).

I feel like Alter is the more celestial one here; I think the term "eldritch" fits shadow "Them" better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

I feel like Alter is the more celestial one here; I think the term "eldritch" fits shadow "Them" better. 

Celestial body as in planet, star, moon because the theory makes the shadow entity a planet.

Edited by BalkanCockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Celestial body as in planet, star, moon because the theory makes the shadow entity a planet.

Sounds pretty flawed, but to each their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

Sounds pretty flawed, but to each their own.

 

On 4/4/2024 at 2:08 AM, Dr.Webber said:

so my theory is what if the constant is the shadow entity and constant is it’s literal name like alter is the moon, so something planetary makes sense

 

On 4/4/2024 at 2:08 AM, Dr.Webber said:

something planetary

If shadow=Constant=planet

And planet=Celestial body

Then Shadow=Celestial body

Do i really have to explain my correct use of words.

Spoiler

No, but i did anyways.

Screenshot_20240405_133600_Google.jpg

Edited by BalkanCockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

 

 

If shadow=Constant=planet

And planet=Celestial body

Then Shadow=Celestial body

Do i really have to explain my correct use of words.

  Reveal hidden contents

No, but i did anyways.

Screenshot_20240405_133600_Google.jpg

You don't have to explain anything; you're not the one with the flawed theory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

 

The flaws with this theory:

1. Shadow magic, power, and creatures weren't in the constant until ancients made the gateway and let them in and abused shadow eye gods power, then got corrupted themselves.

2. Shadow power changes and corrupts things too (Beardlord, splumonkey, broken clockworks etc.)  so shadows being the constant as a theme doesn't make sense because they alter the stuff they corrupt as much Alter does.

3. The Shadow eye god which is supposed to be the polar opposite and enemy of Alter doesn't even inhabit The Constant as of right now. The Cinematic trailer for terrors below literally shows Charlie trying to bring it to The Constant from the gateway but then it refuses and dissapears for some reason. This debunks the theory that surface of The Constant is the shell of the shadow eye god entity.

 

 

 

The first 2 are pretty similar so I’m going to answer them as one There’s nothing saying that the magical was constant until the portal was opened. That ancients didn’t harness it yet and for all we know Bunny men/beardlords and  splumonkeys/shadow splumonkeys could just be how species work and broken clockworks I just  machinery breaking and was technology brought down from the surface

also, the corruption of the ancients into the shadow creatures was about keeping the fact they’re alive constant rather than letting them succumb to the naturally ever changing processes of life and death in this theory

In the portal could easily just be a way that the core of a planet uses to communicate with its followers, without burning them to crisp due to being the core of the planet

Edited by Dr.Webber
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dr.Webber said:

for all we know Bunny men/beardlords and  splumonkeys/shadow splumonkeys could just be how species work

When splumonkeys transform you see Shadows enter their body. For beardlords you can transform them with Maxwells shadow sneak which ahem ahem alters them. Broken clockworks drop nightmare fuel and have fuel goop all over them. Also they are considered shadow aligned which means they are altered from their base form. 

 

20 minutes ago, Dr.Webber said:

There’s nothing saying that the magical was constant until the portal was opened.

Well there was moon magic and rabbit magic but the murals show shadow magic coming from the gateway. So yeah, no shadow magic until gateway.

 

20 minutes ago, Dr.Webber said:

also, the corruption of the ancients into the shadow creatures was about keeping their the fact they’re alive constant in this theory

In the portal could easily just be a way that the core of a planet uses to communicate with its followers, without burning them to crisp due to being the core of the planet

They are alive as insanity creatures.

Well, this theory is a giant stretch and doesn't have any evidence apart from sounding cool. Ofc i'm not trying to kill the fun but i'm just saying it where's the evidence beyond "it could be this".

There's evidence that says shadows arrived from the gateway it's in the murals. There's no evidence that says shadow god is the planet but can only communicate through the gateway.

Also Charlie is trying to bring shadow god back. The evidence is the a little drama stage play and terrors below cinematic. Why would she try to bring whats already on the planet back?

Edited by BalkanCockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Well there was moon magic and rabbit magic but the murals show shadow magic coming from the gateway. So yeah, no shadow magic until gateway.

Rabbit magic?

also, they’re shadow fishers in the shadow roof, enter from the ground, rather than being propelled in the air. You very well could be right, but there is evidence to suggest that just because the shadow magic spewed from the portal does it mean it was the first incense of shadow magic in the constant like I said in my comments, what if the portal is just way that the shadow entity can communicate without burning whoever they’re talking to due to being the core of the planet although I do think the portal does make the  shadow entity more powerful, so you very well could be right, but there is evidence to the country as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

So yeah, no shadow magic until gateway.

Gateway require shadow energy to work, and if the first strand of nightmare fuel came into the world through it, they would be caught in the unsolvable paradox of locking the key in the box.

Quote

Examine ancient key

Winona: "Some sort of old power source."

WX-78: "FOR ACTIVATING, NOT UNLOCKING"

 

Examine charge gateway

Maxwell: "It is feeding off the dark energy."

Woodie: "It's soaking up energy, hey?"

Wigfird: "Soon it will open the path!"

 

Edited by Cassielu
  • Sanity 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

The flaws with this theory:

1. Shadow magic, power, and creatures weren't in the constant until ancients made the gateway and let them in and abused shadow eye gods power, then got corrupted themselves.

2. Shadow power changes and corrupts things too (Beardlord, splumonkey, broken clockworks etc.)  so shadows being the constant as a theme doesn't make sense because they alter the stuff they corrupt as much Alter does.

3. The Shadow eye god which is supposed to be the polar opposite and enemy of Alter doesn't even inhabit The Constant as of right now. The Cinematic trailer for terrors below literally shows Charlie trying to bring it to The Constant from the gateway but then it refuses and dissapears for some reason. This debunks the theory that surface of The Constant is the shell of the shadow eye god entity.

The murals depict according to the survivors a shadow or shadowy substance overtaking their civillization. This was before they had knowledge of the fuel meaning the shadow magic has existed before then in the Constant. This was their discovery of the fuel and the shadows, the enviable power they got, what gave them a higher understanding of knowledge and granted them a fruitful life they had longed for. The gateway is built by the ancients, at first to probably get Them out as they've always wanted, but the ancients being greedy or arrogant has kept Them trapped for their own needs. (Similarly to Maxwell)

The things corrupted in the ruins are corrupted due to being close to the ruins. The ruins is an unstable power machine the ancients used for their civillization, Gateway being the core. But also the closest location to where They have an influence. Like Alter, anywhere Alter's moon pieces lands creates a place where Alter can see, change and communicate due to the enlightnenment and gestalts.

A thing to mind about the FW's quotes is that he also refers the Constant as "his" world, as Maxwell does. The fuel can do it all. it can create beyond your wildest imagination. So regarding rabbits for example it's possible the FW has created the rabbits himself, which is why they're shadows when you're low on sanity. They did exist in their time after all.

We had no clue of Alter's existence and it was always right there, up in the sky. Encased in a shell in the Constant. So i don't see why if that was the case with Alter it couldn't be the same for the "Constant"
There's always some kind of parallel with Alter and "Constant".

darkness vs light in a literal sense
malice vs peace.
corruption vs recreation. (What they do to creatures and everything around them)
immortality vs transcendence, something beyond of what we can be and understand.
both having a location created by the ancients and with a gateway to boot.
Both having met the Ancients and gave them powers and knowledge.
Both wanting to influence the Constant and everything around 'em however They see fit.
Both wanting an escape in favor of knowledge.
pure terror and pure enlightenment.
Insanity and enlightenment.
a power from below and a power from above.
and so on and so forth i could go on. There is obviously a pattern here, and the names "Alter" and "Constant" being "to change" and "unchanged" fits the bill with all of the parallels.

WITH this in mind, it wouldn't be too far off the wall to say like Alter, The "Constant" is inside of a shell as well. Maybe made out of dreadstone as Alter was made out of moon stone. Maybe it's multiple layers.  It needs an energy source just like Alter to become strong enough to release itself and that is why the existence of the gateway is there.
As the gateway is getting stronger, cracks are starting to appear below us with even stronger shadows because they're closer to the source. The source that is below deep in the ground. You startin' to see where i'm getting at? Obviously i can't change your mind on how you wanna look at it. it's all but a theory. But there is definitely a pattern and the evidence is there to boot.

Edited by PunkShark
  • Like 1
  • Sanity 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, PunkShark said:

The murals depict according to the survivors a shadow or shadowy substance overtaking their civillization. This was before they had knowledge of the fuel meaning the shadow magic has existed before then in the Constant. This was their discovery of the fuel and the shadows, the enviable power they got, what gave them a higher understanding of knowledge and granted them a fruitful life they had longed for. The gateway is built by the ancients, at first to probably get Them out as they've always wanted, but the ancients being greedy or arrogant has kept Them trapped for their own needs. (Similarly to Maxwell)

The things corrupted in the ruins are corrupted due to being close to the ruins. The ruins is an unstable power machine the ancients used for their civillization, Gateway being the core. But also the closest location to where They have an influence. Like Alter, anywhere Alter's moon pieces lands creates a place where Alter can see, change and communicate due to the enlightnenment and gestalts.

A thing to mind about the FW's quotes is that he also refers the Constant as "his" world, as Maxwell does. The fuel can do it all. it can create beyond your wildest imagination. So regarding rabbits for example it's possible the FW has created the rabbits himself, which is why they're shadows when you're low on sanity. They did exist in their time after all.

We had no clue of Alter's existence and it was always right there, up in the sky. Encased in a shell in the Constant. So i don't see why if that was the case with Alter it couldn't be the same for the "Constant"
There's always some kind of parallel with Alter and "Constant".

darkness vs light in a literal sense
malice vs peace.
corruption vs recreation. (What they do to creatures and everything around them)
immortality vs transcendence, something beyond of what we can be and understand.
both having a location created by the ancients and with a gateway to boot.
Both having met the Ancients and gave them powers and knowledge.
Both wanting to influence the Constant and everything around 'em however They see fit.
Both wanting an escape in favor of knowledge.
pure terror and pure enlightenment.
Insanity and enlightenment.
a power from below and a power from above.
and so on and so forth i could go on. There is obviously a pattern here, and the names "Alter" and "Constant" being "to change" and "unchanged" fits the bill with all of the parallels.

WITH this in mind, it wouldn't be too far off the wall to say like Alter, The "Constant" is inside of a shell as well. Maybe made out of dreadstone as Alter was made out of moon stone. Maybe it's multiple layers.  It needs an energy source just like Alter to become strong enough to release itself and that is why the existence of the gateway is there.
As the gateway is getting stronger, cracks are starting to appear below us with even stronger shadows because they're closer to the source. The source that is below deep in the ground. You startin' to see where i'm getting at? Obviously i can't change your mind on how you wanna look at it. it's all but a theory. But there is definitely a pattern and the evidence is there to boot.

 

22 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Gateway require shadow energy to work, and if the first strand of nightmare fuel came into the world through it, they would be caught in the unsolvable paradox of locking the key in the box.

 

Alright, It's honestly growing on me more i think about it. Still, i think this theory a stretch. Also as @Cassielu mentioned the fuel loophole is weird but it's probably something the loreweavers didn't think about.

I always thought of the shadows as invaders from the gateway. This something interesting to think about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

 

Alright, It's honestly growing on me more i think about it. Still, i think this theory a stretch. Also as @Cassielu mentioned the fuel loophole is weird but it's probably something the loreweavers didn't think about.

I always thought of the shadows as invaders from the gateway. This something interesting to think about.

Who's to say the gateway has even worked since we reactivated it? I feel the constant has been like it has for a while, I imagine when the gateway was working (Ancient era) it was like what we experience post-repairing the gateway, however with FW weaving and controlling the fuel they were somewhat 'safe', albeit slowly being corrupted. If Charlie is our new equivalent for FW, we've seen that shadows are loyal to her - it would stand to reason she could also offer us safety, I'd argue though that the survivors have become powerful in their own right, I'd imagine even Charlie can't guarantee that we'd be easily manipulated. 

I think the last real pawn in the game was Wilson, Charlie followed him to Max and took the throne. I think after we killed FW and gave her what she needed, her need for the survivors is minimal - or maybe it's part of a large plan. She seems happy with how things are progressing and by Wanda's account, we're just re-repeating events that she's already witnessed happen many times before, I guess we'll see :D

Edited by Uedo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...