Wilson needs his own exclusive torch recipes

I suppose many people around here would agree that Wilson's skill tree is kinda underrated, especially the torch tree. Almost every other character got skill tree also got their own unique crafting recipes. Woodie - carved hat and cane, Wolfgang - whistle and new types of dumbbells, Wormwood - Servants, ipecaca syrup and brambleshade armor, Wigfrid - new battle songs and equipments, Willow - new lighter skills. While Wilson got almost no unique crafting exclusive to himself. So here I suggest - Let Wilson craft his own unique types of torches.

For example, he can craft Lunar torches with pure brilliance when he chose lunar affinity, and Shadow torches with pure horror, when he's on the shadow side. The effect can be anything, such as absorbing or driving back the creatures of opposite side, similar like Charlie did in the Axiom Visus trailer. Or it could simply weaken the aligned enemies within the torch radius, like receiving more damage and dealing less. If the default duration lasts longer and the radius is bigger, it would also serve the purpose of light source as well. It could even possibly be refueled by corresponding repair kits. The possibility is endless.

Currently Wilson is one of the few craft-and-swap characters like Winona and Warly. Even with the existence of his own skill tree. His unique affinity torch recipe could give a second breeze to Wilson's actual gameplay.

Edited by HeatAndRun
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Suggestions are good. However there is one issue:

Problem of Wilson's skill tree is torch tree gets easily overshadowed by other light sources which forces players to pick transmutation skills which have little to no gameplay value.

The root of this problem is torch tree. Single worst item, seven skill points, still can't even complete with a lantern. Which means that, no matter how much you try, eventually this skill tree is going to get useless forcing you to pick those unfun transmutation skills.

I think Shadow and Lunar torches wouldn't fix this problem. What you suggested is a new mechanic just covered by the world "torch". Normal torches still will be useless, and transmutations will still be the most unfun mechanic in this game. (Not to mention Tragic torch part is lore wise wouldn't be possible.)

So, since klei said they won't rework torch tree, why not make it more usefull? Add endothermic torches, allow Wilson to fix these torches with their ingredients etc.

1 hour ago, HeatAndRun said:

Currently Wilson is one of the few craft-and-swap characters like Winona and Warly. Even with the existence of his own skill tree. His unique affinity torch recipe could give a second breeze to Wilson's actual gameplay.

I feel you my firend. Five years of waiting, after the crazy Maxwell rework, this is what we got. Scientists said it couldn't be done, but klei somehow managed to create a even worse Winona. At least the Writers are doing Wilson some justice right now. So there is that. :cold:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

I agree with you that Wilson's skill tree is underwhelming. I disagree that it should be improved. In my opinion, Wilson should not have much going for him. Right now his skill tree is just the right amount of underwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Sad Dupe 1
  • Potato Cup 1

12 hours ago, GimplyGoose said:

I agree with you that Wilson's skill tree is underwhelming. I disagree that it should be improved. In my opinion, Wilson should not have much going for him. Right now his skill tree is just the right amount of underwhelming.

That’s no excuse to keep him so bland though.. When Wigfrid got her rework she didn’t actually get much in her rework because over half the forums cried “She’s fine as Is!” But later as more and more characters got updated we found out Wigfrid was actually not fine as is, and her skill tree gave her several of the things she missed out on having in her rework due to people believing she was fine as is.

Thing is though that the current “Scrappy Scavengers” beta does several additional tweaks to Willow, Wigfrid & Wormwood but yet somehow shockingly despite Wigfrid being “THE Definitive combat character” out of that group, it was actually Wormwood who got the majority of combat related changes.

Wilson will continue to be looked at as “fine as is” until we tell Klei differently enough that they feel he needs more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GimplyGoose said:

Right now his skill tree is just the right amount of underwhelming.

But should it be so underwhelming that literally 7 out of 25 possible skills are just focused on a single item?

The full transmutation tree costs 10 points, yet it has decent variety that was good in day-to-day gaming sessions (excluding the meat-morsel transmute since that is somewhat "busted" but hey, I like using it too so lel). Hell, you can argue the transmutation tree was just QoL kind of thing for Wilson. The beard was Wilson's "mechanic" since DS so it will be kinda stupid to leave it behind. And again, I love the beard storage despite the silliness of the idea.

In my opinion, the more generalized/broader light source skill tree should be better for Wilson. Sure, he's seen with a torch since the first Don't Starve poster but like why and how the hell did Klei think it's a good thing to focus on the torch??? It's not like he hadn't used any other light sources, the prime example being the miner hat he wore in Forgotten Knowledge trailer which was like 3 years ago. The light source skill tree can be both good for new and experienced players, like keeping the radius and durability perks but also have other small yet difference special perks when you complete the required levels.

We also have multiple instances and proofs where Wilson used to dabble in medical science, mostly known for the one who created the meat effigy, the telltale heart and the booster shot; essentially the survivors' doctor despite how often he gushed about science. In Shipwrecked, he implied he can do amputations upon examining the Peg Leg item. DST-wise, most characters can just spam pierogi for healing food but new players will look upon the healing section of the crafting menu to heal themselves. It sure can be cool if Wilson now gets skilled enough with healing items due to the time spent surviving in the Constant, that he can reduce the amount of materials needed for those crafts.

Wilson is a character with many possible skills to get, yet Klei chose to set their eyes upon the blandest thing about him. That's the main gripe I have about his skill tree.

Edited by Anis5240
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

One of Wilson's defining characterists is his blandness. One of the benefits of Wilson's blandness is that other characters shine compared to him. Could Wilson be improved? Yes. Should Wilson be improved? I would argue: no.

One other factor is that I think the time it would take to tweak Wilson would be better spent on other more interesting characters.

Having Wilson able to create ''banner torches'' that have an AOE benefit to the team would be really cool, especially with his torch throw skill. I don't think he deserves to be bland anymore in DST, it made sense in Singelaplayer but it's a really outdated concept for him in a team game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1