Wortox tips needed

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

I'm on my way to becoming a Wortox Main...

And I don't know much about him other than butterflies by base = good (might not be good...)

And that eating "normal" foods give half the stats, souls and 'pomegranate?' don't have half stats

Also soul jumping is very effective if used right

If you have any tips on being a Wortox Main I'd be happy to take them :)

Avoid at all costs basing near Pigmen or Catcoon, it is no fun at all to end up low on health points, strolling through a Catcoon biome with dimly lit torch, only to be pounced and killed.

(Wortox is labeled as “Monster” so normally peaceful mobs like the ones mentioned above, just naturally hate him and want him dead.)

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of wortox too. Heres a few things ive learned while playing him.

Soul hopping can be used to dodge attacks. You can teleport just behind a boss like dfly as she swings at you, you have invincibility frames during the soul hop animation. This is great instead of regular kiting by allowing you to negate the slow down penality of marble armour boosting your defence by alot.

Also just because you can use souls to heal doesnt mean you shouldn't use healing items like a healing salve. For every soul you use to heal thats one less soul hop dodge you can do in a fight. So i tend to gather 20 healing salves for boss fights in general so i can use my souls for dodging instead of wasting them for healing. Soul hopping is alot of fun in boss fights!

I wouldn't even bother with regular food at all, crockpots and cooking is a massive waste of time for wortox (unless you are taming a pudgy beefalo). Just eat souls and wear a tam at all times. Get comfortable fighting nightmare creatures or i tend to use a siesta which is very hunger efficient for restoring large amounts of sanity.

Wortox is one of two characters i recommend taming a pudgy beefalo for. Pudgy beefalo gives you a 6.6 sanity gain while riding stacking nicely with a tam for passive sanity gain. Sanity management is wortox's biggest downside so any an all items or ways to regen it is a priority while playing him.

Dont use soul hopping as your main source of exploration. You want to travel by walking like every other character for 90% of the time. You can open map to teleport to any previously explored areas but its a waste of souls to teleport around like a madman while you are exploring. Save your souls for teleporting across rivers or across gaps in the caves or for teleporting across dangerous biomes like past splumonkey biomes in the ruins during nightmare phase or back to the lunar island.

You can be smart an map teleport beside farmable mobs for souls like bees or spiders if you do want to use it alot.

Love the way wortox starts at full strength on day 1, no grinding for gear like wanda or wurt. Hes great so have fun playing him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gashzer said:

Wortox is one of two characters i recommend taming a pudgy beefalo for. Pudgy beefalo gives you a 6.6 sanity gain while riding stacking nicely with a tam for passive sanity gain

Isn’t it better to just make an ornery beefalo and fight the constant nightmare creatures cheaply with it? No weapon loss on nightmares, and also getting hit a few times a day doesn’t become so punishing in the long run, spending resources on souls or armor.

Wortox can also benefit from an ornery for the increased speed, so you don’t need to spend souls for short trips, and when map hopping your beefalo will eventually teleport to you.

After FW you can raise up your sanity with beefalo+bone helm by summoning nightmares and killing them even when you already have enough sanity to stay sane, then use a tam to hold the sanity up. After celestial the crown works much better than the tam.
IDK a use for the pudgy sounds fun I still think you would gain much more with an ornery. 

As a side note i really hope they allow wortox to teleport the beef he is riding when his tree comes, it would open beefalo fighting soul-dodging, and it would correct the really unnecessary need to dismount your beef to map hop.
Healing the ridden beefalo with souls would be a nice touch too. Not like 20hp/soul would change a lot of a 1000hp creature, but for prolonged fights where you create a lot of souls, it could help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Isn’t it better to just make an ornery beefalo and fight the constant nightmare creatures cheaply with it? No weapon loss on nightmares, and also getting hit a few times a day doesn’t become so punishing in the long run, spending resources on souls or armor.

Wortox can also benefit from an ornery for the increased speed, so you don’t need to spend souls for short trips, and when map hopping your beefalo will eventually teleport to you.

After FW you can raise up your sanity with beefalo+bone helm by summoning nightmares and killing them even when you already have enough sanity to stay sane, then use a tam to hold the sanity up. After celestial the crown works much better than the tam.
IDK a use for the pudgy sounds fun I still think you would gain much more with an ornery. 

Ah but u still need to fight the nightmare creatures, with pudgy and tam you gain enough sanity to cover the cost of eating souls for food. Its a greater Qol for me to avoid fighting nightmares to begin with. Also feeding ornery every time for remount is pure cancer haha

But each to their own!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

feeding ornery every time for remount is pure cancer

Can’t argue that, it does get annoying. Specially now that a lot of things throw you off your beefalo and orneries won’t accept feeding after it, they just decide to fight o their own (and usually die)
Also it’s true that wortox doesnt need to use all the fuel he creates by existing, not even when you get the bone armor or if you use magi during boss fights.

Edited by ShadowDuelist

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Soul hopping can be used to dodge attacks

never worth it except bone cage and shadow rook/bishop, equip marble armor before getting hit

Also just because you can use souls to heal doesnt mean you shouldn't use healing items like a healing salve

that means that you shouldn't because it's faster for you to kill something to get a soul than to get a healing salve, although both are worse than getting blue shrooms as any other character

Wortox is one of two characters i recommend taming a pudgy beefalo for

extreme waste of time and resources, i can't imagine that being worth it considering they're slow and are useless for hitting anything and you need to spend a lot of food or practically never ride or hit anything using it, at that point you'd better do CC questline using a rider/ornery beefalo

Dont use soul hopping as your main source of exploration

wortox players explaining that their character is good because his only upside is extremely situational and he has a downside that forces you to waste time unlike most characters either limiting your options to already efficient stuff or not having a downside or having more than 1 upside and 1 downside

• Like 2

As for OP’s question, set up souls auto farms to help wortox accumulate souls passively: planting a flower in scaled floor next to magma pools or enclosing 5 bunny hutches next to a spider nest, or enclosing bunnymen around frog ponds, etc.
Do this in different places you walk by in your travels so you can restock without much effort and map hop wherever you need to go next.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, grm9 said:

never worth it except bone cage and shadow rook/bishop, equip marble armor before getting hit

It is for fun. Im not looking to kill these things the best way im looking to kill bosses with the most fun and by god Wortox soul hopping is fun during fights.

that means that you shouldn't because it's faster for you to kill something to get a soul than to get a healing salve, although both are worse than getting blue shrooms as any other character

For general healing souls are the best but for boss fights healing salves allow to soul hop more which = more fun.

extreme waste of time and resources, i can't imagine that being worth it considering they're slow and are useless for hitting anything and you need to spend a lot of food or practically never ride or hit anything using it, at that point you'd better do CC questline using a rider/ornery beefalo

Pudgy beefalo isnt slow its still much faster than walking cane and the biggest downside of wortox is fighting nightmare creatures every two minutes. Pudgy removes the need to fight them allowing you to om nom on souls for the rest of the game with no worries.

wortox players explaining that their character is good because his only upside is extremely situational and he has a downside that forces you to waste time unlike most characters either limiting your options to already efficient stuff or not having a downside or having more than 1 upside and 1 downside

But when a situation arises when you want to use the map hop, oh it feels so slick unlike wandas chunky rift network which takes wayyyy too long to setup.

Edited by Gashzer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

etc.

Ocean Trawlers to fill Tin Fishin' Bins are great to set up as you can optionally cook up surf for sanity, and Spider Hats are good for overproducing souls that can be dropped for sanity as well. It's like the other characters that get rewarded more for producing more (Wickerbottom, Wormwood) except with Wortox it comes with a capacity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gashzer said:

It is for fun. Im not looking to kill these things the best way im looking to kill bosses with the most fun and by god Wortox soul hopping is fun during fights.

For general healing souls are the best but for boss fights healing salves allow to soul hop more which = more fun

then specify that it's inefficient and you're only supposed to do that if you like doing that

Pudgy beefalo isnt slow its still much faster than walking cane and the biggest downside of wortox is fighting nightmare creatures every two minutes. Pudgy removes the need to fight them allowing you to om nom on souls for the rest of the game with no worries

everything i said still applies, it's slower than all other beefalo types 

But when a situation arises when you want to use the map hop, oh it feels so slick unlike wandas chunky rift network which takes wayyyy too long to setup

wanda's teleportation isn't her only perk and it has cd instead of requiring you to spend time getting stuff to use it though 

Edited by grm9

I forgot to mention something that should be super obvious but if your not aware of you need to pay attention to, Wortox has a Soul Capacity Limit & can only carry (I believe it’s 20?) so many souls before he overcharges and actually has a negative effect happen. I haven’t played Wortox in a while so I don’t recall what exactly happens, I think he loses a lot of sanity and drops all his souls. But anyway point is that being near a Wendy player can be absolutely deadly to Wortox due to soul collecting from Abby killing hordes of spider, bees, frogs, etc…

Ive even had a souls overload happen just being in a field of flowers that spawned too many butterflies lol- Luckily this last one has been patched out… because small insignificant creatures (butterfly) no longer drop souls when killed.

Just be aware at all times of the Wendy’s your playing with.. and avoid at all costs- Exceeding souls capacity, she’ll clock you out quickly.

I don't have anything useful because I barely play him, but here are some pointless ones:

1. The more souls you have the further you can blink with map. If you get 20 however you can teleport without range limit, which is a lot better than 19 I guess.
  2. If your inventory is full the souls will drop and heal you automatically. I guess you can restore sanity that way by fighting bees without having to worry about overdoing it.
  3. You can drop all of your souls on the ground at once, by having full inventory and then putting the item you hold with mouse where your souls were, pressing right mouse after. I don't know, some boosted healing on bee queen I guess. 
  4. You can teleport further by zooming out, and spinning camera to have desired location be in a screen corner 
  5. I guess try planting spider dens in random biomes for easy souls. 
  6. Meaty stew is op 
  • Health 1

Wortox is my second main and the only couple tips i'd add is use bug nets to have a stack of either light bulbus bugs or killer bees or both and keep them fed with like carrots, berries, flower pedals etc from time to time. This way you effectively have 60 souls assuming you have a full stack on you already, then you can kill the bugs for additional souls. Also never run around with 20 souls if you can because things die randomly and that can overload you and you'll take a sanity hit as well as lose half of your souls

Someone probably states this before, but having half nutrition is good is your desperate for food in bad situations. Like monster meat or red caps… which is very unethical, but it works. Some people use lighbugs or bees, but I personally used butterflies more. Is it less efficient? Also this is really obvious but it’s better to play wortox in multiplayer unless you are good with solo. Almost everything else is skill based, like kiting bosses, and killing Fuelweaver on console… For food? If you have a tallbird farm or lots of nests, I definitely recommend Tall scotch eggs. It’s so cheap for its stats. 2x twigs, a carrot, and tallbird egg. It even gives 30 Hp to wortox as well. 

I don't play Wortox at all, but considering he gets half stats from food it seems like you'd want some very efficient options.  Are tall scotch eggs good for Wortox?  150 hunger, heals for 60?  Tall birds aren't difficult to move, wall up and farm when you want.  Egg + big meats from tall birds, and some kelps, you get a steady rotation of scotch eggs and meaty stews.  I started doing these with Warly to cover his hunger / healing issues and found they worked very well.