hold mouse button <> extreme clicking?

I recognized that (with a spear in hand) repeatingly clicking on a spider nest will cause a much higher hitting frequency than a "click and hold" on a spider nest, although I don't know if there are differences in the damage done.

Maybe you would like to implement some kind of timer to recognize "extreme clicking" on an object and convert in (internally) into a "click and hold" since especially younger players seem to be having much more fun with the *click-click-click-yeah-get-it-down!*-way.:D

[...] since especially younger players seem to be having much more fun with the *click-click-click-yeah-get-it-down!*-way.:D

There was a time were everything you did had to be done the clickity-click way. But it got tiresome for some, and some other someones wanted to somehow play the game stealthy (that is, without waking up their "other half" in the middle of the night) and so the click-n-hold feature was born.

yes it does do more damage [...]

It doesn't do MORE damage, it just does the same damage in less time, but the weapon degrades accordingly. But I do agree that the system is limited as it is. Let the gamer decide how to kill stuff, as long as it doesn't brake the balance.