how do you guys play webber?

I've tried many times to enjoy this character, however, I feel like there are some grueling issues to this character that i have a horrible time playing alongside

• spiders that you don't pick up get deleted when you change shards, rollback, or exit the world
  • spiders that you DO pick up will sometimes just fall asleep when you do roll back, exit world, or change shards and then for some reason be unfriended???

I seriously don't know how you guys play with these. I've tried numerous times to work around these but its just horrible.

I just wanna have a silly time playing webber :wilson_cry:

• Like 1
  • Health 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

When it comes to Webber's spiders, quality is vastly more important than quantity. Unless you're specifically targeting a boss, 4-6 Nurses and Spitters will be plenty. Half a dozen of these guys is easily worth 20+ normal Spiders. That will be a big help when transferring the spiders between shards.

Nurses in particular are what can make Webber kinda busted in your day-to-day life. If you bring a Lureplant around with you, you can smack it with your Walking Cane whenever you need a quick top-off from the Nurses. Spitters with Nurse backup will pretty much make mincemeat out of anything that isn't a raid boss.

When playing by yourself, spiders will not despawn when you change shards. They should be waiting at the entrance where you left them. However, if you take a different exit, then they'll likely go back to being wild again.

I don't know how much different things are in multiplayer, but in single player, I've never had a single issue with spiders in any of the cases you've mentioned.

It's also worth noting that Webber has fairly impressive stats even without spiders. Even though Webber is one of my two most-played characters, I've gone whole chunks of the game on multiple playthroughs without bothering to recruit spiders because they simply aren't necessary. Webber has a lot of freedom in terms of what he does, especially since he has arguably the least restrictive diet in the game, apart from possibly Wormwood. (But Wormwood also doesn't get any extra benefits from most foods either, so I think Webber beats him out in terms of overall nutritional benefits.)

Even Webber's biggest "weakness" in terms of stats - his low sanity - is actually quite helpful. Because sanity is based on percentage, it means that while his sanity drops faster, it also goes UP faster as well. He could be completely insane, and after eating one Cooked Cactus Flesh or Cooked Green Cap and he's good to go. It's very nice.

In short:

-Don't use spiders if you don't have a use for them.
-The TYPE of spider is much more important than the number of spiders.
-Don't sweat Webber's low sanity; it's arguably more of a benefit than a hindrance.

Edited by Ryusuta
Removed an overly critical comment I made.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ryusuta said:

"Use beefalo to win" guy.

That's rude. Especially to someone who's been using beefalos even back when they were bad. 

The video features answers to both of the problems OP states. Using backpacks to carry spiders between shards, and using nest decoration to create a parking lot for your spiders when you want to leave server. 

I knew neither of these so yeah, this was insightful and interesting. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

That's rude. Especially to someone who's been using beefalos even back when they were bad. 

The video features answers to both of the problems OP states. Using backpacks to carry spiders between shards, and using nest decoration to create a parking lot for your spiders when you want to leave server. 

I knew neither of these so yeah, this was insightful and interesting. 

I suppose it might have been a little excessively snarky of me. I apologize.

• Like 1

If you have a game world that has been through WintersFeast at least once in its existence (or if you turn back on WF in world settings) then Congratulations: You now have Access to Gift Wrap, which is a Cheaper more affordable alternative to bundling wrap.

What makes this so special for a #Webber Main? Well.. each Gift Wrap can hold 4 Spiders, so 4 Gifts is 16 spiders in 4 inventory slots.

Spiders inside Gift Wraps can transfer between Surface and Cave Shards.

If you didn’t know this information, now you know and your welcome! :wilson_love:

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

14 hours ago, Ryusuta said:

When it comes to Webber's spiders, quality is vastly more important than quantity. Unless you're specifically targeting a boss, 4-6 Nurses and Spitters will be plenty.

that's the issue though: duck spent an entire season accumulating a spider army (not a big army, just an adequate army with a similar amount of spiders to what you said), but literally just switching shards virtually decimated his perfect arsenal, despite his precise efforts trying to prevent that.

it's frustrating trying to get even a few spitters/nurses due to their rarity and arguably expensive recipes, and losing them all due to unoptimal game mechanics makes said frustration even worse (the point of the post).

15 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Try these out. It's entertaining and you might learn something helpful

duck employed all the strategies lardee showed in the videos; however, the saturation of lardee videos didn't adequately acknowledge the issue he's having.

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, lenship2 said:

that's the issue though: duck spent an entire season accumulating a spider army (not a big army, just an adequate army with a similar amount of spiders to what you said), but literally just switching shards virtually decimated his perfect arsenal, despite his precise efforts trying to prevent that.

it's frustrating trying to get even a few spitters/nurses due to their rarity and arguably expensive recipes, and losing them all due to unoptimal game mechanics makes said frustration even worse (the point of the post).

duck employed all the strategies lardee showed in the videos; however, the saturation of lardee videos didn't adequately acknowledge the issue he's having.

I mean to be fair nurses are extremely cheap the cheapest variant of craftable spider considering it uses a resource that produces regularly. Spitters are overkill outside of boss fights really as all you need to keep your group alive in most fights are nurses so short of attempting to fight a boss you can get by with normal spiders and warriors or whatever is available and just carry some nurse cookies and/or two nurses with you.

Something I like to do is place a den in areas I think I might visit but has no spiders as not only can you refuel on spiders you may have lost for one reason or another but it doubles as a mini bases that offer food and shelter from the seasons while traveling. I actually do the same when I do the ruins despite all the depth dwellers it's a aspect of Webber I notice not many people take advantage of.

• Like 1