We need to talk about “RNG” Blueprints

DST has it’s fair share of mechanics that rely on RNG, some worse than others. Of them though, rare blueprints being RNG especially feels bad, when so many of the blueprints are consistent. It feels weird when some blueprints feel like being RNG for the sake of it.

Toadstool has suffered from this quite a bit. All of normal toad’s BPs are entirely RNG with zero consistent ways to get which blueprint you want. Misery toad changes that to where you always get a glowcap and 2 of the funcaps, but this still does not make the mushlight/any of the funcaps reliable to get.

The beta continues this trend with the elasticspacer and WOBOT (as you need a mat-o-chanic for it to work). While the WARBIS gear is also RNG, these two especially feel quite sucky. I wanted to try getting the new chest blueprint in my world, and I ended up spending 5 hours hunting down 4 of the Wagstaff pieces to try getting it, to no avail. It does not help that these are gated behind the Wagstaff junk structures in particular, due to how unreliable finding them is (from missing the infrequent Wagstaff cues to just outright being misdirected due to how the pathing works).

I would much rather have RNG blueprints be adjusted to be gated behind special requirements or reworked in general. Nightmare werepig dropping the dreadstone pillar only if you break all 3 of it’s pillars during the fight is a very cool example of how to make this system more fun. I really hope this could be changed for systems using RNG blueprints to be more fun (perhaps just making normal toad always drop a mushlight and basing the funcap drop on the season, with autumn being random and winter/spring/summer being blue/green/red respectively. 

• Like 14

This is a humble cause and I agree it sucks with Toadstool, however I would like to mention (not in bad faith, I do this as a megabaser a lot too) that there may be some "new content gimme now" bias influencing this thought here. If you're actively seeking out Wagstaff junk for this one new blueprint it'll definitely suck, but in normal gameplay of just passively accumulating the blueprints after lunar rifts open, I think it'd feel way more reasonable.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

(perhaps just making normal toad always drop a mushlight and basing the funcap drop on the season, with autumn being random and winter/spring/summer being blue/green/red respectively. 

Im probably one the few people that love to fight (M)Toadstool but it was always frustrating to fight it without the guaranty of getting the last funcap BP you wanted. That would be a very welcomed change !

Edited by kuroite
  • GL Happy 1