I decided to harvest some radbolts from a crashed satellite to power an interplanetary launcher.  Problem is, the satellite is in the middle of the planet so the bolts will need to travel up a good way to reach the surface.  Dupes also need to cross the path the bolts will have to take, so how do I keep the dupes from getting blasted?

3 minutes ago, psusi said:

how do I keep the dupes from getting blasted?

I use radbolt sensors to block passage with duplicant checkpoints. If there's a radbolt coming to the crossing the dupes wait at the checkpoints until the way is clear.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

how do I keep the dupes from getting blasted?

In addition to Knurek's approach, which works regardless of layout: if you can keep the crossings to "radbolts travel vertically, dupes travel horizontally", just remove/don't put in ladder segments in the radbolt path. Dupes actually teleport over 1-tile gaps and thus avoid collisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Knurek said:

I use radbolt sensors to block passage with duplicant checkpoints. If there's a radbolt coming to the crossing the dupes wait at the checkpoints until the way is clear.

But what if the duplicant decides to stop in the middle while there is no bolt coming, then gets blasted?

14 minutes ago, pnambic said:

In addition to Knurek's approach, which works regardless of layout: if you can keep the crossings to "radbolts travel vertically, dupes travel horizontally", just remove/don't put in ladder segments in the radbolt path. Dupes actually teleport over 1-tile gaps and thus avoid collisions.

Ahh, I was thinking that might be the case.  Good... no worries then.

11 hours ago, psusi said:

But what if the duplicant decides to stop in the middle while there is no bolt coming, then gets blasted?

I had them running in atmosuits so they didn't idle in between. Also a gap between tiles forced them to jump and never stand on the path of the radbolt.

11 hours ago, pnambic said:

if you can keep the crossings to "radbolts travel vertically, dupes travel horizontally", just remove/don't put in ladder segments in the radbolt path. Dupes actually teleport over 1-tile gaps and thus avoid collisions.

It looks like they also teleport while jumping from one tile to another. Maybe I didn't need the checkpoints after all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Knurek said:

It looks like they also teleport while jumping from one tile to another. Maybe I didn't need the checkpoints after all.

Err, yes, that is what I meant. Any horizontal 1-tile gap. It's only during vertical movement that you can't avoid some more complex solution, afaik at least.

6 minutes ago, pnambic said:

Err, yes, that is what I meant. Any horizontal 1-tile gap. It's only during vertical movement that you can't avoid some more complex solution, afaik at least.

Yes, sorry. Don't know why I was thinking you were talking about a vertical ladder.