New Power Suggestions Megathread

Figured making a thread would make it easier to share and discuss with everyone the power ideas I currently have, and whenever I come up with anything new. Feel free to share yours as well if you have any!

edit: If you want to avoid creating duplicate concepts that the devs are probably working on already, check out my other thread which includes all available abilities in the game (warning: spoilers).

Quickstrike: After a successful perfect dodge, your next Light Attack deals +100% damage to your attacker. 

• Idea taken from the Iriss helmet.
  • Heavy Attacks are really strong at the moment (and I mean very powerful with Crit+Power boosts+Wind Up builds) and I think light attacks could use a unique power boost as well. I feel like this benefits different playstyles, builds and loadouts equally; and it doesn't seem like it would overpower any of the current weapons or commonly used combos.

Pendulum: Damage is increased by 10%/15%/20% if your current target is different from the last one.

• 0.25s hidden cooldown upon being triggered to control damage output (like what we have with Orb of ZAP! and Parting Gifts).
    • The reason I thought of adding a cooldown for the effect is to avoid AoE attacks from causing and stacking too much damage at once; the cooldown means only one target ever receives the additional damage per triggered Pendulum in an AoE.

Whirlwind: After dodging 2 times (a dodge streak?), your next melee attack blows a gust of wind around you in a ?? radius.

• Bear with me for this one. Honestly, I think this is a pretty useless power as-is...BUT if collision becomes a mechanic on top of hitstun and knockback, AND let's say there's a power/skill/ability that could also spawn breakable obstacles*, then this could be a very unique and key power for that branch of powers/abilities (which is currently Shrapnel + Parting Gifts + Gustree Helmet/Armor)
    • (*) Shrapnel needs that kind of buff too imo.

Acrobat: You can now perform an acrobatic dodge with extended range right after dodging.

• After an acrobatic roll, return to the normal dodge (which could then be followed by another acrobatic dodge).
  • The acrobatic roll is unique and does not stack with the Gnarlic pants; so if the pants is equipped anyway, it would only affect the normal dodge.
  • Double range maybe? A parkour safety roll animation is the image I also have in mind.
  • I think the extended dodge range is something that would really benefit Balanced and Power builds without sacrificing armor slots.

Sweep Kick (shift skill): Deal ?? damage and knock enemies back in a small radius.

• Can be used to cancel your dodge animation.
  • A carefully positioned mid-roll sweep kick sounds like a pretty cool and potentially useful alternative to currently available skills and builds (see: Agile). This might also work quite well for cannon users and even powers like Acrobat and Whirlwind suggested above.

Thick Skin: Reduce damage taken by 5%/10%/15%

Edited by molivious

On 2/27/2024 at 5:56 PM, molivious said:

Whirlwind: After dodging 2 times (a dodge streak?), your next melee attack blows a gust of wind around you in a ?? radius.

• Bear with me for this one. Honestly, I think this is a pretty useless power as-is...BUT if collision becomes a mechanic on top of hitstun and knockback, AND let's say there's a power/skill/ability that could also spawn breakable obstacles*, then this could be a very unique and key power for that branch of powers/abilities (which is currently Shrapnel + Parting Gifts + Gustree Helmet/Armor)
    • (*) Shrapnel needs that kind of buff too imo.

I just realized that the Bulbin Buddy's (helmet) effect is already similar to this, dealing Knockback + Damage in a very small area instead of a radial gust. To an extent, Mother Treek's body armor also does something similar. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for those and try to build around them more in future updates even if it means ignoring the superior Gnarlic hat.

Anyway, I came up with two more aggro-based powers, although they could work as gear or gem abilities as well.

Marked: Deal additional damage when more rots are targeting you.

• Maybe 5~10% per rot with a soft cap? Too much and it might be too good, especially when it boosts all attacks and stacks with so many other things (coughLichKingcough).
  • Notable but unrelated, Mother Treek's headpiece boosts damage (although very low at 5% as of the last update) to all regular rots with no requirement.

Witness Watch Me!: After killing a rot, draw the aggro of other rots around you.

• This probably needs a larger radius than Orb of ZAP! to be useful in co-op and should only appear as a drop if there's more than 1 player in the game.

On another note, I'll probably create a separate forum post later to list all abilities (gems, armor, skills, powers) we know as of the last update so we can avoid posting duplicates that might already exist or is WIP. I don't even remember half of them, so that's going to be a good refresher while we sit and wait. Done! Link in first post.

Edit: In regards to Acrobat, it turns out that the devs already have made a dungeon power of the same name before. I don't think I found this power dropping in the last playtest, but the infinitely chained dodges would have definitely made the Bulbin helmet quite powerful.

Edited by molivious

I made a suggestion post recently where I suggested some powers that synergize with Hit-n-run builds that try to deal as much damage as possible in a single hit which I feel fall short to hitstreak builds which are very strong right now. I think the issue with the prevalence of those being the strongest is that it unfairly favors weapons that naturally build hitstreak better, like cannon and spears while leaving weapons like Hammer feeling like they cant get as strong builds as they can, so these are more about adding power to a single hit, that stack with other powers like it, like Lil Schemer and Strong Start.

I can post them here too:

Blunt Expertise: A power that is stronger the *less* hitstreak you have. Gives 50% more damage, but the power loses flat 5% of its damage per hitstreak until it reaches zero, so at 25 hitstreak it does no additional damage but below that it does more. Upgrading it gives it 100% more damage, but you lose 10% per hitstreak, so only until 10 hitstreak it gives more damage.

This is a power that adds some frontloaded damage incase you dont have many powers that are proportionate to hitstreak, and of course stacks with powers like Lil Schemer, Strong Start and so on.

Friendly Fury: If an ally has attacked an enemy, your next heavy attack will deal 50% more damage to that target.

This does that joining fights that your ally is busy with gives you a good damage headstart. Naturally more useful in co-op, but synergizes with summoner powers as well.

Wake-up Caller: If an enemy hasnt been hit by you in 4 seconds, your next attack will deal 25% more damage to that target. Upgrading it will raise it to 40% but increase the timer to 6 seconds. The beginning of every room starts with each enemies timer being full so you have to wait for the timer to occur.

Basically a combination of A Strong Start and Lil Schemer.

Explosive Finale: Cause your next hit to deal 25% more damage when your hitstreak has ended. Upgrading it will cause the damage to scale with hitstreak, +1% per hitstreak.

The idea behind this power is that unupgraded, it favors hit-n-run builds, while upgrading it, makes it favor hitstreak builds. So in a way this power synergizes with both kinds of builds well, depending on if you upgrade it.

Edited by Alfons100