Capacity decreased further???

The problem I see (and I always saw) with the weight system is the same problem you see with the size system; none of them work individually.

Size only

Rocks are small, I should be able to carry a lot You are now magically carrying 3 tons of weight.

Weight only

Berry bushes are really lightweight, I should be able to carry a lot WHERE? They are bulky.

That's what I meant when I said you'd be trading a faulty system for another one. You either implement a way of pulling/pushing heavy stuff like rock/wood leaving the inventory for things a real person could carry in the wilderness (%10 of your body weight with a proper backpack with waist straps? %15?) or you end up being a Fallout Supermutant who can carry 5 trees in his pockets and still swing a spear to a moving enemy and hit him.

I think it's not worth the "migration" it would require to implement a system like this.

I understand that you want to be forced to plan better your equipment, but I feel that you are one of the few who don't have inventory management issues as of right now. And I think it's because you don't build half the things there are to build. You don't refine materials, you don't build traps, you don't make forest fires to collect charcoal, you don't venture in swamps to get a rush, etc.

Is it sustainable? Yes. Is it engaging? I don't think so.

But that's not the inventories fault.

Lots of interesting ideas and suggestions. I won't bother quoting since there are just too many people to quote from in this thread. ;)

Rather I'll just say what I think and if you made a similar suggestion, then that's my way of saying I agree with you. First off, I think the way stacks work are fine. the DEVs keep tweaking it, but I haven't seen it broken. Like I've said elsewhere I wouldn't complain about a stack maximums unless they dropped below 10 items per stack.

In contrast, there's encumbrance system, with item weights. God... I think we've all suffered the wrath of those systems. While realistic I always hated running back and forth because I had to unload items I found in order to make more room for new items, based solely on weight. Fallout, Skyrim, and a bunch of D&D games were like that. Inventory management became its own mini-game... and not a fun one.

Hearing Excess dicussing item bulk is in simple terms the Diablo inventory system. Every item has a size and you need to Tetris it into a spot. And we all know that's not fun either.

So we come back to stacking, and right now they've even mixed in a feeling of weight/size by restricting stack limits to the resource's size (small/medium/large). I think that's a good idea. They can then tweak the maximums for those three stack types accordingly over time.

As for the need for refining resources in order to make other resources... my opinion is I prefer refining. But then again I play Minecraft where refining is the order of the day. Of course it would be nice if maybe further placeables were added to account for why/how refining occurs. Maybe a work bench, anvil, ect. I'm not sure the game needs this, but it might be interesting.