Dragonfly event is actually pretty fun

My pc was broken for a few days and was fixed now, so i was able to try it out yesterday and get my own opinion on the minigame. It is fun and intense. I used a malbatross bill for context and some wooden patches with a few checkpoints, it is good customisable content. It can get really tense, you can bump the monkey to slow them down.

It is not as janky as i saw everyone say, the boat Ai worked well enough. The structures look nice in the water. Everyone is saying it is super rushed and lazy, but there are alot of fun details like the countdown to the race and the really pretty structures that i can't really believe that. (They probaby are rushed though because of dedline)

They need to fix the way you die though. When your boat is destroyed, it should dissapear and reappear after the race finishes. Drowning should have 0 penaltys during the race. And yes, i still believe this event should have been about the dragonfly mob and this would make sense for year of monkey, but what we got is still fun for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

I'm mostly annoyed at the boat breaking, not enough to make me lose the race, but enough to make me buy a new boat.

The event has the feel of a mario party type minigame, but you don't really react with your friends in interesting ways, bumping them would probably have been more effective, maybe letting players place a set amount of booeys as an obstacle, but boat breaking just feels closer to paying taxes than excitement or panic.

• Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

In fact, the event itself is okay, but the most important thing is that it has nothing to do with dragonflies. If they could hold such an event during the Year of the Monkey, I think it might be more popular.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, zhangsheng said:

In fact, the event itself is okay, but the most important thing is that it has nothing to do with dragonflies. If they could hold such an event during the Year of the Monkey, I think it might be more popular.

Actually I have my own suggestion for year of Monkey, and it’s not shadow boat racing…

Id like that during the event, Pirate Monkeys spawned as sort of a hound wave, both at sea, and on land.

The difference is that- During Year of Monkey… they would drop Bananas, & treasure maps when killed.

(they’re pirate monkeys after all.. surely they got some secret buried treasure trove of goodies somewhere!)

Pirate Monkeys during the event can not “steal” items from the player, instead, they’re treated more like the Gingerbread pigs, where you’ll see it, follow it, find where it’s stashed it’s treasures- Etc.

This boat racing event is horrible…

And if you need deeper explanation than that- Just go play the event on an Xbox Series X/S with a boat that has a mast & steering wheel- Your better off just using the oar and rowing the boat..

Dont believe me? Go try it. -_-

3 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I like the event and the stuff bring with it. Having a entire boat in one inv slot is a great reward

It’s a lie, the description reads “fully decked out boat” build it though & you realize it’s still missing a few key features to be “fully decked out”

Such as Deck Illuminator & Boat Bumpers.

Sure it’s a Boat.. but it’s not a fully decked out one. Description is misleading.

Hilariously, they even give you an OAR in the package which isn’t even a “Boat” Upgrade… so it’s insulting to get an Oar, but not the actual boat parts.

• Shopcat 1

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s a lie, the description reads “fully decked out boat” build it though & you realize it’s still missing a few key features to be “fully decked out”

Such as Deck Illuminator & Boat Bumpers.

Sure it’s a Boat.. but it’s not a fully decked out one. Description is misleading.

Hilariously, they even give you an OAR in the package which isn’t even a “Boat” Upgrade… so it’s insulting to get an Oar, but not the actual boat parts.

Imo a fully decked out boat is an anchor, a fridge, a campfire and fishing tin.